Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arvin
Sep 29, 2012
World is too large so one almost never bumps into other people randomly, unless one settles in the starting zone, which no-one does, it's hard for new players to start playing due to lack of stones in the starting zone. That aside, it's much better than legacy haven, and a bit slower as well, which is a welcome change for those who want to do things other than playing H&H. Hoping they'll make World 9 much smaller than this world, but yeah, for those who haven't tried H&H since legacy, I recommend giving it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Just saw this today and trying it out now! Had a lot of fun with goons in Haven and Hearth for a few months before we were stomped by hacking Russians.

How do I link up with the current goon group?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hey all, I played salem a bit with a group I liked, adn way back i played haven and hearth with a really cool Italian and his sister. but real life got in the way of the salem shenanigants and I'm sorry to everyone I bailed on. It seemed yall were cool, and i imagine got along fine with me, but if you. Any small groups of goons wanna join up tonight? I hav voice chat, skype, plat, and just hit me up. I'll definitely need a guide but I love these games.

I am Kisra Keris staring at the fire. I'll remake if i proceed beyond this point and i need to not do so, but if any goons are willing to jion me as a 2 man team, or a 1-4 man team, i'm not into large groups, but a small group of chill goons doing things we can grow later sounds fun. I'm not aware of the games problems, i just want to try and enjoy it so feel free to add me.

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006

hemophilia posted:

Hey all, I played salem a bit with a group I liked, adn way back i played haven and hearth with a really cool Italian and his sister. but real life got in the way of the salem shenanigants and I'm sorry to everyone I bailed on. It seemed yall were cool, and i imagine got along fine with me, but if you. Any small groups of goons wanna join up tonight? I hav voice chat, skype, plat, and just hit me up. I'll definitely need a guide but I love these games.

I am Kisra Keris staring at the fire. I'll remake if i proceed beyond this point and i need to not do so, but if any goons are willing to jion me as a 2 man team, or a 1-4 man team, i'm not into large groups, but a small group of chill goons doing things we can grow later sounds fun. I'm not aware of the games problems, i just want to try and enjoy it so feel free to add me.

oh you poor thing.
you can't just join up with people starting out, they got rid of hearth secrets and players can't spawn next to each other. you'd have to form a village and make a charterstone (pretty significant investment of time and materials) before you could enable any new players to spawn with you.

this game is circling the drain as it is, anyways

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

SweetBro posted:

Taking bets on how long before this gets abandoned. Say 2 years?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
flip it to permanent free to play and there might be a few more months of life to give.

or just pull the plug because

Freakazoid_ posted:

this game should have stayed dead

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Does it have randian supermen who can permakill all your dudes and you have no possible way to win?

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
The new iteration of this game is leaps and bounds better. A lot of the game breaking poo poo seems to have been fixed.

So far, I haven't seen or heard of anyone botting. Its a good bet that botting is still a thing. Most games have them but there's no unstoppable character(s) running around smashing everything in sight.

The game definitely requires the use of a mouse/keyboard combo. I'm temporarily stuck with a laptop and its touchpad, I can't use a mouse at the moment either. It's a bitch with a touchpad.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
H&H/Salem veteran here, not that I ever really lived the full-on village lifestyle. Just started looking at Haven again and glancing through some of the changes they've made, it seems like skills are hard-capped at 300 (free accounts), 310 if you're a verified account ($15), or 330 (subscription). No more weekly time limits. Seems like that levels the playing field a lot for newbies, since there's no risk of unstoppable juggernauts that can bash your palisades down with their bare hands, along with a bunch of other quality of life improvements. Custom clients available with minor botting tools out of the box so you can cut out even more of the tedium.

Overall it's looking like a much more friendly game to jump into, so I thought I'd ask if goons were still active? I noticed the OP still mentioned the weekly recharge thing so it obviously hasn't been updated in a while.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The Slack still sees daily activity, so I guess there are.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

isndl posted:

H&H/Salem veteran here, not that I ever really lived the full-on village lifestyle. Just started looking at Haven again and glancing through some of the changes they've made, it seems like skills are hard-capped at 300 (free accounts), 310 if you're a verified account ($15), or 330 (subscription). No more weekly time limits. Seems like that levels the playing field a lot for newbies, since there's no risk of unstoppable juggernauts that can bash your palisades down with their bare hands, along with a bunch of other quality of life improvements. Custom clients available with minor botting tools out of the box so you can cut out even more of the tedium.

