Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
H&H/Salem veteran here, not that I ever really lived the full-on village lifestyle. Just started looking at Haven again and glancing through some of the changes they've made, it seems like skills are hard-capped at 300 (free accounts), 310 if you're a verified account ($15), or 330 (subscription). No more weekly time limits. Seems like that levels the playing field a lot for newbies, since there's no risk of unstoppable juggernauts that can bash your palisades down with their bare hands, along with a bunch of other quality of life improvements. Custom clients available with minor botting tools out of the box so you can cut out even more of the tedium.

Overall it's looking like a much more friendly game to jump into, so I thought I'd ask if goons were still active? I noticed the OP still mentioned the weekly recharge thing so it obviously hasn't been updated in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
And that's why anyone familiar with the game mechanics uses an alt to do anything that would leave scents. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I assume that given the changes to stat/combat system to introduce diminishing returns the hardcore players are just farming up additional combat alts. Why bother with getting your main to 1400pts when you could make three or four disposable alts instead?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Blacktooth posted:

Given the chance people will compete over most anything.

And honestly, once you can get any character that high you probably have the infrastructure to boost alts fairly quickly. They probably do have have alts.

Yeah, but combat stats tend to be closely guarded secrets. You wouldn't see uncensored stat windows from top players unless the world was ending or whatever.

I know alts are commonplace, my point is why keep pumping your main for negligible benefit when you could double the number of alts you have for the same resource expenditure.

SinJin posted:

I think this kind thing is pretty common in just about any MMO though. It's not unique to this game.

Alts are common for multiplayer games, particularly in games where specialization is encouraged (e.g. Haven's Farmer vs. Miner vs. Cook etc.). Haven's permadeath and PVP mechanics is a significant departure from most other games in that regard though, because now you're incentivized to continue producing additional alts with the express purpose of replacing your main(s) when they die. Most games you make one or two crafter alts and stop there, while Haven encourages you to continue making more alts so long as you have the resources to fuel them, particularly for hazardous occupations like mining or combat.

That's also before getting into alt based strategies like alt vaulting or lawspeaker alts or false flag raiding.

e: hell of a time for the forums to go down while fixing some grammar, heh.

isndl fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 8, 2017

• Locked thread