Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I did this. It took a couple of years and reams of paperwork. We were also lucky in that we had extensive IRC conversations while we were apart and records and plane tickets from all the visits we had with each other, plus heaps of photos and the wedding guest list etc. It took a crazy long time to get all the poo poo together, but once we did, it was fairly quick to be approved (I am a New Zealand citizen, may differ for non-commonwealth countries). My (now-ex, lol) husband took care of most of the paperwork, but I had to get medical checks and write a statement about our relationship. While waiting for my residency I was not entitled to work or to receive subsidized medical care, so the Canadian partner should be able to support a non-working spouse. As a resident I am also not entitled to welfare, but am entitled to provincial medical coverage in BC.
Although I am sad that the marriage didn't work out in the end, I am glad to have Canadian residency as Canada is a really cool country and I would like to move back and live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread