Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

In Training posted:

Awwww hells yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As much as I caught the Haruhi bug a couple years back, I don't think the complete series (minus the movie) is worth the asking price. Hopefully there will be a sale soon, considering some sites have already dropped the price by $30

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got the notification that my package has been shipped. Idk when it will actually get here though.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

In Training posted:

Got the notification that my package has been shipped. Idk when it will actually get here though.

It took a week to get to me in CT from Illinois... now the problem will be excavating my PS3 from the pile of stuff it's hiding under since I have no other bluray-capable devices.

I messaged you my USPS tracking number on steam if you feel like perusing it. Basically, cheapest possible USPS shipping.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

In Training posted:

I ordered mine through Amazon so I'm still waiting. My Iron Giant blu-ray is on its way now though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Never forget

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Never forget

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My complete set should be here tomorrow. I'll post an epic unboxing pic series if people want to see the details.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

My complete set should be here tomorrow. I'll post an epic unboxing pic series if people want to see the details.

(Yes please.)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Contents: 7 Blu Ray discs, 1 DVD (Melancholy: 3 Blus for series + Extras, one blu ray extras disc and one DVD extras disc; Haruhi-Chan: 1 Blu Ray for series + Extras; Nagato: 2 Blu Rays for series + Extras) along with 8 cards with Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan style character portraits (blech) and one pamphlet for directions on viewing order (lol)

The Box:

That 4th box is largely empty (held the cards) and can fit the blu ray of the film if you have it (if it exists yet? My Blu Ray dvd combo box is too large to fit and I wasn't aware of other US releases of the film)

Inside:

Back of each card has a black and white SOS Brigade logo. When I saw them I was hoping for baseball card style write ups or something lol.

The boys looking good on the extras. endless eight are all on one disc, which is perfect for the "play all" scenario!

TBH I wish the Broadcast Order was listed first so new viewers aren't led astray but its cool they included all these details. Other page has the title of every episode, the disc theyre on and the episode # for reference. I never knew about the Japanese order, strange, even though its just Season 1 followed by Season 2 but with Adventures #00 to kick it off.

My shelf is ready for Rebuild 4.44 and the Eva boxset that we will never get :D

Looking forward to rewatching the show again, maybe for once Ill watch chronological because I never have, but whenever I think of doing that Id rather just watch broadcast order. Also looking forward to finally watching Haruhi Chan, and uh, maybe Ill check out disappearance of nagato even though I really dont have any interest in it (I didnt even know it was coming with this set lol)

Extras listing:
    Melancholy
  • Special Ending (??)
  • Textless OP and ED
  • US and Japanese trailers
  • Making-of (very excited for this!)
  • "New Mysterious Discoveries Journey"
  • Location Scouting Video
  • Promo and CM collections
  • Behind the scenes of Aya Hirano's Music Video for Bouken Desho Desho (awesome)
  • Anime Expo 2007 Guest of Honor Intro (?)
  • Uncut Launch Event Video
  • Nekoman Gallery #1-5
  • Broadcast Previews for Season 1
  • Special Teaser
  • Endless Eight Prologue - A Special Audio Slideshow (??)

Haruhi-chan
  • How about Oniguchi? Episodes
  • Oniguchi commercials
  • TV Commercial spots
  • Retail promo videos
  • Textless OP and ED
  • Trailers

Disappearance of Nagato
  • OVA - "I Cannot Let Summer Break End!" (is this the Nagato version of EE?)
  • Textless OP and ED
  • TV Spots
  • US and Japanese Trailers
  • Blu-Ray Promo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Immediately queued up the last 10 minutes of Melancholy VI, ftw

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nice card of a girl that barely appears

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The translation is kinda lame and dry. All the cool techno babble that Nagato spouts is super edited (they don't use the phrases Data Integration Thought Entity or auto-evolution or anything for example. I jumped to the start of Melancholy III to check)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

You'd think they'd at least have taniguchi before whoever the hell that is.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

She even has her own character songs

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

The translation is kinda lame and dry. All the cool techno babble that Nagato spouts is super edited (they don't use the phrases Data Integration Thought Entity or auto-evolution or anything for example. I jumped to the start of Melancholy III to check)

That's not promising

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

In Training posted:

You'd think they'd at least have taniguchi before whoever the hell that is.

