Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruc
May 30, 2006

ghetto wormhole posted:

Wait how do you votekick people?? Also is it possible to mute people who aren't members of your party?

On ps4 at least you just bring up the scoreboard with the touchpad and Dpad to them, you can mute AND votekick from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
You vote kick and mute the same way. On PC it's a little weird, you use tab to open the score board, arrow keys to navigate. Once you find the person you want to kick, press return and you will get a choice of vote kicking or muting. There's no real prompt to other players for doing it; it's not a mandatory yes or no vote like most games. Instead, they have to do the same thing, and the only indicators are a 30 second timer at the top right of the screen, and a red door next to their name in the scoreboard, showing how many votes they have. 3 votes and they're gone.

It's especially useful in ranked as it will still lock people out of ranked for 15 minutes. Use/abuse this as you desire.

Great Beer posted:

That reminds me, why are all the GIGN operatives wearing what appear to be street clothes with tactical gear over it? Seems odd that, of all the operatives, the Germans would be the casual and under-prepared ones.

I think this is a reference to the tendency of German (and Dutch) emergency response operators to wear their tactical gear over their street clothes. When pictures of hostage situations and other such things surface in these countries, you often see law enforcement wearing gear very similar to what GSG-9 wears in-game. I presume units like GSG-9 have more lax regulations regarding what they can wear out in the field, and that look represents the idea that in an emergency response situation one such operator might choose to only wear the basics.

pandaK posted:

Can enemies see your laser pointers?

Yes but I believe they turn off when you aim down sights.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 28, 2015

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Someone said in Mumble last night that it's possible to disable the opening cinematics when you launch the game, anybody know how?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Liberatore posted:

You can skip the intro videos by renaming the two files under Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Rainbow Six Siege - Open Beta\videos\startup\

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Ah, thanks.

If anybody wants to play on PC, I'll be on for a few hours, add Keshik_ on Uplay. I'm also in mumble.

Keshik fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 28, 2015

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Also, the looks of the 5 CTUs seem to represent a different, sometimes fictionalized aspect within that unit. SAS all wear gas masks and historically they've always worn them for CT work, and the faces of SAS operators are only ever shown if they're deceased or retired. Two FBI operators don't wear helmets and the other two don't exactly hide their faces, hinting at how they're often depicted in movies and TV shows; Had they gone with a realistic look, the FBI CTU would have looked quite bland. GIGN is the closest to reality, but GIGN gear is very unique looking, with their navy blue clothing, shoulder pads with the GIGN patch and so on. The Spetsnaz CTU represents that rudimentary, but efficient and personalized — Russian — look.

Going back to GSG-9, 3 of their operators are quite fast so I guess those sneakers do help with running.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 28, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
There were officers outside the Bataclan wearing casual clothes with their tactical gear on top. It's just a standard thing for CTUs and SWAT-like units. Changing into your uniform can be a waste of time in emergencies.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Also wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a tactical vest is tacticool as possible and the more tacticool you are the more likely you are to win.

It's a proven science.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Some Redditor posted the list of the map names at launch:

House
Oregon
Hereford
Club House
Plane
Consulate
Bank
Kanal
Chalet
Harvard Faculty
Russian Cafe
Source: File names in the pre-load of the full game
Harvard Faculty seems to be a University based map set in Cambridge, USA.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Also, I made a post titled "Ubisoft, I plead you: increase the tickrate" over both Reddit and the official forums, with the intent of increasing visibility to this much demanded change. It's the first post on the frontpage of the Rainbow6 subreddit atm.

If you care, please kindly drop an upvote/comment/whatever so hopefully we can get a proper dev response. If you only care a little, one community manager already mentioned in a different thread that he would pass along the issue to the devs.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1340029-Ubisoft-I-plead-to-you-Increase-the-Tick-Rate

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 28, 2015

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Don't directly link people to reddit posts and tell them to upvote, they can end up getting their accounts shadow banned.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's clearly a bug or hack that messes with damage going around too. I can't count the amount of times I see 120 damage assault rifle/smg shots hitting me in the legs or back for an instakill.

