Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think a flat tax is a bad idea, but I also don't understand why we (the US and Canada both) use tax brackets instead of a perfectly simply continuously variable tax rate based on income. The current system is so open to misunderstanding with regards to the irrational fear of being bumped into the next tax bracket, and now that everyone has access to at least a calculator, I don't see much of a reason to use a bracketed system instead of a system where the tax paid on income is a smooth function of taxable income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McDowell posted:

The bracket system accounts for the amount of income you need to live on. You should pay less tax on your 'first' $40k of the year than on each additional 40k of income

McDowell posted:

We should bring back the 0% rate for the first $10,000 of income

Hence why I said "taxable income." There should be a basic personal exemption which would render the first $X not taxable.

RBC posted:

yes clearly a logarithmic tax system is going to be easier for the laymen to understand - an idiot

If you can't understand how a function works, which is like 9th or 10th grade math at most, I don't think there's any workable tax system which will make sense to you. We're not asking people to derive it themselves, we're asking them to hypothetically press a few different buttons on the calculator.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Why are flat tax proponents fixated on first‐order polynomials? Why not second degree or zeroth degree? Why does it have to be a polynomial at all?

Seems pretty arbitrary.

I already made a similar point further up in the thread. Apparently, the answer is that people are retarded at math.

• Locked thread