Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

And what's the best thing to do with them, damage-wise, if you pick them up?

And also, I got to the end.

What is that on the Teletraan screen?\? Is Optimus Prime planning to become a combiner for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Steve Vader posted:

And what's the best thing to do with them, damage-wise, if you pick them up?

And also, I got to the end.

What is that on the Teletraan screen?\? Is Optimus Prime planning to become a combiner for some reason?

Your spoiler has to do with this

And damage wise... Well 'Hit' does not in fact mean hitting the robot, it means using them as a bludgeon. I believe Throw down does damage, but I haven't really experimented.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Sometimes Rodimus joins in too' :q:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
If someone wants to be a sperge and capture the ending screen, they can translate it with this

Oh, you probably rightfully think it's junk. But Transformers loves trolling hardcore fans by having almost all of the language be jokes or properly translatable.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Onmi posted:

Yeah if you knock em prone quickly. Grab a hammer, slightly charge a heavy attack, you'll even smack Blitzwing and Megatron into the dirt. Then hit B/Circle/Interact button and Congrats the enemy is now your helpless bitch.

Like Blitzwing here. Hello Blitzwing.

gently caress. Know what I am doing tonight.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Onmi posted:

If someone wants to be a sperge and capture the ending screen, they can translate it with this

Oh, you probably rightfully think it's junk. But Transformers loves trolling hardcore fans by having almost all of the language be jokes or properly translatable.

I suddenly think 'You get a bunch of glyphs in Warrior/Commander when you hit a vehicle attack: what are they saying, if anything?'.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Getting better at parrying Devastators drills. I do wonder what else you can parry. Can you parry his punches?

EDIT: I cannot SS rank 1-4. It's a simple (?) Mission, there's 4 Insecticons on the walls, kill them quickly. Except maximum points for time/Damage is 400 total, and that's only good enough for an S rank. They have no heads to headshot, I don't know what to do in 30 seconds to rack up what I'm assuming from other missions is 100 points.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 4, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Status, maybe? You can still get points for that even in a supposed shooting gallery. Remind me-are they low enough that Sideswipe can reach and melee them down quickly and earn focus and the like?

Just guessing. The blind leading the blind....

It's kinda funny how high he can go with his dash at times. He can regularly get to the head of a giant like Devastator or Menasor without a vehicle attack helping(Though how high THOSE go is funny in itself-I've seen vehicle attacks reach Devastator's head when he's off-map from his leaping up).

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 4, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bloodly posted:

Status, maybe? You can still get points for that even in a supposed shooting gallery. Remind me-are they low enough that Sideswipe can reach and melee them down quickly and earn focus and the like?

Just guessing. The blind leading the blind....

It's kinda funny how high he can go with his dash at times. He can regularly get to the head of a giant like Devastator or Menasor without a vehicle attack helping(Though how high THOSE go is funny in itself-I've seen vehicle attacks reach Devastator's head when he's off-map from his leaping up).

Status might be an option. I think I have to mix together a super-gun for status inflicting.

Nope. I can't seem to get more than 20 points even using multiple status guns.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 4, 2015

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

I am very dissapointed this game doesn't have a guide like all the other Platinum games. It really deserves it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I was experimenting, you can parry almost all of Devastators attacks, at least the ones I was attacked with.

EDIT: Same as Menasor, you can even parry the lightning strikes. I have yet to get a special QTE from parrying.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 7, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I wanted to play as Kup :( or at least Hot Rod, if I had realistic expectations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I saw someone else SS rank on Prime all of Chapter 1 and I noticed they didn't have to get all SS ranks. I thought "cool, I can just get an S on 1-4" The moment I thought this I got a SS on 1-4. IT was 410 points, so a single parry in under 30 seconds gets the SS with no damage.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y_vpXL5vio

I think either I'm giving up too fast, or there's something I'm missing. I'm looking at the language key, and I'm looking at the screen(helps it's music I'd want to listen to), but half the symbols don't match anything. Can multiple letters together form a single shape, like joined-up handwriting?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bloodly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y_vpXL5vio

I think either I'm giving up too fast, or there's something I'm missing. I'm looking at the language key, and I'm looking at the screen(helps it's music I'd want to listen to), but half the symbols don't match anything. Can multiple letters together form a single shape, like joined-up handwriting?

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cybertronian_languages

Take a look here, it might help. Or it just might make it confusing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So on SS ranking chapters, you may think you have to do the Side Missions, since Wonderful 101 made it clear you had to do the side missions.

You do not have to do the side missions.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Onmi posted:

Yeah if you knock em prone quickly. Grab a hammer, slightly charge a heavy attack, you'll even smack Blitzwing and Megatron into the dirt. Then hit B/Circle/Interact button and Congrats the enemy is now your helpless bitch.

Like Blitzwing here. Hello Blitzwing.

Huh that's awesome. I had no idea what to do with those punt challenges. I was punching Decepticons into the walls but that doesn't seem to count.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Disco De Soto posted:

Huh that's awesome. I had no idea what to do with those punt challenges. I was punching Decepticons into the walls but that doesn't seem to count.

You have to knock them through using Knockback weapons or Vehicle attacks.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

How are you guys getting SS on the timed race challenges? I want to cock punch anyone for putting a race game in this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tommy 2.0 posted:

How are you guys getting SS on the timed race challenges? I want to cock punch anyone for putting a race game in this.

Well for the first one, you actually have to double back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl04TRqK3PY

EDIT: Getting Vehicle speed increase tech's also works. Because you can get Sideswipe up to 400 Speed. But for every other challenge it's just "Hit the timers, go fast."

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Grimlock vs three giant Insecticons. Apparently impossible.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Steve Vader posted:

Grimlock vs three giant Insecticons. Apparently impossible.

No, it's just annoying because Grimlock's controls are so different. Every time you dodge You'll have the grab button flash up, and if you hit it Grimlock will Suplex a motherfucker. When you're in dino mode. hit circle then you can hit Triangle to belly flop.

Also if you've brought Reversal, if when you dodge you hit left trigger, you'll do a ranged reversal where things go slow mo and you John Woo, Get some headshots then and watch the Insecticons crumble. Also, if you have Parry, you can parry literally anything they have, just tilt the stick in the direction the attack is coming at impact to negate it. You can even parry the lightning bolts.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The timing's kinda wonky on dodge-grab. By the time you see the prompt for grab, it's almost too late to do it. Be FAST.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm still having problems not transforming when I'm trying to dodge, so I go 'DODGE HAMMERTIME crap I'm a dinosaur.'

His strength should make up for lack of speed and just hit like a drat train. Or maybe I need to learn how to actually do the moves I bought.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Steve Vader posted:

I'm still having problems not transforming when I'm trying to dodge, so I go 'DODGE HAMMERTIME crap I'm a dinosaur.'

His strength should make up for lack of speed and just hit like a drat train. Or maybe I need to learn how to actually do the moves I bought.

Also known as "Everyones problems when playing as Grimlock"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You just have to remember to not totally smoosh RB when you dodge. This goes for all characters, but doubly so for Grimlock.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I just gave up on grimlock. I ran through challenge 21 about 5-6 times on Prime trying to get him down and he just never clicked.

It isn't like playing as Sam in MGR where it was VERY different playstyle...but some how still intuitive.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yeah I just gave up on grimlock. I ran through challenge 21 about 5-6 times on Prime trying to get him down and he just never clicked.

It isn't like playing as Sam in MGR where it was VERY different playstyle...but some how still intuitive.

My main problem with old Grim is there's never a reason for me to want to be in Dino mode, since his range gets so much shorter and he loses the ability to switch weapons

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Do you have to beat every mission on Commander to unlock the higher difficulties? I only beat the last 3 on commander because I accidentally switched difficulties midway through

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Clear every story stage. Not necessarily every mission in those stages. You can do them in any order.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The games on sale most places for half off, which is eminently reasonable.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Holy carp this game is great.

Can anyone tell me what's happening in Saur's latest video at the 23-second mark? It seems like he's getting the prompt for vehicle attacks four times in short order.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I believe the spin attack can give Vehicle prompts. Also I saw this by Saur and figured it's worth spreading.

Saur posted:

Manman I hear you bro - believe me I do. The title is me failing horribly at an attempt to make a statement about the state of gaming today and what I have become as a player. I wish I was able to articulate my thoughts vocally, but I'm horrible on the mic.

For the longest time I have been complaining bitterly about the state of the gaming medium and how game design has become nothing more than a box ticking exercise. We don't see the variety and raw passion for experimentation we used to enjoy because so many studios seem to be one flop away from going under these days. I feel this is because (on the whole) there are only two types of game on the market today: massive "Triple-A" franchises and indie games which either occupy a niche audience or explode like Minecraft. The middle ground, where typically more risks can be taken in terms of design experimentation, seems to now occupy only a thin sliver of the market.

It is this middle ground, which for me, is the Main Event. It is in this space where I have encountered all the most amazing game designs. Transformers: Devastation is one such game; it doesn't re-invent the wheel but it takes everything the studio is renowned for, remixes it into an extremely tightly focussed system and executes it flawlessly.

However, the main reason I hold this system in such high regard is because of what it has shown me about who I have become as a player. Bayonetta both changed gaming for me, and wrecked it at the same time. It changed gaming for me forever because I had to pick the game into tiny pieces over the course of nearly a year to write the guide for it. I lived inside of that game, I knew every single detail of every attack property, all scoring awards, all gauge behaviours. This level of knowledge actually changed my life as I was soon being employed to work on games - something I have always dreamed of!

This experience also changed me as a player, and I realise now it was for the worse. I am now guilty of the exact same thing I have been complaining about : box ticking. I will HATE game B with a burning passion because it doesn't play like game A. I will have no time whatsoever for genres outside of my comfort zone and nothing to do with any games which don't have cavernously deep mechanics. I won't upload a YouTube video if I make a single error in the run. When I was growing up I used to play ALL kinds of games; if it was a videogame and you put it in front of me - I will play it! I wasn't snobby about mechanics and overly analytical in my approach to playing them, I just used to have a great time because I love videogames.

Now I'm back there - Transformers has reminded me about why I love these games, just the raw essence of it. It's simply the exhilaration of battle! The system is simple, but it's so beautifully executed that the controls disappear and I zone into it far more deeply than I ever have been able to manage in ages! Playing games doesn't feel like work or an assignment any more.

Transformers has not only brought me back to a space I needed to be back in, it does it while occupying a space within the gaming market which barely exists now. It's a perfect representation of the middle ground where games like Devil May Cry should now exist. We don't need the "Triple-A" model when it comes to these games - look where that got Ninja Theory!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I picked this up and it's so much fun. To think that when I first started I was getting my poo poo pushed in by Devastator and then it all clicked... This game is great, such a simple premise and idea but the combat system is just glorious to piss about with.

Also glad Saur loves it, if ever there's a fighting game out I'll see if he's given it the thumbs up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

88h88 posted:

I picked this up and it's so much fun. To think that when I first started I was getting my poo poo pushed in by Devastator and then it all clicked... This game is great, such a simple premise and idea but the combat system is just glorious to piss about with.

Also glad Saur loves it, if ever there's a fighting game out I'll see if he's given it the thumbs up.

When I started the game I didn't understand the dodge button, because pressing it quickly and lightly only made Optimus crouch, rather than dodge. It took until my... third fight for it to be dodge to click in? Then I think it was Commander when I was playing as Grimlock around the second Blitzwing fight that it all slid into place, and from there it was magic.

Which is why it loving annoyed me to see someone call it a grinding menu simulator in the BSS Transformers thread.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It took until the back end of the game but it's all clicked now, I need to vary my combos a bit more but the combo starters and such and the links to basically continue a combo forever are in place. It now becomes a game of 'how long can you keep the combo up?'

Love it. The last battles too were suitably great, I mean it's clear Platinum loves this property.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

Which is why it loving annoyed me to see someone call it a grinding menu simulator in the BSS Transformers thread.

I can't exactly argue this, though, even though I enjoy the game.

You do need a lot of power in your weapons with the higher difficulties, which means dealing with the fiddly as gently caress fusion system.

Which also means getting the weapons to fuse together in the first place. If you're enjoying the combat and/or challenges, it won't hurt much. If you're NOT...it feels like you're beating your head against a wall.

quote:

'how long can you keep the combo up?'

The answer is 'not very'. The enemy breaks whenever possible-which is often, especially as difficulty rises.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The grinding and equipment faffery is kinda annoying, yeah. I'm hesitating to start a Magnus play through just because the first level makes you play as all the Autobots and don't want to be bothered with changing all of their equipment in order for the ones I haven't been using to not take years to kill an enemy

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bloodly posted:

The answer is 'not very'. The enemy breaks whenever possible-which is often, especially as difficulty rises.

You might want to tell that to the people I've seen making these combo videos then as they obviously don't know you're not supposed to be able to do that... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bloodly posted:

This game has combos offsets that are very easy to do. I don't know what the exact requirements for dodge offsetting are but I've been doing it a lot just by dodging in the middle of a combo. So having combos broken shouldn't be that much of a concern once you get good enough.

• Locked thread