Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

AccountingNightmare posted:

There's a code to unlock all difficulties (and costumes and gallery pictures etc). At the title screen, Hold R1 + R2 + L1 + L2 + D-pad Up/Left + Left Analog-stick Down/Right (stolen from GameFaqs). Also pick "Yellow" instead of "Gold" after selecting New Game and you'll get the original continue system instead of the new one. Then afaik the experience will be the same as the original aside from having the extra Jester fights.

I haven't played the HD version of this yet but I'm assuming those things are still in the game.

Thanks! Looks like I'll be buying the HD version after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Has anyone tried Killer is Dead? I just bought it super cheap on GMG and am really enjoying it. It's honestly about as complex at MGR:R and I'm having fun, at least enough to attempt a 2nd play through. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

The Gigolo missions are indefensibly creepy but they give you useful sub weapons for doing them so you have to do them, luckily the PC version makes them way easier so you don't have to waste too long feeling awkward sneaking peaks at panties for your Ice Beam or Charge Cannon upgrades.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Bust Rodd posted:

Has anyone tried Killer is Dead? I just bought it super cheap on GMG and am really enjoying it. It's honestly about as complex at MGR:R and I'm having fun, at least enough to attempt a 2nd play through. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

The Gigolo missions are indefensibly creepy but they give you useful sub weapons for doing them so you have to do them, luckily the PC version makes them way easier so you don't have to waste too long feeling awkward sneaking peaks at panties for your Ice Beam or Charge Cannon upgrades.

I have and I enjoyed the combat. Everything that wasn't combat felt like it was detracting from the overall experience. The combat is relatively simple and it stays fresh by being stylish (at least for me). I think my biggest complaint is the wierd "introspective" levels that are really dialogue heavy and the only enemy to fight is one of the more annoying foes in game because they have special mess-with-the-camera-attacks. The boss fights also improved the deeper into the game you got.

Don Dante de la Vega

de

Diablo tal vez llore

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
DMC2 is cool ya'll infinite rolls are my way of transportation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

same but real life

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

uncleKitchener posted:

DMC2 is cool ya'll infinite rolls are my way of transportation.

my method of transportation is psycho crushers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh2-XZh0JAE&t=37s

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npd6N1BX2nk
dmc cast reunion
more dmc5 rumors being brought up by the cast??

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fereydun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npd6N1BX2nk
dmc cast reunion
more dmc5 rumors being brought up by the cast??

ffffffffffffffffffffff make it so capcom :flashfap:

then somehow add in online co-op

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

just posting this as a backup thing
http://www.bilibili.com/video/av3040190/
for a copy of donguri's full bloody palace playthrough that's accessible by folks in the US since youtube is poo poo
(at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFo2Xu-DZkY)

watch if you want to be sad that dmc5 probably won't have guard flying

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Was there something in DmC where dantss attack animation changes slightly the better you get in the game? I thought i remembered something like that but cant remember if it was here or not.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

DMC1 is my fave game in the series and this is the hill I will die on.

I don't really find the slowness to be an issue since the game is just meant to feel really deliberate, it's almost like some sort of action puzzle game or something. Nearly everything has an obvious tell and there's always a way to counter it in one way or another.

That loving Sned posted:

I loved DMC1's weightier combat and enemy designs, and all it needed was a mission select so you wouldn't need to keep loads of save files, as well as a bloody palace.

You did tend to fight the same bosses up to three times, and the gimmick sections like first person underwater combat and Star Fox-style final boss form weren't necessary.
DMC4 combines the best from both 1 and 3 for me, with Nero and the enemies feeling like modernised versions of the first game, with Dante being himself from 3, but without the need to grind his styles or choose which loadout to bring with you.

The only good bit about the underwater sections is that they're like...three minutes long total, and it's like they knew how lovely they would possibly be so they made the Needlegun borderline overpowered. It's like a loving AK or something. And yeah, while Mundus 1 is sort of jarring, it's nowhere near as bad as the missile level from Bayonetta in terms of a genre change (until you're trying to S Rank it on DMD, and then it's just a complete loving horrible joke).

ImpAtom posted:

I like DMC1 a lot. I think it's a really different style of game though. It's a lot more akin to the Resident Evil styling. You've only got two weapons (technically four but Force Edge/Sparda effectively sit in your inventory for most of the game.) It's got weighter enemies more built around specific exploiting than freeform combo system and a lot more of the more complex combat mechanics haven't evolved yet.

I certainly think ti has the best enemy design in the series overall though.

The two weapon thing sort of works out in its favor since they're completely different and every skill (with the possibly exception of Round Trip) is useful in one way or another (even something as useless looking as Rolling Blaze is amazing). Also the File System just cements how good the enemy design in that game is.

DMC1 is just weird though because it's the polar opposite of DMC3. In 3 Dante is given a ton of options and quirks so you can just beat up enemies in exceptionally stylish ways, whereas in 1, the enemies are given a bunch of attacks and weird poo poo to do and you have to find the one weakness they have and exploit it (which the File system helps with).

Also Frosts are fine, there's ways to smash their faces in with little to no effort expended at all.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 30, 2015

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I'll defend Mundus 1 all day. It's weird as hell that the final boss contains a total genre shift, yeah, but it's a legit great boss fight with a lot of nuance to it. I only wish Kamiya's later action game genre shifts were as good (even if Viewtiful Joe's shmup level and some of W101's weirder segments are cool, they're no patch on Mundus 1).

