Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Apologies for any mistakes. I've been hearing an awful lot about Islam for all sorts of people and the muslims who speak on everything I've seen are crazy. The BBC does not bring on moderates very often.

There's the Niqab, Burka and other veils to varying degrees. Is this a cultural thing? Everyone wearing them says it's religious, everyone who doesn't seems to say it's cultural. Does it come down to some cultures have decided those pieces of clothing are a symbol of faith and that's where the enforcement in some countries springs from?

I'm also curious about consumption of alcohol and pork. I've heard stories of muslims coming to Europe, accidentally drinking or eating something they shouldn't and then deciding "oh well, too late now" and never bothering with some aspects of Sharia again.

Also, Sharia Law means law law doesn't it? How standardised is it? Is it like Leviticus in that it's written in the respective holy book adhere to it to varying degrees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I've been thinking about giving the Qu'ran a read. Is there any consensus on which Qu'ran is a good translation? There's enough heated debate in this thread that I want to make a decision for myself about the treatment of women and the like. I can get to the Hadith and the Biography of the Prophet later.

How do they relate to each other in terms of hierarchy? I understand whatever is the newest is the most important and that overwrites earlier passages, but when was the biography written and how do you date back Hadiths?

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Tendai posted:

Also, which biography are you referring to? The earliest biographies are more collections of stories and reports on actions rather than a single solid text. I don't know much about them or their English availability, unfortunately.

I recall some Islamic scholars referring to a book, I think called the Summah, but I can't find it now. They called it the biography of the Prophet, which I assumed was more or less considered a definitive biography of his life, in the vein of Caesar's.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Could that be due to the bombings in Saudi Arabia? Media was bombed the other day, just in time for the end of Ramadan, so that's probably a bigger concern than the exact end of Ramadan.

Speaking of, I was told recently that Jerusalem was the 4th holiest site in Islam, so if Mecca and Medina are 1st and 2nd, what does that make the 3rd?

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
That's the problem with anything controversial. Pro is seen as balanced by supporters and anti is seen as balanced by people against.

I know Sam Harris wrote "Islam and the Future of Tolerance" with Maajid Nawaz, which may be something worth looking at, since it's an atheist and a Muslim writing together. The main issue is Maajid is anti Islamist, which draws him a lot of ire from some groups.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Bolocko posted:

Nawaz being an anti-Islamist is probably less controversial (many Muslims I'm familiar with cast side-eye at Islamists) than the arguably anti-theist Harris, who's on record often saying Muslims, Jews, and Christians who don't accept the violent extremist versions of their religions "don't take their beliefs seriously".

I'm inclined to think that the book must be reasonably good if they sat down and wrote it together. I listened to his podcast where he explained some reasoning behind one of his books and I wouldn't call him the mindless bigot people make him out to be. He just says things without entirely realising how they could be interpreted.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I think that's because it's harder to demonise him. He's come to close to the "true" image of Islam, being a former Islamist of some sort. Then he rejected it. You can't really hate something without having loved it first. Possibly a Takfir, depending on their interpretation of Islam.

To them, Harris is just a heathen like any other.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
He's seemed level headed in the interviews I've seen him do. Tries to mathematically quantify violence in the Qu'Ran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
On mobile now, but I remember a fairly liberal cleric saying that it's a sin, but desperately trying to get across that it's still not okay to kill them.

If that's the liberal view and the Qu'ran is the literal word of God, then we may be at an impasse.

And I'd consider the penal codes of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and suchlike as a big warning sign. And wasn't it Turkey that ran a newspaper saying "50 perverts killed in Orlando"? I consider Turkey to be on the liberal end of Muslim Majority countries.

Hazzard fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 26, 2016

• Locked thread