Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
The new iteration of this game is leaps and bounds better. A lot of the game breaking poo poo seems to have been fixed.

So far, I haven't seen or heard of anyone botting. Its a good bet that botting is still a thing. Most games have them but there's no unstoppable character(s) running around smashing everything in sight.

The game definitely requires the use of a mouse/keyboard combo. I'm temporarily stuck with a laptop and its touchpad, I can't use a mouse at the moment either. It's a bitch with a touchpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
Still a small group of us logging in everyday. Usually, there's at least one person (goon) on during each of the time zones. Additionally, there's a couple non-goon villagers online often.

One of our villagers did some serious poopsocking and created the best (that we know of) Hammer and Anvil in the game. Then he decided to equip the rest of the world with sets almost as good as ours. I guess selling HQ tools and armor was too lucrative. **good game**

It's been a rather quiet Month, in game. Little action with lots of carebearing. Anyone wanting to join, especially to poo poo-up the place, is welcome. We're happy to help support anyone that wants to build up PvP characters.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
I'm addicted to this game for some reason. I love it and hate it at the same time. Currently, it is the only game I play.

There's still a couple of us poking around. We have a couple Goons and a few non-Goons in our village. We killed the Chieftain of a nearby village and took on a couple players from that village very recently. Most of what we have been doing for the past couple of months is stat building and item quality pushing. Pretty much a quality grinding spiral. Our own version of Sim Village.

I don't recommend anyone start playing but if you do, we have a lot of living space to make use of. As mentioned earlier, all stat caps have been removed. There is code in place to prevent anyone from hand-bashing walls and villages. I "think" there's a combat mechanic in place that limits a higher stat character from being no more effective than about 16% above his/her opponent. So, there's always hope that you can kill a player character that might have god-like stats. It happens too. We've seen players "kiting" their opponents only too get stuck on a tree or rock for a second and end up getting their poo poo pushed in by one or two players with characters that are only a fraction of his/her stats .

The introduction of Realms is a very cool addition. For anyone familiar with the game, it's a little like Village Authority but on a much larger scale and with a few more abilities. A Village can cast their Realm authority over extremely large swaths of the world, if they choose to do so. Others can push into yours and challenge you for control. As your Realm gains authority, it can buff certain player stats for anyone within it. We know of a Realm that buffs players so much that it normally takes a few weeks to reach without the buff.

Knarrs are a thing. Very large boats that are hard to build and have stats based off of quality. They can hold a solo player or a raiding party. They have huge cargo ability too. We've had hunters return with 50+ animal kills and we had hunters murdered and the Knarr stolen. We think that we currently have the best or second best Knarr in the game. We have the ability to do better and to produce several of them.

The Devs continue to improve the game. They just went live with floating point coordinates. They still need to work on combat more. Item characteristics and stats are now greatly influenced by the various material options that are available to craft with. Like, Butter Scones. You can use Wheat Flour or Barley Flour and you can use Cows Milk or Sheeps Milk. Everything changes the stats of an item, sometimes greatly. Every type of tree and bush in the game has its own unique type of wood board and wood block. It will change the look of an item that you build.

The Devs do a decent job at nuking anyone and any village that is using bots (on a large scale) or abusing bugs. * Devs don't seem to care if a person uses a bot to help with farming or fishing or teraforming.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
Okay guys/gals/Goons!

This batshit chaos that has been called "World 9" is about to come to an end !

The two Devs, Jorb and Loftar have decided that a new World will come to age on Saturday January 7th.

I assume, the current pile of poo poo World will go on up till the Devs shut the server down and restart it for new word generation.

The game is free to play. You can later upgrade to a "Verified" account to gain a small boost in Inventory space, learning speed increase, and you will be able to do a few basic and time-consuming tasks a little faster, not more efficient, just a little faster. You can even purchase a "Subscription" for your account(s) and those bonuses will STACK onto "Verified" bonuses. The bonuses are definitely noticeable and very helpful during the start of a new World.

Looking for the details ? All of that and more can be read on their forum, under their "Announcements" section. http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/

For those of you that have played World 9, there is no word yet on any sort of "Armageddon" suicide missions. Feel free to grace us with your presence and create some.

