Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BattyKiara posted:

I get that Islam doesn't allow paintings, but what about music? Or other types or art. Is there such a thing as Islamic art to show the glory of Allah?
it's difficult to overstate how much these guys love calligraphy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

counterfeitsaint posted:

What do you think about Islamists or "political Islam"? I mean specifically "the belief that Islam should guide social and political as well as personal life". I'm sure that fringe christian analogies exist, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say the concept of theocracy is far, far more widespread in the Muslim world than anywhere else.
Catholic Integralism, which used to be big
Christian Reconstructionism, which still is big in areas of Protestant Christianity--you'd be surprised how many right wing American politicians are fine with people who want America to run on their interpretation of biblical law

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
That's insanely cool.

someone post Malaysian recipes, i've never had any Malaysian food. what's it like

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
cats with stubby legs exist, so...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
take that nazi poo poo down

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tendai posted:

This tumblr has a lot of really good photography of cats in Istanbul in various places :3:
there's tons of cats in the other rome as well, basically the entire mediterrenian is full of them

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tendai posted:

To judge by the liturgical thread and this one, cats are the true ambassadors of inter-faith dialogue :v:
there's more pictures of Hagia Sophia Cat on that blog, and what a fat little face :3:

edit:
same cat

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 7, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
you can ask a mod to change it, i almost asked one to change the Catholodox thread to Welcome Potato and then someone told me it was fake

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tendai posted:

There's some fundamental thing here that I'm not following in terms of knowing what the hell that bolded part means.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/photoshopped-welcome-potato-pope-photo-827201
:saddowns:

the joke is that the word for pope and the word for potato are extremely similar in spanish

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, politics seems to play a huge role both in early Islam and Christianity. There were a number of councils called to debate early Christian doctrine and that's largely where the major theological divides develop. As much as I'd like to think I'm distant from Rome, holy crap has my exposure to Orthodox Christianity made me realize that the more significant divide is between Eastern and Western Christianity (which again I think is largely due to how the Roman Empire collapsed)
hi pellisworth, if you read closely you will find that the roman empire never collapsed until the 1920s, peace and namaste

quote:

Again this is probably a big difference between scriptures that are an oral recitation and ones that are constantly translated texts. Martin Luther didn't have earth-shaking ideas out of nowhere, he was largely building on the legacies of Jan Hus (Czech) and John Wycliffe (English). The Reformation was successful because Martin Luther was a huge goonlord who couldn't resist posting a lengthy academic disputation of official Roman Catholic doctrine (95 theses but ________ ain't one). Cue invention of printing press spreading his and other Christian reformers ideas across Europe.
and that these people love calligraphy. it's kiiind of like how the people i study view legal texts until long after the printing press was invented (germans also love calligraphy)

Tendai posted:

This IS a really big difference. Every Muslim is encouraged to read the Qur'an; hell, we are encouraged to memorize it and people who do are called hafiz/hafiza.
i think it's also that your religion is way less focused on rituals than, like, the Orthodox church. It's a good thing if you can read the bible, but you can also put icons in the eastern side of your room and light candles and pray, etc. Similarly, while Protestants regard their church meetings as a place to receive instruction and hear the Bible read, and now Catholics do too thanks to a bunch of stuff, Orthodox regard the Liturgy as valuable for itself, and you can participate in it if you want. In the really big churches you can find a bunch of people praying off to the side, etc., while the Liturgy is going on. It's spiritually valuable just to be there.

Edit: My mother is Catholic and she's always wanted to die during Mass, but not because she'll then do it forever, because of the grace that it would bring. She also envies the people whose bones built the Central European ossuary churches, because they'll always be part of a Mass.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 16, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tendai posted:

EDIT: If you wanted to be really weird, if there was an oil rig or something northeast of New Zealand in the South Pacific, could they technically lay face-down on the ground since that's the antipode to Mecca?
everyone stand in a circle, back to back and faces out

assuming (which i do) that you guys are basically iron filings under a magnet

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

cats with stubby legs exist, so...
i found the picture i was looking for! finally!
look at this cat

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
at least our holy cities aren't full of fuckwads, rome's full of italians and istanbul, as far as i can see from the internet, is largely cats

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Amun Khonsu posted:

Im Italian heritage
same

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
This isn't Muslim, but Buddhist temple cats are a thing like mosque cats are, and here is a Taiwanese kitten who was rescued from the walls of a temple and will beccome a temple cat when it is grown:
http://lovemeow.com/2015/10/orphaned-kitten-rescued-by-monks/

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hello thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv7ndaREzYc
i hope you like this song

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
brother ali is blind (and an albino), so when he says that god made him the way he is that's one of the things he's talking about

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
tendai (or any other muslim women here), in my religion women cover their heads when they go to church.
i've seen a lot of muslim women who look loving fine, but when i wear a headscarf it looks like hot rear end. how do i make my veil look better

thx

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what up bad veil crew

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
remember when we determined that turkey is full of cats?
http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2015/11/16/new-video-from-g20-summit-proves-that-cats-really-do-run-the-world/

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bolocko posted:

If Muhammad had been born in, let's say, an Israel suburb some 750 miles due north, what would be different?

don't be disingenuous, most muslims are not white and i think that's what fuzz meant

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Amun Khonsu posted:

help maintain their churches and synagogues, etc.
which you do; the keys to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem were turned over to a Muslim family to administer in Ottoman times, probably because the Ottomans knew they couldn't trust us not to be massive douchebags to one another over the church

these guys:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nusaybah_clan

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
religious dietary laws always rest on rules lawyering and dubious science, i can eat invertebrates during Lent but not meat (if I refrained from eating meat when I should, which I don't) because they aren't "animals" according to what people believed in the Byzantine empire in the 6th century AD

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's worth noting that Iranian scholars adjusted their scales-related justification for the sort of fish that produce most Iranian caviar, because when it was forbidden for a bit the Iranian fishing industry lost a ton of money. :toot:

I love technicality arguments in religion, not least because some of them are totally not rooted in economics and it's mean to say they are.
yeah when england stopped being catholic the fishing industry took a hit until elizabeth i said they should stop eating meat on fridays again

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Immortan posted:

Isn't interesting how historians and apologists differ on this issue?
Can you please repost the historians you cite, i think i missed that

edit: Amon Khonsu, I know how your family feels: when I was in high school one of my teachers made reading the Bible mandatory, which was fine since it was a literature class and most English-language literature is heavily influenced by the Bible, the problem was she wanted us to read a Protestant translation, which I was not OK with. It took a lot of work for me to be able to read a Catholic translation instead.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ashgromnies posted:

He never will, he is a literal unironic Trump supporter and this is his schtick: making claims contrary to visible evidence and then never substantiating them.
sssh, that was the joke

• Locked thread