Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Tendai posted:

Yeah I haven't wanted to touch that, sorry. I've been moving and stressed and not only were my books packed up but also I didn't want to deal with what looked like it was likely to become just unpleasant back-and-forth arguing.

I've realized that (most of) the Muslims I meet online are really representative of internet culture as a whole -- way more intense about things on the internet. At least I hope so. Earlier I was talking with a couple people I knew when I lived in Arizona and they also had the same experience. Nobody I've ever met in real life, even people who were strictly orthodox Sunni, have been as narrow-minded and rude as people on, say, the /r/islam area of Reddit.

Just be cool, friendos

You're not joking about the intense thing. I converted as a teenager and while it's been about 10 years since I converted, my grandmother still sends me very "I'm not good with tech" texts like "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BELOVED GRANDSON. YOU MAY CASH THE CHECK I SEND YOU AS A GIFT BECAUSE I LOVE YOU".

Maybe it wasn't funny enough to share, but I did anyway & the responses I got on /Islam were across the board unchill. Ranging from "birthdays are haram" to "wtf birthdays are NOT haram" to "you should love your Gramma shame on you!" to "have you tried proselytizing your Gramma yet?!".

Reddit sucks no matter what your faith. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

inklesspen posted:

Far be it from me to distract from people telling each other what they think about the gays, but I have a weird question and I hope someone knowledgable can answer it.

Premise 1: Islamic cosmology (not sure if that's the correct term here but let's roll with it) teaches that in addition to humans, there are beings called jinn which have free will and can be Muslims or Christians or whatever.
Premise 2: A properly chosen/appointed caliph (leaving aside how you get there) is the leader of the entire Muslim community.

(If my premises are off, please let me know.)

Given these premises, is the caliph the leader of all Muslims, human and jinn? Or just of human Muslims?

This is a very unique question! And being one of the many musulgoons, I'll offer an answer!

Because what little God has shared with humanity regarding Jinn, any sort of solid answer to your question would just be conjecture. There are certainly a lot of pre-Islamic "folktale" information that disseminates into talk about Jinn (go ahead and google "jinn" on ebay for all the looney tunes trying to sell sexy jinn ladies), but a majority of what we know is basic information ie: They live and die, etc. I suppose you could argue that humans are on a need-to-know basis when it comes the subject.

• Locked thread