Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
As I recall, the series was cut short, so they rushed the ending; but then after that, the number of episodes was extended, leading to the giant epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
One thing I love about Macross sequels is they take the ending of SDF and run with it. They have technicians and engineers that know aerospace and they now have a culture centered around pop idols.

Later series added that strong emotions, normally expressed in song, cause ripples in fold space.

Also, I'll note that the shield bits aren't powered by song, it looks like, just controlled that way.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
7 is my second favorite Macross, but yeah, it would be better if it was shorter, the beginning is rough, and I don't remember when it went from a trudge to "I must binge this until the end."

It's a toss up to me whether the worst part early on is Basara or the fairly low number of songs constantly being repeated.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
On the plus side, I can actually list to Planet Dance. Minmay singing "kyun kyun" makes me want to murder. Oddly, though, I like covers of it.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Because Tatsunoko likes free money.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Gaius Marius posted:

You could cut 2/3 of Macross 7 and have a much better series

While I agree with this, the length of the series is partly why I grew to despise Basara and how Gamlin became my favorite so slowly that I didn't even realise I no longer disliked him at first.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Haven't gotten to see the ep yet. Does black Shin have a scarf?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I read Devolution a few weeks ago. Some of the concepts are cool, but it feels very much less than the sum of its parts.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
All sorts of stuff made it over in small numbers, so there's several it could be. Technically, there was even an imported release of golion before Voltron existed.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I want verification that we're actually getting it in the USA. Everything I've seen says it's actually Star, which is a part of D+ for most of the world, but not USA or Latin America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Sometimes Star stuff gets on hulu, sometimes it doesn't.