Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Tendai posted:

There are a number of fairly good ones out there these days, but my own preferred translation is The Noble Qur'an: A New Rendering of Its Meaning in English translated by Abdalhaqq and Aisha Bewley. The translation by Yusuf Ali is probably one of if not the most well known English translations, I also have that and I think it was the first one I read.

It's probably somewhat daunting to a lot of people but I really do recommend reading more than one translation side by side if you're really interested. Like compare the Bewley translation with Interpretation of the Meanings of the Noble Qur'an that was translated by Muhammad Muhsin Khan and Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din al-Hilali and is the version that the Saudi government officially promotes.

Forgive me if this comes off as completely misinformed.

I've heard people say that translations are technically not the Qur'an and only the Arabic writings can truly be considered the Qur'an. Is that true? I'm no scholar myself but I guess I can understand why something like that would become an issue.

On that note, do you know a lot of Arabic? Do you intend to learn it in full at some point down the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread