Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

the great deceiver posted:

i tried to teach my roomate's african grey to say allah ackbar but he was not interested in learning about my islamic faith because birds are dumb as poo poo

There was a mynah bird at the one guy's food stall near where I worked in Thailand that would say little bits of Buddhist scripture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7D-1RG-VRk

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Maldoror posted:

My favorite Alex story, which Pepperberg told on NPR's Fresh Air, went something like this: Alex was ill and had to be taken to the vet, and had to stay overnight. Alex was not happy about staying overnight in a strange place and as Pepperberg was leaving, Alex kept saying "Wanna go home, wanna go home." But Pepperberg obv couldn't take Alex home. Finally, as Pepperberg was near the door, Alex tried one last thing. Thinking that maybe Alex was being forced to stay as punishment for doing something wrong, Alex just said, "I'm sorry."

:( :gerty:

The first time Alex saw an apple he already knew the words for a banana and for a cherry but no one had taught him apple. He asked for the banerry.

raton fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 24, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So thread fans if you could choose would you rather have feathery wings on your back or a huge toenail on your face?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RaceBannon posted:

peacocks roam wild near you? thatd be the coolest pest species

People let some peacocks go free I think on the Berkley campus in the 60s and it turns out they can survive on their own in an environment like that so it became a thing people do at other colleges mostly on the west coast. I remember having to wait for a peacock to get out of the road in Portland once. Eventually a lab sees them and gets ahold of them and that's it though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RaceBannon posted:

i had no idea but arent almost all birds shrieking lunatics? except for the rare philosopher cockatoo or whatnot

Birds are pretty cool. You can teach them to not poo poo everywhere and not shriek all the time but it's not as easy as it is to teach a dog to do stuff.

Pets overall are not really worth it so when you buy a pet you're choosing what not worth it is the least worse to you.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cuckoo posted:

I feel the same way. My family used to own a parrot and had to give it to my uncle, and the bird is still alive 30 years later. Later on I had a pet budgie that was so friendly and gentle she'd try to eat food out of your mouth, and despite being a female was able to say her own name. My dumbass mom opened the door while she was flying about on Christmas day and she flew away, RIP Baby :smith:

If I were to ever get a bird of my own, it would be another budgie. They continually make stream-of-consciousness style schizophrenic bird noises but their max noise level can be blocked out behind a shut door, they can be just as friendly as the big ones if hand-raised and blessed with a good temperament, they are apartment friendly both due to their size and their noise not being that bad, their bite can be nasty but can't lop your finger off like the bigger parrots, and their lifespan is short enough that you don't have to make reservations for the bird's care in your own will. They can also sort-of talk, although they won't pull some of the crazy cool poo poo the bigger parrots do it's still worth getting most of the cool parrot package minus the headache. This is also a personal anecdote, but they seem way more chill than Cockatiels.

Just don't get a lovely poorly-kept/raised and probably physically ill one from Petland.

A cockateil is about 500% more chill than a parakeet. I'm glad you had a good parakeet but most of them are basically winged bugs as far as intelligence and personality go.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tendai posted:

cockatiels are the best parrot and anyone who says otherwise is a liar and probably a terrorist :derptiel:

Cockateil is best pet

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cuckoo posted:

I adore both species, but grew up with either one or the other in my house nearly all my life. I seriously had a better experience with the Petland Discount dirty crowded cage practically-a-rescue budgie than the hand-raised, professionally bred Cockatiel. Both were friendly birds, but the budgie was much quieter and easier to handle while both birds were equally friendly/retarded.

I guess it's just a testament to how different each individual bird's personality can be, no matter how big or small. That's another risk with parrot ownership, it's kind of a gigantic crapshoot what your bird will be like even if it was raised lovingly.

Cockateil is best pet

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tendai posted:

Smart enough to be entertaining, just dumb enough to be managed is how I always think of Judah. He'll be brilliant about something but then have zero sense of object permanence for things that he just saw being covered by paper, for example.

Parrots, man. They're not for everyone but they're fuckin' great.

