Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
That's right, the ghost of Steve Forbes is haunting the American political psyche again! With the flat tax, you see, the IRS could be abolished, because taxation would be so simple, even your four year old could do it! What the hell, when the flat tax is implemented you should have your four year old do your taxes, they probably aren't working anyway, just disguise it as homework or something. He/she doesn't even have to be able to write either, so they can just spit out the number and you write the check, no documentation needed! Just trust your four year old to make the right calculation, they're probably pretty smart, because you support the flat tax.

Don't worry about the economic impact of losing the IRS though because H&R block is a house of cards anyway, the impact on the economy can only be a net benefit!

I dare you to find a more interesting political "hot topic" than the flat tax! Feel free to share your thoughts about what makes the flat tax the clear superior choice for the American voter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
I object to the flat tax:

It is unfair to the poor; eliminating the Earned Income Tax Credit [hurts] taxpayers at the lowest rungs of the ladder.
It is unfair to workers by taxing them for health insurance and other benefits.
Only the wealthy would reap a windfall, because a flat tax would allow them to cash in interest payments and capital gains without paying personal income taxes.
I don’t believe that a flat tax could raise enough revenue to keep the government operating.

-- Donald Trump

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
999 -Herman Cain

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Nein
Nein
Nein

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
dammit this thread was going strong until it had replies

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think a flat tax is a bad idea, but I also don't understand why we (the US and Canada both) use tax brackets instead of a perfectly simply continuously variable tax rate based on income. The current system is so open to misunderstanding with regards to the irrational fear of being bumped into the next tax bracket, and now that everyone has access to at least a calculator, I don't see much of a reason to use a bracketed system instead of a system where the tax paid on income is a smooth function of taxable income.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
the flat tax: at least it's not a head tax

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

I think a flat tax is a bad idea, but I also don't understand why we (the US and Canada both) use tax brackets instead of a perfectly simply continuously variable tax rate based on income. The current system is so open to misunderstanding with regards to the irrational fear of being bumped into the next tax bracket, and now that everyone has access to at least a calculator, I don't see much of a reason to use a bracketed system instead of a system where the tax paid on income is a smooth function of taxable income.

The bracket system accounts for the amount of income you need to live on. You should pay less tax on your 'first' $40k of the year than on each additional 40k of income

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
yes clearly a logarithmic tax system is going to be easier for the laymen to understand - an idiot

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RBC posted:

yes clearly a logarithmic tax system is going to be easier for the laymen to understand - an idiot

This illustrates it quite nicely

http://www.datapointed.net/2010/04/historical-us-income-tax-brackets/

Unsurprisingly you don't get this kind of information from newspapers, TV, or primary school.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Just have the Dept. of Defense collect taxes, as all the money would be is going to them anyways.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We should bring back the 0% rate for the first $10,000 of income

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McDowell posted:

The bracket system accounts for the amount of income you need to live on. You should pay less tax on your 'first' $40k of the year than on each additional 40k of income

McDowell posted:

We should bring back the 0% rate for the first $10,000 of income

Hence why I said "taxable income." There should be a basic personal exemption which would render the first $X not taxable.

RBC posted:

If you can't understand how a function works, which is like 9th or 10th grade math at most, I don't think there's any workable tax system which will make sense to you. We're not asking people to derive it themselves, we're asking them to hypothetically press a few different buttons on the calculator.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The complicated part of the Internal Revenue Code is not the part that outlines the rates, and this would be true pretty much no matter what rate structure you use :ssh:

Caros
May 14, 2008

PT6A posted:

Hence why I said "taxable income." There should be a basic personal exemption which would render the first $X not taxable.

If you can't understand how a function works, which is like 9th or 10th grade math at most, I don't think there's any workable tax system which will make sense to you. We're not asking people to derive it themselves, we're asking them to hypothetically press a few different buttons on the calculator.

Going to be honest, I was too emotionally hosed up in the latter years of highschool to remember a single thing about functions, but I can still easily figure out how to do basic multiplication and addition in our current system.