Linnaeus posted:

That's probably why she got a card

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's loving depressing actually :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's peppered in infrequently but it seems the translation is like "entity" and "alien". Also when Kyon says "I have a thing for ponytails" it's translated as "I have a ponytail moe" which makes no sense to a lot of people probably.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In Training posted:

It's peppered in infrequently but it seems the translation is like "entity" and "alien". Also when Kyon says "I have a thing for ponytails" it's translated as "I have a ponytail moe" which makes no sense to a lot of people probably.

...Hell, that makes no sense to me. A Moe isn't a fetish, it's a person. Are you claiming Haruhi as your slave, Kyon? Are you?! :argh:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 12, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In Training posted:

i don't think i have a ponytail moe makes sense in any context really

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It only made sense to me because I already knew what he was saying lol. I replayed it and he does say "moe" so it must be the most literal translation ever

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

Extras listing:
    Melancholy
  • Special Ending (??)
  • Textless OP and ED
  • US and Japanese trailers
  • Making-of (very excited for this!)
  • "New Mysterious Discoveries Journey"
  • Location Scouting Video
  • Promo and CM collections
  • Behind the scenes of Aya Hirano's Music Video for Bouken Desho Desho (awesome)
  • Anime Expo 2007 Guest of Honor Intro (?)
  • Uncut Launch Event Video
  • Nekoman Gallery #1-5
  • Broadcast Previews for Season 1
  • Special Teaser
  • Endless Eight Prologue - A Special Audio Slideshow (??)

Some cool features in there. I think the "guest of honor" video is the same as the one in the old dvd set.

:negative:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

In Training posted:

:negative:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Linnaeus posted:

...I missed this before, but...what? I don't think she's even that important in the books. What does she even sing about? "Hi. I'm in this show too. Forgot about me, didn't you?"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

...I missed this before, but...what? I don't think she's even that important in the books. What does she even sing about? "Hi. I'm in this show too. Forgot about me, didn't you?"

I think she might play a larger role in a couple of the books that didn't get animated? No idea though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
That's Kimidori, right? Geez, balloon animal version has a bigger role. Card should've been for Kyon's sister or the idiot duo.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, it's implied in the show that she's an alien like Yuki and Ryoko (which she is), so she got a character song along those lines lamenting that she's uninvolved. The novels eventually revealed that her personality was different from the character song though.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Given how bad the translation sounds im going to give the big box set a miss

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

StandardVC10 posted:

I think she might play a larger role in a couple of the books that didn't get animated? No idea though.

Tsuruya played a somewhat larger role in disappearance of Yuki, which the collectors edition includes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kytrarewn posted:

Tsuruya played a somewhat larger role in disappearance of Yuki, which the collectors edition includes.

They're probably talking about Kimidori.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

Given how bad the translation sounds im going to give the big box set a miss

Yeah I went with the $50 set because of that. Still looks very pretty and the special features are cool.

I hope that funimation's translation improves for the Disappearance release though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Given how good some of the fan subs are--particularly for Haruhi--I'm surprised they can't do a better job.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Agronox posted:

Given how good some of the fan subs are--particularly for Haruhi--I'm surprised they can't do a better job.

The fansub I have (I haven't opened my collectors' box yet) basically stole a majority of the dialogue from the LN translations. I'm surprised the official translation didn't do the same.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FzjFX6gzOk

lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Definitely go see A Silent Voice if you get the opportunity, folks. It was so, so good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fangz posted:

Definitely go see A Silent Voice if you get the opportunity, folks. It was so, so good.

Do you know if its showing in the US anywhere?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Never forget

On kind of a whim I read through the Simulwatch thread the other day, despite not noticing it when it was happening. I had kind soured on Haruhi after season 2 and finding the movie a tad bit underwhelming (Though I still did enjoy it), but the thread really made me realize how much visual storytelling I had been missing in the series. Shoutout to everyone that posted there, particularly In Training for all of the screengrabs and Radio Spiricom for the excellent write-ups. Really made me want to watch through all of the show again- even every Endless Eight episode.

Never thought I would want to do that again after watching them as it aired back in 2009. Endless recursion of time indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Something I just noticed about the collector's edition - anyone know why the girls are all holding lemons in their character art while the guys both have leaves?

• Locked thread