Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow this game really rocks. I wasn't sure what to expect, honestly, and after Korra I ind of anticipated something clunkier and in that style. Instead, this game is lightning fast, smooth and kinetic and the combat starts out great and gets better. There's something wildly joyful about chaining Transform attacks together and smashing up loving robots. The Construcicons in particular are surprisingly imaginative enemies, and I like the simplicity in the variety they provide. The game is fluid in swapping between melee and ranged combat, and everything feels very fast.

It's like somebody married Bayonetta and Vanquish and I have never been happier. I have only beaten the first level, but I am expecting great things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

Optimus's special ability breaks shields.

Yeah, shields are trivial before OP.

So I'll temper my enthusiasim--this game definitely seems to have had a smaller budget than it initially seems. There's basically only three levels, although I'm kind of intrigued by how they approached the limited space. This is the first Platinum game that feels like it has a hub of some sort--you return to the city streets multiple times, but often just so you can go to another location that's opened up. The streets don't seem to change much so you get opportunities to get collectibles you missed, I guess, or maybe they remix those too. Either way, it reminds me VERY slightly of the first Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, where you had the capital of Vigoor which was this hub that connected the game together. I'd like to see that concept fleshed out a bit more if they do this again, perhaps with more character-exclusive content in the main area: Grimlock could have had unique side missions that utilize his unique movesets or you could have had bonus duels tucked away some place.

As it stands, I rented the game and after one night of play I think I'm on Chapter 7 or 8 and I feel very near the end. While the levels are kind of whatever, the boss fights are stellar. They lack that sense of sheer size that most Platinum games pull off, but the one-on-one duels with the Decepticons are great. I really liked the Shockwave fight in particular, but Starscream has the coolest battle yet in that weird space corridor, that was a lot of fun. Fighting Starscream may be worth the price of admission, honestly.

This isn't a game that should cost 60 bucks though, but if it retailed for $40 I'd say that's a very fair price for a VERY fun combat engine.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Percent-wise. how far in is Soundwave?

In the story quest? You briefly fight him in the second level, but he's the main boss of the third-to-last stage I think?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Huh, so that was the end? I thought I was going to have to fight Nova Prime since they kept mentioning how he'd become corrupted by a mysterious evil force.

Oh well, I got an S rank on the final fight and I loving ROCKED that poo poo. I loving love this game and am sad to return it to the rental box tomorrow, but I at least beat it and I'll buy it as soon as it goes on sale. It's such a loving blast to play, this is easily one of the funnest battle systems Platinum has made, and surprisingly accessible. I like that I can do tricks and poo poo to boost my combo, so even if I get hit, I can still get SS rankings by doing sweet moves and being an awesome robot.

EDIT: I used Sidewinder for most of it, he's definitely my speed. Bumblebee was tiny and useless but I assume he has a trick that makes him good.

EDIT: Also, I think that Peter Cullen's voice acting is probably the only reason anyone still gives a poo poo about Transformers, because he really does make Optimus just sound like the wisest, nicest, bestest grandpa ever.

EDIT EDIT: I want to play as Starscream.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 16, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Onmi posted:

The bridge in chapter 4. It's not beating it, it's doing it for the SS Rank that's grinding me, Well... Less so now that I've decided to stop using Grimlock for it. But seriously the jets flying everywhere drive me nuts, I came so close to no damaging (and probably getting a 0 for time) and one Seeker off screen

Use Sideswiper for everything. He's fast, hits hard, he's fast, he can chain vehicle attacks together, he's fast, and he's great. He's really great, I think he's my favorite. Plus he says the word "retort" a lot and that pleases me.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Disco De Soto posted:

I started playing as Optimus but he's so good he's kinda like cheat mode. But yeah Sideswipe is awesome - so fast and so much fun. And his ultimate is badass. What does his special do?

Holy poo poo Starscreams intro was cool. The music is hilarious.

Starscream is legit the coolest boss battle in the game, the second time you fight him.

The music in this game is quite excellent. There's a big boss near the end that has a very epic choir accompanying him, which lent the fight an air of gravitas I think not generally associated with the car robot cartoon smashing.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bloodly posted:

More like Transformers: Revengence, if that makes sense to you.

can the sequel be called this

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
gently caress all of you if you don't think Platinum should be making the next Power Rangers game. Mighty Morphin' era of course.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

notZaar posted:

There's no reason to make a Power Rangers game because Wonderful 101 exists.

Oh yeah, nevermind.

Platinum can do TMNT then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
DLC feels more likely than a sequel. I can't imagine this game sold well, but DLC would probably turn more of a profit so long as it didn't add TOO many new assets.

Of course, if the loving game sold well, then I'd want something real fleshed out.

• Locked thread