Overall it's looking like a much more friendly game to jump into, so I thought I'd ask if goons were still active? I noticed the OP still mentioned the weekly recharge thing so it obviously hasn't been updated in a while.

Yeah, sorry. I had some irl issues to deal with, and had to stop playing last world and let the thread die. I'll try and update it after work. There are still a handfull of goons playing. We've got a few select non-goons playing alongside, and what is getting to be a pretty large community in our region...mostly new players and refugees.

Yeah, villages are safer without being impenetrable through the skill/stat cap and the new siege/shield system. Subs are $7-10/month depending on exchange, and not totally necessary but the boost does help.

Tons of new stuff since I wrote the op. Ugh.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

rip ded gaym

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
Still a small group of us logging in everyday. Usually, there's at least one person (goon) on during each of the time zones. Additionally, there's a couple non-goon villagers online often.

One of our villagers did some serious poopsocking and created the best (that we know of) Hammer and Anvil in the game. Then he decided to equip the rest of the world with sets almost as good as ours. I guess selling HQ tools and armor was too lucrative. **good game**

It's been a rather quiet Month, in game. Little action with lots of carebearing. Anyone wanting to join, especially to poo poo-up the place, is welcome. We're happy to help support anyone that wants to build up PvP characters.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've played in a village a couple times with various groups of friends a few years ago. Got back into it 4 days ago playing the hermit.

I just don't understand the design philosophy of this game. The UI is poo poo. The combat is poo poo. Managing curiosities is poo poo. Everything is just annoying and unfun but the game is appealing because you're in a vast world with difficult to get resources playing with other players with permadeath and always-on PvP.

Why the gently caress is the game unintuitive and annoying to play when it encourages the only reason to advance is to get better at killing each other so you can force each other to go back to scratch? Don't the developers wonder why people aren't retained?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I used to bitch at devs about UI all the time, they hate working on it so much and put it off for so long that everyone uses third party clients

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'd like this game a lot more if world resets weren't so erratic.

I think they might benefit from a scheduled world reset. One to three scheduled world resets every year would be good I think.

I got killed for stealing from some noobs who were friends with a stat-capped poop socker and I don't want to start a new character. I don't want to get a new character fully equipped in metal gear and spend time making a nice little hermitage fort just for it to be erased as soon as I'm done.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

If you die in this game your interest in it dies irl

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
And that's why anyone familiar with the game mechanics uses an alt to do anything that would leave scents. :shrug:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The game is fundamentally broken but I'm enjoying it as if it's a Harvest Moon.

Hermit life.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 14, 2016

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Remb posted:

If you die in this game your interest in it dies irl

You have no idea how much I wish that were true.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Wait are goons in here again playing this thing?

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Looks like the devs lifted the stat caps, removing the one redeeming feature of 2.0 because "nobody was PvPing anyways".

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Potjeh Was Right

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm still playing this game.

They just introduced "Realms". I don't read the patchnotes, so I was introduced to them by some player covering a vast area around where I hermit.

Where is the goons village on the World Map? I've been thinking about moving my hermit house into the newly released map towards the south.

Hermit Life 2

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

So who do I bug to play with group?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If the Goon Group is still around, play with them. If you want to join someone who hasn't sourced their own metal yet and is currently surveying a good home location in the deep south newly released content, I could go for having some partners.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Found scents all over my hermit neighbors homesteads. Tracked the thief to a boat in the middle of a lake, AFK.