Edit: Actually is Ubisoft running any anti-cheat software? It's not Steamworks, so no VAC and I don't recall seeing any Punkbuster or whatever running.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 28, 2015

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

"THIS IS A MERCY KILLING.......... HI MY NAMES JEFF"

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ghetto wormhole posted:

The most autistic person on earth just teamkilled two of us at the start of the match because "he warned us he was teamkilling anyone without a mic". Everyone on the team had a mic. Now he's using allchat to tell the enemy team where we are after we teamkilled him.

I played with a team with no mics early today on a ranked match and we destroyed the other time twice in a row. We all just got in the right mind set of following each other and working to breach together.

It's also sadly the only time I've team killed someone when he got in front me just after I blow the door and started to fire and the team on the other side.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Great Beer posted:

That reminds me, why are all the GIGN operatives wearing what appear to be street clothes with tactical gear over it? Seems odd that, of all the operatives, the Germans would be the casual and under-prepared ones.

Not sure why, but

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Wolfy posted:

Don't directly link people to reddit posts and tell them to upvote, they can end up getting their accounts shadow banned.

My bad. I edited out the reddit link.

DatonKallandor posted:

There's clearly a bug or hack that messes with damage going around too. I can't count the amount of times I see 120 damage assault rifle/smg shots hitting me in the legs or back for an instakill.

Edit: Actually is Ubisoft running any anti-cheat software? It's not Steamworks, so no VAC and I don't recall seeing any Punkbuster or whatever running.

Glaz's DMR will do 120 damage to light armor dudes; it's one of the reasons Rook can be so good. I've never once encountered an assault rifle/SMG doing the same, but with the tickrate as it is, it's possible to be shot 3-4 times and your client might not even render you being shot at all. But if you're playing casual, the recap and the death cam will still reflect the actual amount of shots you were hit with.

UPlay is the anti-cheat.

Dead Like Rev posted:

"THIS IS A MERCY KILLING.......... HI MY NAMES JEFF"

I will forever cherish that moment.

Also, I had no idea he was saying "HI MY NAMES JEFF" and to me he sounded like a wounded animal.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 28, 2015

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I just had the best match I've played so far, 9 kills, total shutout of the opfor...

But I didn't get any renown. What the hell?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Happens in casual. Sometimes if one person leaves, even if they get replaced, you don't get renown at the end. Sometimes you can restart the game and still receive that renown.

Either way, it doesn't occur in ranked at all.

Schnugaf
Mar 23, 2011

The Great Derposaurus

I'll just assume it's a mixture of them being a form of QRF (Quick Reaction Force) and that BDU isn't always the best gear for everyone. It may also be that they keep possession of the essential gear and weapons themselves and meet at given rendezvous points to decrease response time.
I've also seen that SAS soldiers outside of Britain often wear jeans and stuff as part of their gear.

The times I assigned myself as reserve QRF in the Air Force, it wasn't unheard of just throwing on the Vest, weapon and equipment, whenever the QRF needed help, as time didn't always permit a change of clothes when I was called up. In fact, it happened all the time. Then again, only my squad did that, and only because I specifically said that I wouldn't give anyone unnecessary poo poo for ditching the BDU in favor of time. I can't say much about the layout of where I was stationed, but it was basically just a huge set of tunnels with a lot of rooms and halls inside of a mountain, so we were consistently practicing CQC. It was actually quite often that we were called up, because there was an area that took approximately 24 minutes to reach and another that took 13 minutes, and whenever an alarm went off in one of those areas, the reserve QRF was sent there instead of the QRF.

And I can say from experience that getting from A to B in sneakers and jeans was quicker, gave more mobility. and made a lot less noise, not to mention that I was less exhausted at arrival. The downside is the loss of protection as the BDU is somewhat flame retardant and it's easier to treat a person wearing it, and the boots will keep your feet better protected.

Sidenote;
- It's a bitch to treat a person wearing slim fit jeans if you're not carrying a pair of scissors.
- Nothing dramatic ever happened at the station apart from drills, stupidity and a broken alarm system.

Schnugaf fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 28, 2015

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
was this the game with good dlc rather than community splitting ones?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wooper posted:

was this the game with good dlc rather than community splitting ones?

