Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So I've been dating my Canadian boyfriend/fiancé for a bit over two years now, and we're starting to feel like the time has come to make it more permanent. We've been pretty lucky so far that we get to spend, relatively, a lot of time together, particularly these last two summers (three months at his place in Ontario, three and a half months with him here in Seattle) but parting is just getting more and more painful and Skyping is barely a band-aid on the real thing. Unfortunately, neither of us has any idea of how to go about my immigrating, particularly on how to get started. We both know a couple people in our friend circle who've done it and they offered tips, so we'll definitely be consulting them as well but it seems like a good idea to ask here as well.

The basics:
-What? How? Where? The whole process seems so overwhelming. Where, exactly, should we begin?
-What do we need to provide? I've heard that we need to provide documentation of our relationship, which is actually great because we've got extensive facebook conversations and absurd amounts of video dating back to the first time we met.
-Any particular do's/don't's? Is a dual citizenship more difficult to acquire than simply switching? Does not having an industry job harm my chances?

So yeah, any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated, especially in regards to first steps. It seems like there's an awful lot of ducks to get in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread