Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As far as your produce rant, I'll mostly agree though that changes if one particular ingredient actually dominates the dish flavor or texture-wise. Personally I'm picky on how veggies look, but I tend to eat them raw and if something's a bit wilted that can really throw off the texture. If you cook a bag of kale rather than eating it like popcorn, it doesn't matter if some bits were a little squishy in the bag. And I'm not gonna bug the staff about it either; if I decide to give myself extra difficulties, I'm not gonna pass them off on other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, I'm gonna apologize cause my lp video shouldn't be an outlet for my personal life. Though let me say it was really cathartic letting it all out like that.

So I understand not wanting something wrinkly, browning, what have you. But when you got a perfectly fine jalapeno and want me to just go in the back to pull yet another perfectly fine jalapeno cause its fresher, thats my problem. There is zero difference between a perfectly serviceable item on the shelves and an item from the back :shepface:

E: To put on a more extreme example of high standards of "freshness", people who will see me put bananas on the table, there is a bunch of empty banana boxes around me, and yet they'll only snatch the ones I just put down (if not just walk over, get in my way and dig through the box I'm currently working on or snatching it directly from my hands) cause those are the fresher ones and the nearly 480 pounds of bananas that were in the empty boxes are all right in the single spot in front of me.

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 2, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Leal posted:

So I understand not wanting something wrinkly, browning, what have you. But when you got a perfectly fine jalapeno and want me to just go in the back to pull yet another perfectly fine jalapeno cause its fresher, thats my problem. There is zero difference between a perfectly serviceable item on the shelves and an item from the back :shepface:

Agreed. There's a large difference in some foods between store bought and fresh-picked (beans are the ones I've most noticed, they have a savory meaty flavor that fades in a day or two) but by the time it hits the store that's not a factor anymore.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Most people don't consider the fact that most "fresh" produce has already spent the better part of a week in reefer freight.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 38 :siren:

Sorry for the delay, I hope the fanservice at the end of the video makes up for it. Future videos are gonna be prettier :3:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ManSedan posted:

Most people don't consider the fact that most "fresh" produce has already spent the better part of a week in reefer freight.

I like Foster Farms poultry, but I can't help but giggle at their "always fresh, never frozen" branding when the package still has ice crystals on it because the supermarket's not going to have a separate meat storage for the things.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm glad to see Secret Theater making a comeback.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I didn't really pay any attention to the development of MGSV. All of the explanations for the mysteries the game teased us with in the first half being in cassettes in the second half is because development ended up being rushed for whatever reason, right? There's no way this is intentional.

At least they had time to be super creepy about Quiet.

EDIT: Code Talker and his love of burgers is the best and most MGS thing in the game so far.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 13, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sindai posted:

I didn't really pay any attention to the development of MGSV. All of the explanations for the mysteries the game teased us with in the first half being in cassettes in the second half is because development ended up being rushed for whatever reason, right? There's no way this is intentional.

At least they had time to be super creepy about Quiet.

EDIT: Code Talker and his love of burgers is the best and most MGS thing in the game so far.

Yeah, the second half of the game was rushed. Supposedly an entirely third area was cut. And yes, burger talk is the best. Speaking of!

:siren:Chapter 39 :siren:

Also going to do some self promotion here, I posted a bit in the casual LP thread of an Arma 3 scenario I've been playing! We play as guerrillas trying to liberate the island of Cyprus Altis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i724xApYSOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jdYAkuWLnw

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Bah humbug christmas

:siren: Chapter 40 :siren:

Today we finish off the Paz storyline and do the Quiet boss fight in extreme mode. And man gently caress that fight :mad:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If she breathes through her skin, shouldn't being covered in water drown her?

And was the magic parasite eye shadow ever explained?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
We haven't heard anything talking about the eye mask...thing so far. It seems like its when Quiet activates her eye powers, though it doesn't happen during gameplay but that may just be a gameplay and story segregation thing.

As for the water thing, she drinks through her skin. I guess the parasites gave her some amazing lungs to be able to constantly drink for so long without needing a break to breathe. Also fanservice

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Leal posted:

We haven't heard anything talking about the eye mask...thing so far. It seems like its when Quiet activates her eye powers, though it doesn't happen during gameplay but that may just be a gameplay and story segregation thing.
Code Talker also had the weird magic eyeliner appear in a few cutscenes so it seems to be consistent with them using the parasites to get super powers like his super-hearing or any of Quiet's abilities.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I don't get the Paz thing but it might also be because I really hate Paz's character :v:

If it ends up being a "this was in Snake's head all along thing" I am going to be really lovely

I made this post half way through the tapes, I am now really lovely

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What was even the point of Paz in this game, if she's just in Snake's head? To remind you of how far MSF has fallen since '74? We already know that! Big Boss has a horn, a tail (sorta), and a metal arm! Miller has lost two limbs and his joie de vivre! Everyone's sterile now because of parasites! Adding nostalgic cheesecake won't improve our understanding.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I have a problem with that last cutscenes and it's not Quiet being a weird sex object. She's walking barefoot and rolling around in what is clearly naval non-skid, and that poo poo is NOT designed for skin contact. She should be a bloody mess by the end.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