Yes, all the new content is free except for new operators, which are earned in game or bought with real money

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Played for a long while with a full team of friends last night and we TORE. IT. UP. Actually stacking defensive things like Castle's doors and Mute's jammers and setting up a smart defense can totally shut out a loosely coordinated team, to say nothing of the usual lone wolf pubbies. At some point we started rolling as a single phalanx with all shields, which was a fun way to gently caress around. I can only imagine what the other team was thinking when the wall blows in and a massive pack of shields just shrug off a withering fusillade and give them the hug of death.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Man, I would buy the poo poo out of this game if the matchmaking servers weren't absolute piss. Not going to sink $50 on this crap without a guarantee that the servers will even work 75% of the time like in this open beta.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

A bunch of us have been playing in Mumble the past couple hours, if anybody wants to join in just hop into Mumble.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
really enjoying the game with friends/goons, assuming the server issues get ironed out I'll definitely be playing this until the community dissipates or whatever

my only complains so far are:

- Servers, obviously. They are hit or miss most of the time but they feel like they've been getting better.
- Tick rate. The hitboxes seem super slow, 1/5th of the kill cams seem to have a killing shot that isn't actually on the target which can feel frustrating when it happens to you, or lackluster when you get a kill by it.

I'm looking forward to the release!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Played this with 1 friend for a few hours on PS4 and had a really poor experience. So much teamkilling and people not knowing what the gently caress was up. Seems like a title where you always need 5 people to enjoy it, which makes it a pass for me.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
The game is perfectly set up to become the next Payday 2 in terms of community, for sure.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

markgreyam posted:

The game is perfectly set up to become the next Payday 2 in terms of community, for sure.

Missed a jump with your roller camera at the start of a map, instant votekick

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Are the servers supposed to be down right now?

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

a cop posted:

Are the servers supposed to be down right now?

We're playing, they arent down

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Taken 5 minutes ago. Been like this all day for me and a friend (who have different service providers) on PS4.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Might just be the PS4 servers then

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I've found that having EVERYBODY on your squad restart the game when things start loving up will clear up any problems with matchmaking. If you have a problem connecting to servers just log out of your profile and back in.

This is on xbone though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
1 win out of 20 attempts on T.Hunt Hard in House. 3 man team, last point in the kitchen full of c4, we breach from above, drop in, clear the room and get taken out at the very last push. Shield guy with us has 3 health remaining with 5 seconds on the defuse left..somehow we squeek it in. Holy poo poo.

If you really don't stick together whoever goes off on their own usually dies fairly fast. If they don't learn from it then you really won't have a fighting chance.

Best thing to do in t hunt on harder modes is to let 2-3 folks go drone hunting while you cover them so you find the points right away. Checking room to room is a pretty dumb strategy.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

a cop posted:

Taken 5 minutes ago. Been like this all day for me and a friend (who have different service providers) on PS4.

This was my roommate and I all night trying to play together, but it was just for ranked. We thought it was because we're using the same internet and Ubisoft was being a dick.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
someone tell me why this game is great

also someone tell me why nobody will play it in a week

i want to get the full range of experiences here

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Anita Dickinme posted:

This was my roommate and I all night trying to play together, but it was just for ranked. We thought it was because we're using the same internet and Ubisoft was being a dick.

It happens to us the second we try to log in and select 'play online' or whatever.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Eonwe posted:

someone tell me why this game is great
when it works and you have a good team it's fun

Eonwe posted:

also someone tell me why nobody will play it in a week
a lot of janky poo poo in it and nobody bothers to learn how to play their class.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bubba Smith posted:

when it works and you have a good team it's fun

a lot of janky poo poo in it and nobody bothers to learn how to play their class.

perfect, I think I get a copy with my 980 TI so I don't even need to install it

unless there is some miracle launch patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It's really unique and cool and it sort of fills a niche that hasn't been filled in many years while also being fairly easy to pick up.

I think people will be playing it in a week but if they don't fix the matchmaking and to a lesser extent tickrate issues then people might not be playing in a month or two. If they get that stuff sorted out soon it could be a pretty big hit.

• Locked thread