I don't have murder so I knocked him out, stole/dropped everything, and placed him in a swamp... but now the server says it's restarting before his leech-based permadeath. Hope I don't miss out. :(

edit: Server is back up and there he is faceplanted still. Woo. Now just to wait for the leeches to do their job.

editedit:

That's a lot of HHP. Keep having to "steal" the leeches off him so he can get fresh ones.

editeditedit: He's definitely dead. Probably had been dead from the first knockout.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 31, 2016

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Met posted:

If the Goon Group is still around, play with them. If you want to join someone who hasn't sourced their own metal yet and is currently surveying a good home location in the deep south newly released content, I could go for having some partners.

I would definitely be interested, I am currently still trying to get the hang of the game. So far, I have died twice: once from dying from raiding an ant nest (forgot my HP were quite low from all those beaver attavks) and once from swimming across a river and drown..

I have been trying to do the quests that they gave you, but it doesn't look like they give any rewards at all. So what is the point of the quest other than telling you to walk around the map and talk to trees.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Experience that can be used for Hearth Magic and Studying Curiosities.

I actually think I'm done with H&H. I wasted all of August on it. I killed a high level Russian who was carrying high level poo poo. I feel pretty accomplished.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 31, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

That's more than most can say.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
I'm addicted to this game for some reason. I love it and hate it at the same time. Currently, it is the only game I play.

There's still a couple of us poking around. We have a couple Goons and a few non-Goons in our village. We killed the Chieftain of a nearby village and took on a couple players from that village very recently. Most of what we have been doing for the past couple of months is stat building and item quality pushing. Pretty much a quality grinding spiral. Our own version of Sim Village.

I don't recommend anyone start playing but if you do, we have a lot of living space to make use of. As mentioned earlier, all stat caps have been removed. There is code in place to prevent anyone from hand-bashing walls and villages. I "think" there's a combat mechanic in place that limits a higher stat character from being no more effective than about 16% above his/her opponent. So, there's always hope that you can kill a player character that might have god-like stats. It happens too. We've seen players "kiting" their opponents only too get stuck on a tree or rock for a second and end up getting their poo poo pushed in by one or two players with characters that are only a fraction of his/her stats .

The introduction of Realms is a very cool addition. For anyone familiar with the game, it's a little like Village Authority but on a much larger scale and with a few more abilities. A Village can cast their Realm authority over extremely large swaths of the world, if they choose to do so. Others can push into yours and challenge you for control. As your Realm gains authority, it can buff certain player stats for anyone within it. We know of a Realm that buffs players so much that it normally takes a few weeks to reach without the buff.

Knarrs are a thing. Very large boats that are hard to build and have stats based off of quality. They can hold a solo player or a raiding party. They have huge cargo ability too. We've had hunters return with 50+ animal kills and we had hunters murdered and the Knarr stolen. We think that we currently have the best or second best Knarr in the game. We have the ability to do better and to produce several of them.

The Devs continue to improve the game. They just went live with floating point coordinates. They still need to work on combat more. Item characteristics and stats are now greatly influenced by the various material options that are available to craft with. Like, Butter Scones. You can use Wheat Flour or Barley Flour and you can use Cows Milk or Sheeps Milk. Everything changes the stats of an item, sometimes greatly. Every type of tree and bush in the game has its own unique type of wood board and wood block. It will change the look of an item that you build.

The Devs do a decent job at nuking anyone and any village that is using bots (on a large scale) or abusing bugs. * Devs don't seem to care if a person uses a bot to help with farming or fishing or teraforming.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Are you saying we should play it when you say you don't recommend anyone play this game? I feel like that is the ultimate form of hype.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I remember playing HnH as a hermit and loving up bears on my tiny canoe. Then Salem came out and we did pretty nicely until some superman came and hosed us all up.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

SinJin posted:

I'm addicted to this game for some reason. I love it and hate it at the same time. Currently, it is the only game I play.

There's still a couple of us poking around. We have a couple Goons and a few non-Goons in our village. We killed the Chieftain of a nearby village and took on a couple players from that village very recently. Most of what we have been doing for the past couple of months is stat building and item quality pushing. Pretty much a quality grinding spiral. Our own version of Sim Village.

I don't recommend anyone start playing but if you do, we have a lot of living space to make use of. As mentioned earlier, all stat caps have been removed. There is code in place to prevent anyone from hand-bashing walls and villages. I "think" there's a combat mechanic in place that limits a higher stat character from being no more effective than about 16% above his/her opponent. So, there's always hope that you can kill a player character that might have god-like stats. It happens too. We've seen players "kiting" their opponents only too get stuck on a tree or rock for a second and end up getting their poo poo pushed in by one or two players with characters that are only a fraction of his/her stats .

The introduction of Realms is a very cool addition. For anyone familiar with the game, it's a little like Village Authority but on a much larger scale and with a few more abilities. A Village can cast their Realm authority over extremely large swaths of the world, if they choose to do so. Others can push into yours and challenge you for control. As your Realm gains authority, it can buff certain player stats for anyone within it. We know of a Realm that buffs players so much that it normally takes a few weeks to reach without the buff.

Knarrs are a thing. Very large boats that are hard to build and have stats based off of quality. They can hold a solo player or a raiding party. They have huge cargo ability too. We've had hunters return with 50+ animal kills and we had hunters murdered and the Knarr stolen. We think that we currently have the best or second best Knarr in the game. We have the ability to do better and to produce several of them.

The Devs continue to improve the game. They just went live with floating point coordinates. They still need to work on combat more. Item characteristics and stats are now greatly influenced by the various material options that are available to craft with. Like, Butter Scones. You can use Wheat Flour or Barley Flour and you can use Cows Milk or Sheeps Milk. Everything changes the stats of an item, sometimes greatly. Every type of tree and bush in the game has its own unique type of wood board and wood block. It will change the look of an item that you build.

The Devs do a decent job at nuking anyone and any village that is using bots (on a large scale) or abusing bugs. * Devs don't seem to care if a person uses a bot to help with farming or fishing or teraforming.

Who do we bug if we want to join?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

For those who want to play an almost identical but less dead game, Salem is going to be starting a new expedition (server that eventually ends because witches brought about the apocalypse [which we will obviously be trying to do]) soonish? Once they get a firm date (I'd guess a month or so from now), I'm going to throw up a new thread and try to wrangle some goons together for more pubbie tear harvesting fun.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
Okay guys/gals/Goons!

This batshit chaos that has been called "World 9" is about to come to an end !

The two Devs, Jorb and Loftar have decided that a new World will come to age on Saturday January 7th.

I assume, the current pile of poo poo World will go on up till the Devs shut the server down and restart it for new word generation.

The game is free to play. You can later upgrade to a "Verified" account to gain a small boost in Inventory space, learning speed increase, and you will be able to do a few basic and time-consuming tasks a little faster, not more efficient, just a little faster. You can even purchase a "Subscription" for your account(s) and those bonuses will STACK onto "Verified" bonuses. The bonuses are definitely noticeable and very helpful during the start of a new World.

Looking for the details ? All of that and more can be read on their forum, under their "Announcements" section. http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/

For those of you that have played World 9, there is no word yet on any sort of "Armageddon" suicide missions. Feel free to grace us with your presence and create some.

Hopefully, one of the more intelligent Goons will start a new Thread sometime in the next few days. With luck, there will be enough of us next World to poo poo on someone's perfect utopia. ( Please don't tell Sabinati I said that last part!)

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

SweetBro posted:

For those who want to play an almost identical but less dead game, Salem is going to be starting a new expedition (server that eventually ends because witches brought about the apocalypse [which we will obviously be trying to do]) soonish? Once they get a firm date (I'd guess a month or so from now), I'm going to throw up a new thread and try to wrangle some goons together for more pubbie tear harvesting fun.

No one gives a gently caress that you think the game Devs boned you. If it's still an issue with you after all of this time, go see a loving Doctor.

Man up and make your own thread , bitch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Whoa, SinJin. Nice meltdown.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

SinJin posted:

No one gives a gently caress that you think the game Devs boned you. If it's still an issue with you after all of this time, go see a loving Doctor.

What the hell are you even on about? I already said I'll start a new thread once we get a firm date.

Leave it to a jobtar fanboi give up reading something 2 sentences in and throw an autistic fit over nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SinJin posted:

lol

• Locked thread