Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The problem with that argumentation is that it treats Muhammad like any other human being of his time. The question is why, of all the billions of people who have lived on this planet, someone chooses to follow the teachings of this exact one guy (which they do in 2015, not 700) when he did not live what you would consider a morally justifiable life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

ashgromnies posted:

You're doing a thing where you're expecting there to be an objective definition of a "morally justifiable life".

Social moral standards shift and change, 10 years ago many of the people currently changing their Facebook profiles to rainbow-ized versions were calling people "faggots" and opposed to gay marriage. 25 years ago, "Don't Ask Don't Tell" was considered progressive by many.

50 years ago plenty of people thought "separate but equal" for blacks and whites was reasonable.

What do you do, that is socially normal, that will be judged as immoral in the future? It's hard to know, and the standards are set by fickle people.

No, I'm not. I'm presuming everyone in this thread does not consider slavery or having sex with 9 year olds morally justifiable. I'm also not talking about people following Muhammad 1000 or 50 years ago, I'm talking about people following him in 2015.

Tendai posted:

I didn't convert because of Muhammad. I converted because of the Qur'an and how it spoke to me. He was, and this is probably going to sound blasphemous as poo poo, simply the conduit through which it passed. As to why he was the one chosen for it, gently caress if I can answer that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sunna seems to be a pretty central part of Islam to me? If it's not part of your belief then my question obviously doesn't apply to you.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

ashgromnies posted:

I don't get your angle. You're confused at how people can take historical context into account, and say, "we like THESE ideas this person had, but not these other ones any more because we've moved beyond that societally"? You think there should be prophets of every moral era, to match the standards of the time? I'm not sure what your argument is any more.

No. My point is that, as far as I know, Muslims are supposed to emulate Muhammads life (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunnah). My questions was how someone in 2015, who doesn't consider that life justifiable by their own standard, would willingly decide to do that. I'm not talking about how to judge the actions of people 1300 years ago, I'm asking why someone would, in 2015, decide that the life of one of them should be the standard of moral living. Of course it's fine to say "we like THESE ideas this person had, but not these other ones any more because we've moved beyond that societally" but that, as far as I know, would not be considered Islam by any major religious faction. That last part could be totally wrong, which is why I was asking it in the first place.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 1, 2015

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Does anyone have a credible source for the discriminatory origin of the word moslem? Because I'm 95% sure it's indeed a different spelling of the same word, based on the persian pronounciation instead of the original arabic and most of the few google results saying otherwise are deliberately offensive right wing crap.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's not really the point, I know that the word moslem is similar to the root Z-L-M . It is however also similar to the persian pronounciation of the word S-L-M and I couldn't find any credible sources saying that the origin of the germanic word moslem isn't the latter.

• Locked thread