She has evolved beyond the need for shoes. With her PARASITES.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

ManSedan posted:

I have a problem with that last cutscenes and it's not Quiet being a weird sex object. She's walking barefoot and rolling around in what is clearly naval non-skid, and that poo poo is NOT designed for skin contact. She should be a bloody mess by the end.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Spudd posted:

I made this post half way through the tapes, I am now really lovely

Yeah, that was just a long fart of a story line that, as it turns out, was more than just gas.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 41 :siren:

Today's mission is taking out a vehicle convoy. Guest appearances by some family members. Audio is going to be a bit off as this room is echo-y as hell and I've had to boost the audio so my brother and I could be heard.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I'm imagining a bunch of confused Snake faces to go with the complete silence in reaction to the plot summary.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 42 :siren:

Today we do the extreme version of Metallic Archaea which... isn't really different at all from the normal version :shrug:. We also get a ton of plot with cassette tapes.

Fish Noise posted:

I'm imagining a bunch of confused Snake faces to go with the complete silence in reaction to the plot summary.

This was pretty much what my step dad did before leaving the room.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Wow the explanation of XOF is super duper dumb.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ManSedan posted:

Wow the explanation of XOF is super duper dumb.

you'll regret your words

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
XOF is such a dumb name.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah the XOF thing just kinda popping up as "it was always there" is as silly as in MGS4 and Snake knowing CQC all along, he just didn't feel like using it in MGS2. I mean I know it wasn't something programmed in time for MGS2, but that explanation is just silly. Also naming them XOF is a pretty low effort naming scheme. We got this group who is the opposite of the protagonist, what should we call them? Wait, how about we reverse the name?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Lunethex posted:

you'll regret your words

But... what about my deeds?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And its late but eh, here have an update!

:siren: Chapter 43 :siren:

Tonight's mission we... well... we... :smithcloud:

Staff member has died :smith:

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 29, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That was really intense. In all the best ways.

And we have reached the final scene from the launch trailer: Snake turning the ashes of his dead men into diamonds. Somehow, he found an additional deep end beyond the one he has already gone off.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That was really intense. In all the best ways.

And we have reached the final scene from the launch trailer: Snake turning the ashes of his dead men into diamonds. Somehow, he found an additional deep end beyond the one he has already gone off.

Hey, you'll never reach the bottom so long as you keep on digging!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He keeps reaching for the bottom until he gets killed by his son.

Several times.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That would be a really amazing mission if the game had you interact more with these guys before now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, like I said in the video it would of made a significantly bigger impact if we interacted more with MB members. Like I guess you can blame me for not showing off MB itself often but really there is just.. not much to do. Soldiers salute and say some canned phrase, you can punch them and they thank you for it. And they're not really in many cutscenes either.

Don't get me wrong, killing your own men is horrifying in itself. Doubly so when they beg you to not do it/to do it. If I may use some other games as an example, the end of Watch_Dogs has a moral choice. For a character you basically never see between the start and the end. How am I supposed to have any remorse or strong feelings about this? I've never interacted with the guy outside of a cutscene at the start of the game. I make fun of the Battlefield series cause they introduce NPCs then kill them off in the same mission and play some sappy music to indicated "You may feel sad now". I have zero connections to these guys, I'm not feeling it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Cod: Infinite Warfare does it pretty well. You get field promoted to captain shortly after the game starts and spend most of your time between missions getting more familiar with your inherited crew either through interaction or through audio logs that come through your officer's terminal, and being dressed down by more experienced officers about the occasional necessity of ordering someone to their death. So when the hardass marine sergeant that's gradually warmed up to you over the course of the game dies, you feel some guilt over the necessity of it. Then the last mission happens, and they start killing off named NPCs like it's going out of style to grease the gears of your war machine in one last ditch effort to save Earth, by the end of the game there are 4 surviving crew members from your crew of eight hundred, and you are not counted among their number. The end credits scroll over the messages all the (named)dead left for their next of kin.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 30, 2017

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I must've missed it but when did they start letting Huey walk around free? I would've put two in his head ages ago.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Huey is just loving wretched.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe they figured he can't harm them more than he already has? But I would confine him to the wheelchair from Peace Walker, and lock him out of the lab. Slap on the wrist, type of thing.

Oh, and make him burn every single anime poster he owns.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Remove his tongue.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, they explicitly said Huey would be kept under lock and key explicitly because other Diamond Dogs members will want to murder him. Then he decides to crash Big Boss's birthday and now all of a sudden he is struting around Mother Base putting up Paz magic idol girl anime posters everywhere. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a tape that explains why Huey is making public appearances now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also.

Isn't Huey responsible for the mutation? Making the fact that he's condemning big boss for killing people ludicrously hypocritical? Not to mention the fact that why the gently caress is he on the com's during a lockdown anyway?

• Locked thread