Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I think my pettiest complaint so far is that all these electric and bolt "machine guns" seem to work more like close range flamethrowers. Because I am poo poo at dealing with flying enemies unless I have a convenient weapon handy for it also machineguns are cool. I finally got a "Normal" machine gun dropped and am enjoying firing 200 bullets into everything from all distances just because I can.

I've been spoiled by other Platinum games (despite being mediocre at them), but this is still fun. I've answered the question of how to improve Optimus Prime, and that answer is firing rocket punch drills. But I do hope for some notable boss finishes at least, fighting Devastator has less of an impact when they just sort of shrug and leave after.

Also holy poo poo you can buy the whole moves list in the shop so drat fast. I'm garbage at directional parries as ever, but the the damage on the "Hold Heavy then mash it" attack for your alt mode shield breaker is just bonkers.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

notZaar posted:

I don't give 2 wet farts about robot toys but I love Platinum. Does this game have any big setpieces like the higher budget P* games, or is it just core mechanics for the most part?

I'm only in Chapter 4, but It feels like the bots you control were designed for a better game, if that makes any sense?

Maybe there is more spectacle later, but so far every boss fight, including Devastator, ends with them either just falling over or saying "Screw you, I'm leaving." After fighting them in a place basically identical to everywhere else you've been.

But I get to put drill fists on Optimus prime and fire them rocket punch style into someone's robo dick, before shooting everyone with machineguns just because I can.

inthesto posted:

Does anyone else get the sense that more effort was put into Grimlock than anyone else? Not that I'm arguing

I should probably use him, I've used everyone else at least once after getting the option to choose. Wheeljack's Vehicle attacks are simple yet satisfying because instead ramming things he pops out machineguns 90% of the time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

inthesto posted:

Jesus christ I'm stuck on 6-10 and I don't see any feasible way to do this :psyduck:

Have you considered using items? Despite having just beat it I don't remember specifically which fight 6-10 was but I'd expect you probably have a full inventory of five 50% health heals and one 100% health heal.

If it's one of those fights where energy spheres are being spammed, the fact I had a machinegun helped clear those out for some breathing room (as did ammo refill items).

Of course I was also playing on normal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

inthesto posted:

Actually, I was on 7-10 Devastator and Menasor tag team and yeah I always forget that items exist in Platinum games. The fight was doable with them

And then it turns out that was functionally the final boss and the other two fights after that is just your victory lap

A leveled up to 7 Steel Hammer probably went a ways to making that easier for me, too. It also helps that this is probably the only Platinum game I've played where I can successfully continue my combos after a dodge. (and one of the few items I successfully nailed the peak crafting for Tech had a +dodge amount, for extra crutch value).

I am baffled at the pricing of weapons in the item shot. Why the hell are level 3 weapons like, 60,000? Meanwhile I blew through the moves list purchases by the end of Chapter 2 which was so bizarre but also a nice change of pace.

PS: Love and cherish your missile launcher.

EDIT: Does anybody know what the hell all the various tech specs do? Like, what the hell do courage and rank do? Also does anybody know what buttons you push to back out to the main menu while in the middle of a chapter that isn't just outright closing the game?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 8, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thanks. In an age of "please look online for your manual" being printed on the back of the cover, I keep forgetting to bother looking for them :downs:

I'm most surprised about Firepower being melee, but not like Tech Specs ever make any sense in the first place.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, Menasor would have curb stomped me if the game didn't give me a bunch of those auto use revive items. Is there any way of turning those off btw, other just selling them?

Not to my knowledge. Though they won't effect your ranking at least... Directly, getting your face smashed in enough for the revive item to activate means your damage taken score is already gonna be low...

Granted, that particular boss gave me SS rank despite shoveling every small heal in my inventory into Optimus's faceplate. Maybe it liked the fact I unloaded 200+ machinegun bullets into his crotch?

On that note, If you are ever feeling unsatisfied by the guns in this game because of their low ammo counts, hold onto the first Normal machinegun you can find. The electrica/bolts machineguns seem to work more like close range flamethrowers. But the sheer ammo capacity of the normal machinegun makes you feel like a badass after having 10 or less shots from a fancy boss names pistol gets you down.

It's also great for sweeping away energy sphere attacks safely.

EDIT: vvv Well, I did get lucky and craft a +1 dodge count tech. And my Devastator Drill hands came with +focus time. So that definitely helped me spam the hell out of that more easily. I also loved using the "Hold Hard attack after a vehicle shield breaker to button mash them to death, THEN vehicle attack" as much as I could get away with. That's no joke the strongest attack in the game that isn't an ultimate.

I'd have used Sideswipe more just for his vehicle speed if his ultimate wasn't a hassle or needing to actually AIM and pick your targets, compared to Optimus "I made everyone in a mile radius explode" prime.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 10, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

I vaguely wonder whether the hammer's gonna see any use. It's so slow to swing.

I understand that feeling, yeah. I used the DRILL HANDS 90% of the time, but I did keep a hammer around because on things you could get away with hitting more than once between dodges (even during focus) it's a goddamned monster.

Made even more entertaining when it's a boss that can practically be perma stunned by it. A hammer and a missile launcher turns Soundwave into a goddamned slaughter :allears:

I sure as hell did a better job with it in this game than Bayo 2. This is literally the only platinum game where I can actually continue my combos after a dodge, I just eternally gently caress it up in the rest. So the fact I could actually do more than my first attack in a combo chain forever is part of why I held onto the thing (upgrading my Steel Hammer to level 8 also helped :v:)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 11, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

inthesto posted:

Is there a reason why I'm not getting a QTE finish on the second to last fight? The one against Megatron that's not in space

Did you murder him with a hammer before he could finish all his dialogue? Because that's what I did.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Onmi posted:

What does the green shield mean on the map? What weapon do you need for that one beacon in Chapter 1? How do you break the in-air vehicle chests? Oh wait the red energon cubes.

If it is what I think it is, that's the green autobot symbol letting you know that's a spot you can go into the Ark.

You can visit those whenever you want, and it will deposit any weapons pickups you had found at the time into your inventory too mid mission.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Use Sideswiper for everything. He's fast, hits hard, he's fast, he can chain vehicle attacks together, he's fast, and he's great. He's really great, I think he's my favorite. Plus he says the word "retort" a lot and that pleases me.

Aside from "Well, I wanna use Optimus (and giant hammers)", the main reason I didn't use Sideswipe was because his Ultimate isn't as good at lazily murdering everything in a mile radius even if it's in the air. No, gotta stop and take time to aim missiles come on just takes some tips from bumblebee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

Advice on range weapons? The game likes to pull shooting galleries, and now(Magnus) my weapons aren't up to snuff. I'm unsure what to do.

Normal Machine gun. Elemental/Bolt machineguns seem to work like short range flamethrowers. But a plain old Vanilla Machinegun works like a machinegun.

It's also a nice utility weapon. When bosses fire those annoying energy orbs at you, you have 200 bullets to clear them away if you want (you know, between fighting the auto aim assist if you left that on). Plus they do pretty reasonable damage if you just unload on someone.

I mean, I'm sure handguns and sniper rifles would be better for careful shots but you get way less ammo for those.

I didn't go chasing after side missions but Plain Machine Gun + Missile Launcher was basically QoL in gun form compared to the other guns for me. MG has plenty of ammo and long range, Missile Launchers let me just pull the trigger and watch a flying enemy die (Get hosed, Laserbeak).

• Locked thread