Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I feel like I can comprehend people being born and raised into a culture and religion and not ever leaving it. But I must admit to finding it pretty difficult to understand a person who consciously rejects one form of organised religion in favour of another in anything other than a purely spiritual way.

By that I mean, I get religious people who leave Christianity and embrace a mostly non-theistic way of life in Buddhism because they find it spiritually fulfilling. But I don't get trading one mythology for another. Why would you view one as more valid than another?

Do you just think: "This Jesus guy, he's just some bit part. However, Muhammad? Well this guy definitely was the real deal. Time to jump ship!"

Do you buy wholesale into the entire Islamic story? I have this exact same problem with people who join "recent" religions, when you can clearly pinpoint the date some guy (inevitably) wrote it all up in 1862.

So, yeah. I assume you found Islam to fulfil your spiritual demands, and you just have to take the story and the demands it brings with it? So you pray 5x per day, intend to Hajj etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread