Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Uber Kosh posted:

:hfive:

Fake edit: Also, four hours in and I'm part-way through Chapter 2. 5-hour campaign my rear end.

Update: Five hours of play time, just finished Chapter 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't give 2 wet farts about robot toys but I love Platinum. Does this game have any big setpieces like the higher budget P* games, or is it just core mechanics for the most part?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

The only thing I don't like about this game is that your forced to play as the villains.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Finally managed to beat a boss on the first try, and got an SS rank on it, no less

Playing the game on hard first really messes with the difficulty curve

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
How is this on PC? Cause if I get it, it would be on Steam

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Does anyone else get the sense that more effort was put into Grimlock than anyone else? Not that I'm arguing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

notZaar posted:

I don't give 2 wet farts about robot toys but I love Platinum. Does this game have any big setpieces like the higher budget P* games, or is it just core mechanics for the most part?
It's a bit more on the restrained/lower budget side, but there's a few moments. It isn't as totally dull as Korra was, but it's nowhere near as insane as MGR.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

notZaar posted:

I'm only in Chapter 4, but It feels like the bots you control were designed for a better game, if that makes any sense?

Maybe there is more spectacle later, but so far every boss fight, including Devastator, ends with them either just falling over or saying "Screw you, I'm leaving." After fighting them in a place basically identical to everywhere else you've been.

But I get to put drill fists on Optimus prime and fire them rocket punch style into someone's robo dick, before shooting everyone with machineguns just because I can.

inthesto posted:

Does anyone else get the sense that more effort was put into Grimlock than anyone else? Not that I'm arguing

I should probably use him, I've used everyone else at least once after getting the option to choose. Wheeljack's Vehicle attacks are simple yet satisfying because instead ramming things he pops out machineguns 90% of the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The problem with Grimlock is that you have to tap repeatedly to do a "vehicle" attack, which is awkward compared to the mobility option of driving.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

How is this on PC? Cause if I get it, it would be on Steam

I'm playing on PC and it runs like a dream

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When do you go bak to the hub or whatever? trying to reach that before I stop... I just arrived at the base of the Steel Tower?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

I have trouble believing this happened on my first run through the game. Platinum needs to raise the bar, here.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
How is the vehicle stuff? The vehicle segments are always the worst parts of Platinum games so the idea of them making a game where every character can turn into a vehicle at any time is kind of worrying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You mostly just use the vehicles for dashing/quick movement. It's closer to Raiden's ninja run than anything.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sleeveless posted:

How is the vehicle stuff? The vehicle segments are always the worst parts of Platinum games so the idea of them making a game where every character can turn into a vehicle at any time is kind of worrying.
From the few minutes I played it is a little awkward at first because 'dodge', 'vehicle attack' and 'turn into vehicle' are all the same button held down for different amounts of time. During the first few fights I sometimes ended up turning into a truck when I meant to dodge. You get over it pretty fast though. The vehicle segments I've seen so far have been simple and only last a few seconds ('Chase Megatron across a highway and slap him when you get close enough') and none of them were awkward or long enough to be tedious.

Also people are right when they say it's at a kind of middle-ground compared to other Platinum games. The combat is way better than Korra but so far the general map design doesn't hold up to Bayonetta or Vanquish.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 7, 2015

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Honestly, I actually think Korra's combat is actually better (switching between elements mid combo is actually pretty interesting and the game had some flashy animations that are completely absent in Devstation), but this game definitely has more bells and whistles on it.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Transformers movies were trash and the toys were but a fleeting stopgap interest during childhood, but this game is awesome because giant robots that turn into cars and also fight are awesome, and Platinum is awesome.

Even if you're not nostalgic for the IP itself, the game manages to be a top-shelf brawler on a budget. It's not quite Bayo 2 or MGR, but it's great considering the budget and the likely mandate to appeal to a broader audience.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought I remembered Revengence being like 30 bucks when it launched on steam?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tae posted:

I thought I remembered Revengence being like 30 bucks when it launched on steam?

it launched at 60 on consoles

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Jesus christ I'm stuck on 6-10 and I don't see any feasible way to do this :psyduck:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

inthesto posted:

Jesus christ I'm stuck on 6-10 and I don't see any feasible way to do this :psyduck:

inthesto posted:

I have trouble believing this happened on my first run through the game. Platinum needs to raise the bar, here.

lol. Raise the bar.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

inthesto posted:

Have you considered using items? Despite having just beat it I don't remember specifically which fight 6-10 was but I'd expect you probably have a full inventory of five 50% health heals and one 100% health heal.

If it's one of those fights where energy spheres are being spammed, the fact I had a machinegun helped clear those out for some breathing room (as did ammo refill items).

Of course I was also playing on normal.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

items are for cowards

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

transformers is the greatest ip ever because of the japanese beast wars opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoRDp55F1y4

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
This game is great. Really fun combat system. I'd say Platinum fans and character action fans should pick it up, even if they don't care for Transformers.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Section Z posted:

Have you considered using items? Despite having just beat it I don't remember specifically which fight 6-10 was but I'd expect you probably have a full inventory of five 50% health heals and one 100% health heal.

If it's one of those fights where energy spheres are being spammed, the fact I had a machinegun helped clear those out for some breathing room (as did ammo refill items).

Of course I was also playing on normal.

Actually, I was on 7-10 Devastator and Menasor tag team and yeah I always forget that items exist in Platinum games. The fight was doable with them

And then it turns out that was functionally the final boss and the other two fights after that is just your victory lap

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

inthesto posted:

Actually, I was on 7-10 Devastator and Menasor tag team and yeah I always forget that items exist in Platinum games. The fight was doable with them

And then it turns out that was functionally the final boss and the other two fights after that is just your victory lap

A leveled up to 7 Steel Hammer probably went a ways to making that easier for me, too. It also helps that this is probably the only Platinum game I've played where I can successfully continue my combos after a dodge. (and one of the few items I successfully nailed the peak crafting for Tech had a +dodge amount, for extra crutch value).

I am baffled at the pricing of weapons in the item shot. Why the hell are level 3 weapons like, 60,000? Meanwhile I blew through the moves list purchases by the end of Chapter 2 which was so bizarre but also a nice change of pace.

PS: Love and cherish your missile launcher.

EDIT: Does anybody know what the hell all the various tech specs do? Like, what the hell do courage and rank do? Also does anybody know what buttons you push to back out to the main menu while in the middle of a chapter that isn't just outright closing the game?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 8, 2015

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Just started on Magnus difficulty, and the first fight throws a pair of giants at you who proceeded to kill Grimlock (with maxed HP and defense) in three hits :shep:

Stat caps raise in NG+, though. I might just do another run of Commander before doing Magnus

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's worth asking.

I have an old PS2-like PC pad. Would it work with Devastation?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

So, digging this game real hard, but does anyone have a breakdown of what all the various Stats you can level up each do? Can't find any in-game doc on that front.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Is INT/SKL a 50/50 split, or is one more effective than the other?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I first heard of this game when a friend told me "Hey did you know Platinum was doing a Transformers game?" Then I just saw Chip's recent stream and went "Oh hey this is a fun game. Oh god it has weapon drops. Oh god it has stat upgrades. I'm going to lose my life to this game aren't I?"

Probably, but I'll wait until it's on sale.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Bloodly posted:

Is INT/SKL a 50/50 split, or is one more effective than the other?

Different characters scale differently on each stat. On my game, Optimus and Sideswipe both have 23 STR, but Optimus has 3200 HP while Sideswipe has 2700.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Onmi posted:

Probably, but I'll wait until it's on sale.

Yeah same here. 50 bucks seems just a tad too steep for what is essentially a half budget, half "real" game. I'd snap it up easily at $35.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish there was a Decepticon campaign too

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

notZaar posted:

Yeah same here. 50 bucks seems just a tad too steep for what is essentially a half budget, half "real" game. I'd snap it up easily at $35.

It's not necessarily that, I don't buy ANYTHING unless it's on sale. I like to think I have a modicum of self control. I mean the game looks like I'll have fun with it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Onmi posted:

It's not necessarily that, I don't buy ANYTHING unless it's on sale. I like to think I have a modicum of self control. I mean the game looks like I'll have fun with it.

I'm the same way. I tend to game a few months behind the curve of new releases. Once you get on that kind of schedule it's easy to maintain and you kind of avoid the hype at the same time.

This game looks like my poo poo but it's going to have to wait.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thanks. In an age of "please look online for your manual" being printed on the back of the cover, I keep forgetting to bother looking for them :downs:

I'm most surprised about Firepower being melee, but not like Tech Specs ever make any sense in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I'm considering getting this for the 360 since I don't have any reason to get an xbone or a PS4 at the moment and because from what I can tell, the game plays basically identically on all systems, but someone claimed that they forgot to upload a day 1 patch for the 360 version, any truth to this?

• Locked thread