Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Not enough budgie appreciation in this thread. They sound like tiny tape recorders :3:

This one curses out a pencil http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IMz-P5n57KA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

etalian posted:

cassowary is the most dinosaur bird

How could you post this without their calls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dcQO6Zb8Eg

Like they literally could've just dubbed these noises into the Jurassic Park Movies. They don't chirp, they bellow and rumble :stare:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I love parrots and think African Grays are the coolest, but I would never get one in a million years because they live for like 40 something years and they are extremely moody aggressive constantly making GBS threads 2-year olds for the entirety of that 40 years.

Also I've read that they become so attached to their owners, they self-mutilate or get depressed and die if you give them away or something happens to you. :(

I feel the same way. My family used to own a parrot and had to give it to my uncle, and the bird is still alive 30 years later. Later on I had a pet budgie that was so friendly and gentle she'd try to eat food out of your mouth, and despite being a female was able to say her own name. My dumbass mom opened the door while she was flying about on Christmas day and she flew away, RIP Baby :smith:

If I were to ever get a bird of my own, it would be another budgie. They continually make stream-of-consciousness style schizophrenic bird noises but their max noise level can be blocked out behind a shut door, they can be just as friendly as the big ones if hand-raised and blessed with a good temperament, they are apartment friendly both due to their size and their noise not being that bad, their bite can be nasty but can't lop your finger off like the bigger parrots, and their lifespan is short enough that you don't have to make reservations for the bird's care in your own will. They can also sort-of talk, although they won't pull some of the crazy cool poo poo the bigger parrots do it's still worth getting most of the cool parrot package minus the headache. This is also a personal anecdote, but they seem way more chill than Cockatiels.

Just don't get a lovely poorly-kept/raised and probably physically ill one from Petland.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Cockateil is best pet

I adore both species, but grew up with either one or the other in my house nearly all my life. I seriously had a better experience with the Petland Discount dirty crowded cage practically-a-rescue budgie than the hand-raised, professionally bred Cockatiel. Both were friendly birds, but the budgie was much quieter and easier to handle while both birds were equally friendly/retarded.

I guess it's just a testament to how different each individual bird's personality can be, no matter how big or small. That's another risk with parrot ownership, it's kind of a gigantic crapshoot what your bird will be like even if it was raised lovingly.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Opera Bitch posted:

Also, budgies know a lot of words and are one of the best talkers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYcWA_RNl1s

More proof that budgies are Best Birds :3: I think getting a good talker is fairly rare, and it has to be a male, but if you want a cool living tape recorder minus the toddler-with-a-weapon-on-his-face thing big parrots have going on, Budgies are a good choice.

Mine could say her own name and it was a female, though, so I don't think it HAS to be a male in order to talk. They're just better at it/more likely to pick it up.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

3D GAY WORLD posted:

le hatred of pigeons is a relatively recent thing, and is mostly based off of propaganda created by pest extermination companies that had gotten too good at killing roaches and rats, and needed something else to kill (hence the unfair "rats with wings" branding). Pigeons love to bathe, are generally clean and are only dirty when they're forced to live in filthy cities and forage in gutters by subway stations. Also, you're far more likely to catch a disease from a cat or dog than you are from a pigeon.

They actually probably got that reputation because in big cities they literally are 'rats with wings', spreading disease and grossness by literally coating places in their putrid bird poo poo. I'm not saying pigeons are bad, it's just kind of like feral cats vs. pet cats where the former may technically be the same animal but are a huge pest to humans/the environment. Hell, even pigeon's city-clogging pest cousins rats could be either a gigantic pest/disease carrier or a great pet depending on if it's wild or not.

Once a momma pigeon laid eggs on our terrace and I raised hell when my mother tried to get rid of the eggs. We let her raise her babies on our astroturf and she/her babies came back for a few years :3: Honestly don't know if I could own a domesticated one though, my city sense would just think "ew".

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Obscuritatem posted:

if you don't want to put up with making GBS threads and screaming please don't get a bird. they are super involved pets.

i've had a gc conure, fisher's lovebird and a teil and not had a clean floor, a quiet house or a meal without a bird sitting in it for many years.

Yeah with a few exceptions anything in the parrot family will be more work than a cat and objectively, more than a dog. Probably more expense too between initial purchase, supplies, and exotic vet bills.

Even the little guys like cockatiels can be bitey or screamy. They're a commitment.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

No loving way those are real.

What 80s kid's movie did you lift this screenshot from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Messing around with that thing would give me bird phobia :stare: It looks like an old horror movie with graphics that are so awkwardly bad they loop around to being creepy again.

• Locked thread