Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I figure this is as good a place as any to talk about Dragon's Heaven, an OVA from 1988 directed by Makoto Kobayashi. Kobayashi is most famous for his mecha designs for stuff like Gundam, and one of the robots in this OVA looks exactly like the Baund Doc. The story is about a robot called Shaian whose human pilot is killed and decides to take a nap. He wakes up after a thousand years when a girl named Ikuru approaches his vicinity and finds out his rival from a thousand years ago is still alive. It's pretty short, with the first couple minutes being person-sized models of the two main mechs being shot dramatically, and the last fifteen minutes being a making-of of the two models. The reason I suggest it though is that it looks loving rad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I watched Macross Plus and it was super cool. Are there any other super short OVAs with mechs? (Aside from Giant Robo and Gundams)

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Droyer posted:

Gunbuster + Diebuster

also except that

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does FLCL count?

*looks at own avatar, then looks at the camera*

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

a kitten posted:

haha

Anyway, Voices of a Distant Star has a mech, it's only a half hour long.

oh yeah, I've been meaning to watch that. I'll check that and Dangaioh out.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The character animation in Voices of a Distant Star looks like it was made as a test for some adaptation of an early 2000s webcomic

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Voices of a Distant Star isn't very good. The story's simple enough, but the logistics of it make no sense at all. If the girl is eight years forward in time, then he shouldn't get a message for 16 years. Unless the phone is somehow instantaneous, in which case they should just be able to mail each other whenever after 8 years. Also, those are amazing phones either way. The animation is bad, not the CGI, just the characters. The character designs are amateurish, even. The CGI is decent for the time, and directed way better. The backgrounds are the nicest part, and there's pretty much all there is to a lot of scenes, so whatever.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Cool Gundam art by Kobayashi

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I meant to post that in the Gundam thread but whatever!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Man, Votoms would be a better show without the three knuckleheads who follow Chirico everywhere

Erg posted:

Ana's calling her father for the first time after hearing about the discontinuation thing. Her father seems relieved to see her, but then hangs up the call while crying and says that "Even if the Medaiyu family were discontinued... Medaiyu blood will keep flowing as long as Ana is alive."

Then the scene switches to Ana crying while saying thank you. I'm assuming something very bad is about to happen to her family? Or she's just grateful that her father's letting her see the world?

I think the idea is that the railroad might take him out of power, thus leaving his fate up in the air

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Don't you dare say poo poo about Coconna!

their whole purpose is basically to come out of nowhere and save Chirico when he most conveniently needs it, it's lame

the episode where Zophie is drudging behind Chirico and Fyana as they go through the desert is tense and great, and then the resolution is somehow Coconna and the gang showing up to save Chirico

Kanos posted:

Chirico's three buddies are really important components of the core thrust of the show's plot, which is Chirico discovering what it means to be a human being and not an emotionless murder robot. They're absolutely vital in humanizing him.

humanizes him as in they love him and he blankly stares back at them? his arc with Fyana accomplishes humanizing Chirico a million times better

Parallax fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 10, 2016

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Macross 7 is super frustrating!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

more like super great

speak on that

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

unless it gets great after the first 15 episodes, in which case don't

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I've liked parts of it so far, but it has a similar problem to the original in that the pacifist character seems ridiculous in the situation they're in

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah! I mean, spoiler alert, it turns out he's right, but the part before people realize that is great. The army guys are mad because he gets in their way, and the rest of Fire Bomber is mad cause he misses gigs. But Basara doesn't care, he just wants to move that mountain.

I think he just comes off as an unlikable butt for the most part, though

I will say things have picked up the last few episodes, but man, are those first 12 a slooooooooooooog

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

also Mylene is cute

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Srice posted:

There's variety in the music played early on but it's incredibly easy to forget that because Planet Dance is used waaaay more than everything else in those early eps.

there's maybe two other songs that get played over and over, but god gently caress planet dance

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

SpikeMcclane posted:

On the plus side, I can actually list to Planet Dance. Minmay singing "kyun kyun" makes me want to murder. Oddly, though, I like covers of it.

I like the songs in the original but it has the same problem of playing them way too often

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Ray is also a cool character since he believes in Basara's pacifism but still believes in the idea of people defending themselves and others with force

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I think I had an issue with Basara's personality earlier on when it was unclear whether the show wanted us to like him or not, but now it's kinda clear that they want you to be somewhat irritated by him. Also, can we not label every fictional character who has trouble communicating as autistic, Basara clearly isn't interested in communicating with people in the normal sense, rather than completely unable to.

I also think the "love triangle" might be more interesting than people are giving it credit for, and a kind of inverse of the original's.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Srice posted:

I find Basara interesting as a character which is all I really care about. Likability be damned.

Yeah, "likability" is something I only have an issue with if something is trying to say, "hey, look at how cool and great this character is" and instead the character is total butts

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Kanos posted:

He is explicitly 100% not a Minmay who is a normal person in pretty much every respect besides having magic singing powers and it was super ballsy of them to make a character like that the lead protagonist in a franchise that has become about idol girls.

Minmay is definitely not a normal person, she needs validation from other people to be happy, not to mention how she acts after Hikaru and she are freed after being stuck together for days and days. Every character in the original is pretty hosed in some way or another

Honestly I just wish we could go without calling any character with communications issues autistic

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Basara is the main character but he is not the viewpoint character. The show is about him but the audience is expected to like and empathize with Gamlin early on. You're not supposed to sympathize with Basara and you're supposed to find him unlikable. It's a risky thing to do because yeah, people will dislike the guy, but the show makes it clear that is intentional. People in-show respond to Basara that way too and the show is careful to slowly filter in information and most importantly to present Basara as *wrong.* He isn't always right. He has the right idea but not the right solution.

I think Mylene serves as more of the viewpoint character, but yeah.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

quote:

Instead, they opted to play to a wide age group by giving Voltron an epic Game of Thrones feel with some humor, and upping the danger level.

ah

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

it's kind of the same situation with speed racer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

wielder posted:

Which reminds me...did Kyoukai Senki do anything interesting lately other than having good 2D mecha fights? I guess not.

they maybe killed off the main dude. i don't buy it but if they carry through with it i will give them a tiny bit of credit