Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I asked this in the GBS thread but never got a reply, so: Tell me about Ibadis and Ahmadiyyas, the sects everyone always forgets about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

A more substantial question: What's the process for officially converting? Is it just "say so on the census," or is there a test, or do you talk with an imam, or what? Religious conversion in general from one faith to another (instead of just to a different branch of the same faith) is very interesting to me.

Also, how do you feel about Baha'is? I know a ton of Muslims consider us to be apostates.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

What's your opinion on the "72 virgins" thing? Do you think it's an accurate translation, or do you hold the view that it's supposed to be read as "72 pure people" or "72 of a particular kind of grape" as some scholars believe?*

*hooray for foreign language homophones and figures of speech :confuoot:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I think it sounds like a better word for sabr might be perseverance?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

You're right that no reasonable person would consider any of those things acceptable today, but you also have to look at them in the context of the time—while Islam sadly hasn't progressed quite as far as a lot of other major religions have, the fact is that none of those things were remotely unusual for the time that it was established, whether in Arabia or elsewhere.

Slavery in one form or another was practiced in a huge number of societies around the world until within just the last few hundred years. Islam's relative (but not total) lack of progression makes it misogynistic by today's standards, but at the time of its founding it was more progressive than pre-Islamic Arabian society, and did things like put a limit on the number of wives that a man could have, and although that limit was more than one, it was still a limit where none had previously existed. And gross as they are, child brides weren't exactly unheard of in Europe during the same time, either.

Context is important. You have to remember that in the late 500s and early 600s when Muhammad (pbuh) lived, the world in general was a hosed-up place. It doesn't remotely excuse it, but it does mean that we have to be careful in how we apply our own views to our judgments of the past.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

The way I've always seen the Hadith is like unofficial tie-in novels to a movie. Some of them might be pretty good, but a lot of them are probably bad and nobody'll really agree whether or not they're canon because the person who wrote the movie is dead.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

So what does Islam say about body modification? Even basic stuff like tats and piercings.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Amun Khonsu posted:

Body modification outside of necessity (like tattoos) is generally considered forbidden. Ear piercings (even nose according to some in South East Asia) are allowed for women, but other piercings also are generally considered forbidden. If someone already has them, however, they are not required to remove them or modify them, except if it is something incredibly vulgar.
What is generally considered "necessary"? If someone has some kind of disfiguration but it doesn't actually impede their functioning, would that qualify? What some something like gender dysphoria, where the medical community says one thing but large parts of the general public, especially those who are religious, say something else? Hair transplants for balding people? Hair dye, whether to cover up grey or to make it rainbow or something?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

goose fleet posted:

Were any features of the ancient religions of Arabia incorporated into Islam, similar to how Christianity adopted some of the old pagan rituals of Europe?
I know the Kaaba, at least, predates Islam by several centuries.

Anyway I thought of a stupid and really nerdy hypothetical question: If, one day in the indeterminately-far future, we have Star Trek style food replicators, would it be halal to eat otherwise-forbidden food like pork as long as it was replicated, since it wouldn't technically have come from a pig or whatever, or would it still be haraam and the intent more important than the origin?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I would hope music is allowed, or Chalf Hassan and Omar Faruk Tekbilek are in big trouble.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I'm an atheist but this thread is making me want to convert to something just to spite the pushy, evangelical atheists who are just as irritating as the people they hate.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

So I got Tendai's opinion earlier, but I want to ask our other Muslim friends who've since come in: How do y'all feel about Baha'is? I don't mean the opinion of your local Imam, or the official position of one country or another (I already know where Iran stands), I'm talking about specifically the people in this thread and your personal beliefs and feelings. I was raised Baha'i, and although I'm not a believer any more it's still been an influence on me.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I might have missed this, but on the "who does and doesn't go to heaven" discussion, what about people of non-Abrahamic faiths, or no faith at all, who nonetheless lived good lives? Will the Dalai Lama go to heaven, for example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Jastiger posted:

When the requirement to face Mecca was put in, was it known that the world was round, and not flat with a firmament yet? I feel like that's pretty important.
The Greeks calculated the roundness of the world, and even did a pretty good job of estimating its size, before even the birth of Jesus. So I'm going to go with yes.

• Locked thread