Hopefully, one of the more intelligent Goons will start a new Thread sometime in the next few days. With luck, there will be enough of us next World to poo poo on someone's perfect utopia. ( Please don't tell Sabinati I said that last part!)

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

SweetBro posted:

For those who want to play an almost identical but less dead game, Salem is going to be starting a new expedition (server that eventually ends because witches brought about the apocalypse [which we will obviously be trying to do]) soonish? Once they get a firm date (I'd guess a month or so from now), I'm going to throw up a new thread and try to wrangle some goons together for more pubbie tear harvesting fun.

No one gives a gently caress that you think the game Devs boned you. If it's still an issue with you after all of this time, go see a loving Doctor.

Man up and make your own thread , bitch.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Here's some screenshots of my spot.

Man , you got a lot accomplished in so little time. :respect:

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
@suction , Yes you do. The game devs have a very basic client for the game BUT they do allow custom clients. There's a couple very nice ones made by other players. This is one thing the Devs really fail at, unfortunately.

Something I didn't mention before : If anyone tries this game, you gotta try out one of the two available custom clients. They are so much better that they might help at making you want to play.

@ SoT : Those are Idols for the Realm buffs. I can't recall their names exactly though. There are two (?) different Idols a "King" can build for his/her Realm. Each will buff certain player stats. A Realm can have any number of these. We know of one Realm, DiS, that as sooo many of these that your character stats will be buffed by +132 points..... it's crazy. We have two, that's all unfortunately. 'Next World though ...

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
Additionally, if your body is buried you will be able to inherit something like 30% of your ancestor's stats.

After you are killed and if you are fortunate enough to take advantage of all of the different means of recovering your ancestor's stats, you have the potential of recovering something like 90%. I'm not certain on the %'s but it's something like that.

@forge, that kind of still holds true BUT as Blacktooth stated, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds and certainly no where near as bad as it was in the past.
There are caps or soft-caps placed into the mechanics of combat that greatly reduce the gap between a player with 2000 Unarmed Combat stat points and a player with 300. Statistically speaking, yes the character with 2000 Ua C should win the fight. But there is a little more to it than that.

There is more power in numbers though. Two-three characters with 300 Unarmed Combat should be able to kill a player with 2000. We see it all of the time... Two good PvPers running down a character with crazy high stats.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
Last night, I was watching a YouTube video of one of the Devs playing HnH. He did a live stream yesterday, played the game and answered questions. In it he had stated that he looked at the logs that kept track of player character stats. I can't recall exactly what he said but he mentions there was a couple characters that had reached about 1400 points... but I can't recall what stat(s). He made clear that there were only a couple that ever made it that high during W9.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

isndl posted:

I assume that given the changes to stat/combat system to introduce diminishing returns the hardcore players are just farming up additional combat alts. Why bother with getting your main to 1400pts when you could make three or four disposable alts instead?

True that.

Many players will do just that. Many of us sort of have a personal rule that we always have alts. I like having alts that are specialized for doing certain tasks. Also, I try to have an alt or two that has all of the basic skills learned and a small unused pool of Learning Points that I can dump into certain skills if I ever lose a character. This feeds my altoholic thirst and greatly eases the pains of perma-death.

As the World ages and villages become more advanced and organized, it becomes easier to make/grind new characters with enough skills and stats that get me back in the game.

I think this kind thing is pretty common in just about any MMO though. It's not unique to this game.

About halfway through World 9's life, I lost my main. He was murdered and the killers took my body. Unfortunately, I was able to recover only the automatic 10% ancestor stats/skills. I had only a very basic and low skilled alt to take my main's place. At the end of the World, I'm fairly sure I was among a very small % of players that was farming some of the (almost) highest quality carrots in the game.
(Because of the way carrots were grown, they had by far the fastest grow/harvest cycles. Nothing else even came close. To farm them, a character had to be highly skilled.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Marxalot posted:

Is the lag gone?

The game is leaps and bounds smoother.

• Locked thread