Most people don't use functions or log in their daily life and have completely forgotten that poo poo if they ever knew it at all. Just because something is easy for you I wouldn't assume it is for others.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
People should just tip the government instead. If they do a good job then people will tip more thus bringing more revenue to them. Bad politics will cease to exist!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Numero6 posted:

People should just tip the government instead. If they do a good job then people will tip more thus bringing more revenue to them. Bad politics will cease to exist!

ontario already does this http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/credit/oof/

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

PT6A posted:

translate this paragraph for us idiots

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Top City Homo posted:

translate this paragraph for us idiots

'Instead of helping people understand progressive income tax brackets we should make the system what they think it is'

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
government should be funded by in app purchases through the creation of fun casual games.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
there is literally no reason why the irs can't do our taxes for us other than that h&r block and the company that makes turbotax spend shitloads of money lobbying against it

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Edit: irrational is a modifier to fear.

carticket has issued a correction as of 06:07 on Sep 29, 2015

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

government should be funded by in app purchases through the creation of fun casual games.

Yeah but then I'd have to go fix my grandma's facebook so she stops getting everybody's notifications from Wedding Dronestrike Saga

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Lord of Pie posted:

Yeah but then I'd have to go fix my grandma's facebook so she stops getting everybody's notifications from Wedding Dronestrike Saga

invite your friends for a free hellfire missile strike!

Hormples
May 3, 2002

ARRGHH!!
MY BONES!!

EngineerSean posted:

999 -Herman Cain

We have a slogan, now all we need is a catchy TV-ad jingle to sell the public on the flat tax!

Maybe we can get the Pokemon theme guy since Ron Paul is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVjfa0Alz5o

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A flat tax is a classic way for people who are not as smart as they think they to out themselves, in my experience.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

katlington posted:

A flat tax is a classic way for people who are not as smart as they think they to out themselves, in my experience.

im the small-government conservative who uses occam's razor when i talk about the flat tax

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I prefer my taxes to be curvy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I prefer mine exponential

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
cut taxes on low incomes, raise them on high incomes, property and capital gains imo

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

The Saurus posted:

cut taxes on low incomes, raise them on high incomes, property and capital gains imo

you loving commie

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

EngineerSean posted:

999 -Herman Cain

Nine nine-inch pizzas for nine dollars.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

I object to the flat tax:

It is unfair to the poor; eliminating the Earned Income Tax Credit [hurts] taxpayers at the lowest rungs of the ladder.
It is unfair to workers by taxing them for health insurance and other benefits.
Only the wealthy would reap a windfall, because a flat tax would allow them to cash in interest payments and capital gains without paying personal income taxes.
I don’t believe that a flat tax could raise enough revenue to keep the government operating.

-- Donald Trump

this worked better before donald trump's tax plan turned out to be basically the same as jeb!'s

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

point of return posted:

this worked better before donald trump's tax plan turned out to be basically the same as jeb!'s

Bad, but not as absolutely catastrophic as a flat tax would be.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

VideoTapir posted:

does this deal actually exist and if so where can i get it?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
“The necessity for a government to tax in order to maintain both its independence and its solvency is true for state and local governments, but it is not true for a national government.” Beardsley Ruml, Chair Federal Reserve Bank of New York (1937-1947)

“There is never a risk of default for a sovereign nation that issues its own free-floating currency and where its debts are denominated in that currency.” Mike Norman, Chief Economist for John Thomas Financial

“Central banks can issue currency, a non-interest-bearing claim on the government, effectively without limit.” Alan Greenspan, Chair of the Federal Reserve (1987-2006)

“There is no inherent limit on federal expenses and therefore on federal spending…When the U.S. government decides to spend fiat money, it adds to its banking reserve system and when it taxes or borrows (issues Treasury securities) it drains reserves from its banking system. These reserve operations are done solely to maintain the target Federal Funds rate.” Monty Agarwal , managing partner and chief investment officer of MA Managed Futures Fund

“As the sole manufacturer of dollars, whose debt is denominated in dollars, the U.S. government can never become insolvent, i.e., unable to pay its bills. In this sense, the government is not dependent on credit markets to remain operational.” Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis

hth

nod federal taxes needed

spend all the money

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

VideoTapir posted:

I'd buy it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

What would the downsides be for racing capital gains at the same rate as normal income?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

The best tax code is the one that fits in 144 characters or less and can be understood by gibbons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

lampey posted:

What would the downsides be for racing capital gains at the same rate as normal income?

"discourages investment"

• Locked thread