Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zakmonster posted:

For example: God says marriage is for a man and a woman, and butt stuff is a sin. Doesn't make being gay a sin, it just means you can't have gay sex. Is this fair to a gay person? No, definitely not, but a large part of the religion is denying yourself certain pleasures (I hear sex is amazing), because God said so. We can only assume that our rewards for being disciplined is commensurate, once comes the afterlife.

Is it common to believe God is unfair? Christians tend to believe either God is fine with homosexuality or being gay is a choice, I've never come across one who would even consider God is unjust.
Are there particular passages in the Koran that unambiguously condemn being gay or having gay sex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zakmonster posted:

You know what, you're right. I'm gonna look for other examples of scientific theories that are incompatible with Islam and see what the scholars have to say about it. We all know evolution is the popular go to theory, are there any others you guys can think of?

Among Christians, objections I've heard include:
Age of the Earth/Universe being 6-12k years old
Noah's flood literally covering the whole planet about 4k years ago wiping out everything not on the Arc
Dinosaurs co-existed with humans (the flood is usually used to explain their extinction)
Some who accept the old age of the Earth still believe in the order of creation as described in Genesis (eg flowering plants before insects)
Humans used to live for centuries

Geocentricism (ie the Earth literally being the centre of the universe) is a less common belief I've only seen on internet forums

There's nothing in the Bible about climate change, but I don't think I've ever encountered a creationist who wasn't a denier. Not sure if it's because they tend to be politically rights wing or they've just got used to seeing science as the enemy. Is there anything similar in the Muslim world?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Tendai posted:

Depending on who you listen to and where you live, Ramadan may have started as early as right now, so

Ramadan Mubarak everyone :toot: I hope it's wonderful for you all.

Is any allowance made for latitude when it comes to fasting? There's like 5 hours of darkness in June where I live.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What are your thoughts on the Ahmadiyya? Are they well known outside the Pakistani community?
Asking because of the rather ugly news story about the guy here in Scotland who was just murdered for blasphemy having come here from Pakistan to flee persecution :(

What are your thoughts on blasphemy in general?

• Locked thread