They're smart enough to have a personality but dumb enough to never realize they're a pet.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nah man I had a cockateil that was chill as gently caress and as goodly as a saint. Also funny to hold like an ice cream cone.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

Don't let them confuse you.

I've had 'tiels too and they were fun, easy pets. But never be fooled. They are not civic minded creatures.

Another one I had got scared by the movement of its own shadow and jumped into a nearby wall and stunned itself

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

cover the cage with a blanket hth

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Stupid Baby posted:

This thread makes me want to get a cockatoo or a crow but I doubt it would get along with my dog.

Bird q: Why do birds do such spastic jerky movements when not doing anything? When they're hopping around they move at normal speed but when they're just looking around they jerk so fast you can barely see them move.

Their eyes are on the side of their head so to fix distances they have to move their heads around. They do it quickly so the things they're thinking about haven't moved much in between images so they can get a better idea of how close or how far something is. They keep doing it to stay updated. A content or focused or moving birdie doesn't do that any more for the obvious reasons.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Stupid Baby posted:

This thread makes me want to get a cockatoo or a crow but I doubt it would get along with my dog.

Bird q: Why do birds do such spastic jerky movements when not doing anything? When they're hopping around they move at normal speed but when they're just looking around they jerk so fast you can barely see them move.

Best starter bird is cockateil because it is a good bird but doesn't live forever and doesn't require a day care center to not be depressed. It might not get along with your dog though. Also it might decide it loves your dog and wants to be with it forever.

Get two birds at once wherever possible IMO because it gives them something to do when you aren't interested in giving them something to do, even if it's squabble it's still something to keep them occupied.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

The thousand flowered chickens of d'uccle?

They're spotty

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

are cockateils or budgies easier

Budgies but they're basically bugs or fish

Most of them anyway.

A cockateil is a cool animal with a personality. Try to pick the one that is looking around at things and thinking about stuff instead of the one with the best feathers.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 6, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had a cockatiel that loved looking under the couches and through the cracks on the deck. She was really meticulous about it when it was time to do that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Cockateils will dutifully sing you pretty songs* if they are male and appreciatively listen to you whistle if they are female.

*By cockatiel standards

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I like birds a lot but a cockatoo seems like some kind of house demon to me and if they could reproduce in the wild here we'd surely be paying someone to exterminate them in droves. They're never like sweet or chilling out, they're always on a meth fueled tearassin ramapage

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

My mom's conure does that a lot. He loves crawling into tight spaces like the sleeve of my shirt or the couch cushions.

This bird was the smartest cockateil we had and she would very carefully check under each couch once or check each crack in the deck once and then be satisfied that her task was finished and go back to dozing or eating grass or looking for dad. She would never go under the couch unless she was running from an RC helicopter or something like that.

We owned her contemporaneously with the dumbest cockateil we had, who was roughly twice the size of the smart one but always sitting in the second best spot in the cage or eating the new food second or whatever because the smart one had superior battle tactics like climbing up the side of the cage to gain height before attacking.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zeno-25 posted:

Wow that bird is really good

Cockateils are usually not that good at singing and they like to remix the songs you teach them a lot but they have a good heart.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zeno-25 posted:

Is there a certain sort of parrot that's good at music? I know nothing about birds but they seem like they'd be cool if they didn't poo poo everywhere

I don't know which birds are good at music. Mynah birds are really good at talking but I'm not sure if they're good at music. Should ask PI I guess

Also if you want a singing bird you have to get a male one. With cockatiels (and some other birds) you can't (as an amateur) tell which one is a male or female until they lay an egg, so make sure you get a sexed bird.

The last two cockatiels we had both had male names but once they hit bird puberty everyone knew they were female due to their behavior. Females like to listen to songs and especially you whistling, they will stop most of whatever they're busy with to give a listen.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 10, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TMJKBS-R6U&t=135s

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

Their coloring makes it look like someone took some markers to them I guess they're tropical?

why's every tropic/jungle bird super bright? does it help that much with camo or do they have enough trees to hide in?

I saw an experiment one time where they took some little round brown chirpy birds and glued feathers on top of their heads. Like, one feather, about as tall as the head was, sticking straight up, with a dot of glue. The birds with no added feather got to gently caress the smallest number of female birds. The ones with the brown feather got a few more. The ones with the white feather got like six times the cloaca of the featherless birds. The other colors were in the middle.

Birds like fancy feathers and different birds like different colors. It turns out that you do so much more loving if you're a pretty bird than you risk getting eaten (since birds can fly they're not bad at not getting eaten if they pay attention) that it's better to be pretty. Of course in some of these birds the females are dung brown and the guys are bright as gently caress. In others the females are bright too -- often these birds mate for life so attracting a good guy is a bigger deal to them than birds that just change 'em out every year.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

Yeah tru they mostly like doing bugfuck scat remixes. The one that fully sang the totoro theme earlier in the thread without busting into a 'tiel jazz riff was pretty amazing.

BTW my folks' female 'tiel hates it when the male sings with any human. I cant tell if she considers it cheating or hubris or what, but once he starts going theres a 50% chance she'll attack. If he gets really prideful and spreads his wings/puffs up the chance goes to something like 80%.

I think it's kind of cool that they break a song up in their head and try to make it sound better, which you can tell is what they're doing when you're watching them go at it, unfortunately cockateils are just not the best song writers.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
For now

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Awfully seductive move for a cockatiel there

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

That's how my cockateils would act if I happened to be holding an orange or a grapefruit

Pink or orange orbs are the most frightening things on earth

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I.C. posted:

Metalick bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzKhqt5IRnM

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Whatev posted:

The loudness does depend upon the species. My sis recently got a green cheeked conure and it is quiet as gently caress, which is apparently characteristic of those particular gaybirds.

These two are being exceptionally loud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4JDrKV1t9Y

I don't know who told birds they could wrestle, not having arms and all that, but it sure doesn't stop some of them from trying.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ep_-_BRMbQ

really starts huckin about 1:20

raton fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 14, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I would do to my cockatiels sometimes was to take a cherry where there are two cherries with the top of their stems attached like in pac man and hang it on their neck because it makes them look like they have cherry tits and they freak out a little and start running all over hell to try to get away from the evil cherries. It's not that nice but kind of a hoot.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Manslaughter posted:

Wouldn't having a pet bird and then just letting it be out of a cage mean it just shits wherever it is when it needs to take a poo poo? Wouldn't you have bird poo poo on your tables and floors?
disclaimer: I've never owned a bird as a pet

In addition to what Tendai said a lot of people don't bother training their smaller birds to only poo poo on a paper towel or whatever because small bird poops don't stink up a house or cause infestations like dog poo poo would. It's still gross and probably the biggest down side to having birds but they usually fire out a single almost dry pellet that you can pick up with a tissue and nothing gets left behind. Also many birds are kind of picky where they poo poo -- they usually at least back up and drop one over the edge.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Angela Christine posted:

If you want to replicate the 'bird yells into cup' experience for yourself, remember that you are bigger than a bird and will need a much bigger cup. Yelling into a bottle cap is not at all satisfying.

Video pls

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The sad thing about this is that bonobos are only free-love hippies who gently caress everyone as a way of saying "hi" in areas with abundant resources and few natural predators. In areas where they have to compete for resources more they are absolute dickheads like all great apes (and like chimpanzees especially) :( Primates are fukt.

Birds meanwhile are always lovely and friendly and kind and giving. It is just that *screaming* and biting your ears off are actually signs of affection among birds.

Also feelin comfortable and summoning a dust storm out of your body coverings with your face toenail while riding on a giants shoulder.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eEe1DdNyio&t=90s

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I found someone's abandoned domesticated pigeon about two years back, sitting/making GBS threads on my studio's entryway. But she had broken bones, calcified poop on every toe, and was generally in bad shape and though I tried calling a couple bird rescues, nobody would take in this pigeon.
I made a thread on PI back in the day to ask for help, but in the end I couldn't help her and took her to the animal shelter to be put down.

Sorry filthy hobo pigeon, I tried. :(

Gg

I hope the alien civilization that discovers us goes through these same motions before euthanizing humanity.

• Locked thread