Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Tendai posted:

I'm guessing you mean the sunnah, which kind of ties into the hadith. The hadith is what Muhammad said, and the sunnah is what he did, to put it really simply. The sunnah can also include things he said, so basically it's like the sunnah is the overall "example of Muhammad" while the hadith refers specifically to things he said and does not include things he did or unspoken things or the like.

They're considered "biographical" but not a biography as such.

Surely hes talking about Ibn Hisham's sira?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Classical Arabic biographies are almost always written by a muhaddith relaying oral tradition as far as I know. In my experience, even when you read tabaqat or something similar you will get to know the subjects through often fantastical anecdotes complete with isnad and all.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Hazzard posted:

Could that be due to the bombings in Saudi Arabia? Media was bombed the other day, just in time for the end of Ramadan, so that's probably a bigger concern than the exact end of Ramadan.

Speaking of, I was told recently that Jerusalem was the 4th holiest site in Islam, so if Mecca and Medina are 1st and 2nd, what does that make the 3rd?

Depends on who you ask but a Sunni will probably say that al-Aqsa is one of the three most holy places. There's no godly sanctioned ranking tas far as I know but if someone in here knows about it let me know?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Positive Optimyst posted:

So, a question to members: with so many book on Islam, does anyone have a recommendation of a book that is as "neutral" as possible (if this is, possible)?

If by "neutral" you mean "scholarly" then https://www.amazon.com/Islam-Straight-John-L-Esposito/dp/0195396006

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
There is no such thing as a neutral account of Islam. It is a widespread religion with over a billion followers. Do you want to know about the history/practice/theology/variants of Islam, then read a respected scholar like the one mentioned. If you want to read about how Muslims can't understand democracy or whatever keep reading your books.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Positive Optimyst posted:

Thank you Black Bones.

I read the caption. Although a general outline, I see it more his way, than those who are "positive" towards the ideology.

I'll try to find more from him.

Bill Warner is not a scholar of Islam, he's a math PhD. You might as well just read Freep and absorb the same knowledge. In fact, I think you probably should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Fuzz posted:

What the gently caress happened to this thread.

:yikes:

First "legitimate criticism of Islam", then "philosophy".

• Locked thread