Also, Round Trip is at least very useful on Mundus 2, if nothing else.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

Was there something in DmC where dantss attack animation changes slightly the better you get in the game? I thought i remembered something like that but cant remember if it was here or not.

in DmC when your style rating is higher, the game's speed boosts up to 15%-20% faster at S rank iirc
it still feels like slow trash though, which is why you gotta turbo mode it up

ABTMAD
always be turbo modin' and dante, even when you're not actually dante

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I'll defend Mundus 1 all day. It's weird as hell that the final boss contains a total genre shift, yeah, but it's a legit great boss fight with a lot of nuance to it. I only wish Kamiya's later action game genre shifts were as good (even if Viewtiful Joe's shmup level and some of W101's weirder segments are cool, they're no patch on Mundus 1).

Also, Round Trip is at least very useful on Mundus 2, if nothing else.

Yeah I forgot you can use it as filler on Mundus 2 because you essentially get given Meteor as well so you can crap out damage.

I mean the only real issue with Mundus 1 is that you can't hold down the button for rapid fire, which only really matters in DMD because his health gets increased by some ludicrous amount so then you either need a turbo controller or infinite stamina and patience (since if you take too much damage on Mundus 2 you've got to restart).

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The VA's are alluding to something in the works for this franchise. Before anyone gets too excited, they don't actually seem to know what Capcom's working on.

I'm expecting some E3 reveals.

This news is from November, it seems, but I'm excited.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm guessing another anime/OVA.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Baal posted:

DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5DMC5

I believe you mean DmC2, featuring all new improved Trish, Lady and Lu... cia? I think her name was Lucia.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

So this was an embedded tweet for like 6 seconds for me then I refreshed and now it' s an image. Did you edit it or am I going insane?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

What the gently caress that was am embedded tweet now it's an image

EDIT: I refuse to be gaslighted

https://twitter.com/tomqe/status/687098966815543297

Serenade fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 13, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
DMC vs DmC.

Ends with Dante and Dante vs Vergil and Vergil, with Nero, Lady, Trish, and supporting characters from DmC there for some reason.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So this was an embedded tweet for like 6 seconds for me then I refreshed and now it' s an image. Did you edit it or am I going insane?

it was the image with a link to the tweet that became an embedded tweet in my window and now i guess it's just an image
i didn't touch it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
New feature with the forums- it's a pinned post. Lowtax gettin that phat Twitter Lewt.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Man, DmC was such a waste of potential...

I agree with the OP that DmC is not a bad game and honestly, I loved a lot of the visuals. The club stage was super memorable with awesome presentation and a place where the dumb platforming wasn't totally out of place with literally everything else. The game was just sorely unfocused and it's pretty clear the system designers didn't know DMC like they needed to know DMC to actually make a DMC game. At its highest levels, the game is terribly shallow and without charm. This is especially damning coming from DMC4, which is tremendously deep and truly mastering its systems will tax even the most veteran of DMC players. There was such an amazing foundation of systems and lessons and victories and uniqueness to build on from DMC4 and they just wasted it all on the back of some really piss-poor design decisions that learned *nothing* from DMC3 or DMC4.

The sad thing is that under any other name, it'd be an action game that's worth your time, but for what is effectively DMC5, it's a drat shame.

Anyway, DMC3 and DMC4 are both great and if you haven't played through DMC4, it's like $20 on steam and worth every cent as the port is phenomenal. Buy that game. The DMC3 port is a little less graceful and you might do best to find it on a console.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think you all mean DMC6.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

poo poo, I'm still trying to muster the will to push on and finish DMD on all characters in 4SE. I've technically finished the campaign like 10 times now, and how much of a bummer 4's campaign is compared to 3's really shows.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Motherfucker

I'm getting back into DMC4:SE for my DMD run with all characters, and I finally managed to S-rank my white whale of a boss fight with everyone: Mission 6. I surprisingly got Nero in one run, considering I never beat that boss without popping items in vanilla DMC4 way back when; Lady was the toughest since she has no emergency DT and I got lucky with green orb drops, and Vergil took me the longest since it took 3 runs to put together my strategy of "maintain max Concentration, throw Force Edge to deflect swords at boss, spam Judgement Cuts" for the victory.

And then I stumble on this video, with Vergil just loving destroying this lovely "boss" fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV7hA-s6rZE&t=200s

This game rules, Vergil rules, give his son his moveset in the next game pls

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

haha holy poo poo that is insane
like geez that is clever to use the round trip as a method of holding the swords in place so you can deflect them a million times with DT lunar phase

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fereydun posted:

haha holy poo poo that is insane
like geez that is clever to use the round trip as a method of holding the swords in place so you can deflect them a million times with DT lunar phase

Nah man, it's Round Trip trapping the swords between it and the window so they just bounce back and forth for the duration. DT Lunar Phase was the cherry on top of the "gently caress your window" sundae

It's like the spinny top things catching a Blitz or whatever in the corner of that one room with the display cases and just murdering it

You were right, Round Trip is hilariously broken in all the right ways

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the leaks are real

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I believed

I believed and I was rewarded for my belief

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What a time to be alive

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
thank you mother, for my life

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

If I'm not going crazy and there is actually a chance of another proper DMC game coming out I will buy it SO HARD the instant it is available. Don't let me down Capcom.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I hope they have another Trish and Lady Mode in the game, or more reasonably the Special Edition of the game they release a few years later, because I can't go back to Nero after playing Lady.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Senerio posted:

I hope they have another Trish and Lady Mode in the game, or more reasonably the Special Edition of the game they release a few years later, because I can't go back to Nero after playing Lady.

just make dante's shotgun not rear end again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'd be fine keeping Dante's Shotgun as a pile of crap if Lady is also in the game with her actually good shotgun.

• Locked thread