Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Positive Optimyst posted:

Yes.

The al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem is #3, so we read. I went there in the early 90s.

I dabble into relgion on and off and I just purchased two books that I'll start reading tonight:

"The Complete Infidel's Guide to the Koran" by Robert Spencer, and

"The story of Mohammed Islam unveiled" by by Harry Richardson.

I've read about Islam before and watched speakers. I've talk with muslims and non-muslims who were / are into Islam (and/or religion).

When looking for books I was not looking for something that was "too scholarly" in writing style nor something that was on the "positive" side towards Mohammed or Islam.

I'll read this books for starters and then look for other more nuetral works (although I don't know if these books are what you would critiques), as I haven't read them yet. Robert Spencer is very critical of the Quran and Islam, however.

So, a question to members: with so many book on Islam, does anyone have a recommendation of a book that is as "neutral" as possible (if this is, possible)?

You do realize that Robert Spencer is the founder of two organizations that are considered by the Anti-Defamation League and Southern Poverty Law Center to be hate groups? He's literally banned from entering the UK because of his hate speech. It's a bizarre place to start if you're looking for neutrality; it's like reading David Duke to get an understanding of black history.

I'd recommend (like Svartvit) John Esposito. He's respected by both Muslims and non-Muslims, and has written a number of very accessible books for the general reader. And he's not actually Muslim, which I suspect would disqualify him in your opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread