Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Da_Higg posted:

It always bugs me in games like this is characters have no common sense; if the fireman is immune to all the bullets, stop shooting bullets at it...

To be fair, those guys were attacking a hospital, so they were likely not in a mindset of having to face serious resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

I'm just trying to imagine how on God's earth you hit anything that way and also don't jam the gun. Doesn't holding them sideways mess with the feed?

Because guns are fed by magazines with springs in them, thus not being "gravity-fed" which means you could shoot a gun upside-down and barely have an issue.

Atomikus posted:

Ejection. Handguns are usually not made to eject upwards and as such don't always get enough force to get the spent casing out before trying to feed a new cartridge. However, the Scorpion (the submachine gun the gasmask soldiers were wielding) ejects out the top from the start, just like the Broomhandle; tilting it makes it eject to the side which it can do with ease.

This depends on the gun and how it handles ejection. Since lots of handguns have an extractor, which catches the lip of a bullet casing to pull it out as it travels backwards from recoil, you don't have to worry about what position the gun is angled in. I've shot a 1911 that liked to eject bullets up and backwards, a Walther P1 that ejects far to the right (and up), and my Luger that loves ejecting straight up. Similarly, my Garand ejects diagonally up and right, my MG-34 is straight down, etc.

Atomikus posted:

Derp. Yes, that's an SA.23 which ejects from the right side. It might have issues ejecting if held sideways. Don't know how I could've made that mistake.

Unless it has an inherent issue with its design, a faulty extractor or some other issue, it shouldn't have any issues ejecting bullets.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

To be fair, those guys were attacking a hospital, so they were likely not in a mindset of having to face serious resistance.

From the looks of each, neither of the three or so groups of soldiers that encountered "Jonathan "I am rubber and you are glue" Storm" survived long enough to inform the rest that he was particularly immune to bullets and conventional explosives. Everyone was going into the fight fresh and unaware, other than that someone had started a really big fire at some point. The one person to be able to reasonably react to that guy was the person in the APC, who thought that running him over would be a good idea. It wasn't.

RickVoid posted:

In regards to someone's kinda question about if Psycho Mantis was a boy or girl, I don't think that's ever been a thing that has been specifically stated.

I was just applying a a Tumblr-equse "fan name" to the Psycho Mantis look-alike. The frizzy red hair(?) makes me think they're a girl. Then again, it could well be possible they are the same gas-mask clad psychic Solid Snake meets in the first game, just 25~ years younger. I had just assumed that there was more than one psychic in the MGS universe that liked gas-masks.

So, in the "Ishmael was an illusion" camp, how did that ambulance drive to hit Johnny Storm into the wall? Unless we're to think that a hella lot of that intro was something of an illusion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Let's also be fair: If you've got a balaclava or a gas mask on in an MGS game, you are at best inept comic relief and at worst exist to make the main character's base competence at 'sit behind bush' or 'aim gun at man' look amazing by contrast.

I mean, the same could be said of the generic thugs and mooks in any action film, so it's not really unique to here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I really need to find out the plots of Peace Walker and Portable Ops. All I know is that there's some jerk named Hot Coldman who had a really stupid plan for nuclear deterrence.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I really need to find out the plots of Peace Walker and Portable Ops. All I know is that there's some jerk named Hot Coldman who had a really stupid plan for nuclear deterrence.

In Portable Ops, some jerk named Gene used a fuckload of money to try and build his own nation for disenchanted soldiers by taking over and subverting a Soviet Army base and threatening to launch a Metal Gear that was also a MIRV launch platform which was put into space via an ICBM. Big Boss builds an army, develops some relatively sensible stuff, and kicks Gene's rear end.

In Peace Walker, Big Boss and his own private army are hired to deal with a CIA jerk named Hot Coldman who wanted to use an AI based on The Boss from MGS3 to fool the US and Soviet governments into nuclear war to prove that deterrence and MAD were pipe dreams. Big Boss builds crazy stuff ranging from Carl Gustav rocket launchers that fired Fulton canisters to an entire line of curry and instant noodle/rice products, Fultons everything, fights AIs and tears out their delicious brain data, turns a former drilling rig into a giant sea-borne complex with its own motherfucking airport, hunts monsters on a mysterious island thanks to the directions of a bipedal cat-thing, builds his own Metal Gear, recruits Hideo Kojima, and finds out that Major Zero has created Cipher, which preceded the Patriots that Solid Snake and friends had to take down.

And then everything goes to poo poo.

In summary: Whatever ludicrous situations Solid Snake got involved in, they paled in comparison to the complete and utter insanity that Big Boss experienced.

Gideon020 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 27, 2015

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

Gideon020 posted:

In summary: Whatever ludicrous situations Solid Snake got involved in, they paled in comparison to the complete and utter insanity that Big Boss experienced.

The real legacy of Big Boss: Dealing with crazy nonsense so the future could deal with slightly less crazy nonsense

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HotColdman's plan stands among the absolute stupidest of all evil plans of all time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Night10194 posted:

HotColdman's plan stands among the absolute stupidest of all evil plans of all time.

Is it stupider than building a bipedal nuke-launcher assuming it'll be used as a deterrent?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Bruceski posted:

Is it stupider than building a bipedal nuke-launcher assuming it'll be used as a deterrent?

A stealthy bipedal nuke launcher!

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
His plan was to trick the US into thinking that they were under nuclear attack just to test hit theory that mankind doesn't have the guts to return fire, thereby justifying the AI controlled stealthy bipedal nuke launcher...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bruceski posted:

As Da_Higgs said, the specific plan to cause a major nuclear incident really takes it over the top of the usual Metal Gear Nuclear Deterrence Move.

Also, has anyone ever told Hideo Kojima what a nuclear submarine is? Because they do a Metal Gear's job and better.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Until they can walk on land and scream like a loving dinosaur, they're not doing their job.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isn't it canon that Metal Gear mostly exists as it does because Otacon is the kind of guy that names himself after an anime convention? :allears:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Also, has anyone ever told Hideo Kojima what a nuclear submarine is? Because they do a Metal Gear's job and better.

Yes but they're not as cool.

Although RAY sort of combines the two together I guess

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

Yes but they're not as cool.

Although RAY sort of combines the two together I guess

RAY is an anti-metal gear and it does not carry nukes :colbert:.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Is it just me or has the Johnny Storm wannabe an uncanny resemblance to ol' Colonel Volgin from MGS3? The stature, the gait, some of the moves and that "bandolier" of bullet casings embedded into him etc. all look eerily like Volgin during his bossfight.

LashLightning posted:

From the looks of each, neither of the three or so groups of soldiers that encountered "Jonathan "I am rubber and you are glue" Storm" survived long enough to inform the rest that he was particularly immune to bullets and conventional explosives. Everyone was going into the fight fresh and unaware, other than that someone had started a really big fire at some point. The one person to be able to reasonably react to that guy was the person in the APC, who thought that running him over would be a good idea. It wasn't.

That APC driver had balls of steel.

"So hey, whatever this is, it just ate two cannon shells without giving a gently caress and then nearly slammed my ride into the ceiling. Welp, ramming speed! :black101:"

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Magni posted:

Is it just me or has the Johnny Storm wannabe an uncanny resemblance to ol' Colonel Volgin from MGS3? The stature, the gait, some of the moves and that "bandolier" of bullet casings embedded into him etc. all look eerily like Volgin during his bossfight.

"So hey, whatever this is, it just ate two cannon shells without giving a gently caress and then nearly slammed my ride into the ceiling. Welp, ramming speed! :black101:"

To be fair, ramming at least seemed to have an effect on the thing, unlike any sort of fired weapon.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Magni posted:

Thought it was just me, but yeah, kinda felt that way too.

Tommy_Blanco
Oct 29, 2011

Magni posted:

We won't know for sure unless he shows an aversion to frogs.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Haha, the little interlude scene when they're on the ship and Snake is loading up a revolver with his hook arm is a shot by shot copy of a scene from the 1977 movie Rolling Thunder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd4dW6sbplA

(you can see it, very briefly, in this trailer)

It's a pretty drat good movie, too

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This game needed to be full of film trivia like Snake Eater was.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Night10194 posted:

Isn't it canon that Metal Gear mostly exists as it does because Otacon is the kind of guy that names himself after an anime convention? :allears:

it used to be back in 1998 when the previous metal gear games had it be a crappy thing that explode by throwing grenades at its legs, so rex being made of super indestructible Future Metal OUTSIDE of the very critical radar dish that lets you use it without just firing randomly was a funny gag about how otacon is detached from reality due to watching too many japanese cartoons

but MGS is a series thats basically a snake eating its own tail, fittingly enough, (only the head is sweeping retcons and the tail is whatever happened in the last game) so now it just looks like that because otacons dad made a similar but way way more technologically advanced robot in the 70s based on the design of a drunk russian guy back in the 60s, complete with blatant weakpoint radar dish because gently caress you that's just how giant nuke shooting robots are made

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Gideon020 posted:

In Peace Walker, Big Boss and his own private army are hired to deal with a CIA jerk named Hot Coldman who wanted to use an AI based on The Boss from MGS3 to fool the US and Soviet governments into nuclear war to prove that deterrence and MAD were pipe dreams.

Wait wait wait. I admit I don't have a big Metal Gear background and I admit that Weird, Dumb poo poo seems to be a series hallmark, but did they really name the big bad of a game Hot Coldman? Even if that's a codename good god that's a stupid name.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Tempest_56 posted:

Wait wait wait. I admit I don't have a big Metal Gear background and I admit that Weird, Dumb poo poo seems to be a series hallmark, but did they really name the big bad of a game Hot Coldman? Even if that's a codename good god that's a stupid name.
Why yes, yes they did. Peace Walker also gave us a character named "Pacifica Ocean".

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Not to mention Master McDonnald Benedict Kazuhira 'Kaz' Contessa Louisa Francesca Banana Fanna Bo Besca Millar the Third.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Tempest_56 posted:

I seem to remember his parents being proto-hippies or something. Also seriously the hero and villain of MGSV are BIG BOSS and SKULL FACE, what do you want

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I hope SHOOT GUNNER shows up at some point.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Does anyone know which chronological game started with the ADJECTIVE ANIMAL names? We're they already around in Peace Walker or not?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MGS3. Remember, Naked Snake follows that pattern too!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Does anyone know which chronological game started with the ADJECTIVE ANIMAL names? We're they already around in Peace Walker or not?

Portable Ops is the first time you see generic soldiers getting those names I think? I mean aside from the main characters(Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, Gray Fox, Revolver Ocelot, everyone in FOXHOUND, Naked Snake, the B&B unit, ect.)

Five
Jan 6, 2009

MGS1 had Revolver Ocelot, Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Diarrhoetic Johnny is my favorite, and don't forget his son - Incontinent Johnny.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Five posted:

MGS1 had Revolver Ocelot, Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf...

Chronological in-universe, not by release order.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Son Ryo posted:

Chronological in-universe, not by release order.

In-universe, MGS3 was, with NAKED SNAKE.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Not an answer to your question but legend has it Kojima did this in MGS1 because he was a fan of the Mega Man X games.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I have no exposure what-so-ever to the metal gear series besides the demo disc that came with "Zone of the Enders" (Which was awesome, Both ZOE and MGS). I intend to watch this whole LP cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuQ3taVNLj4&t=16s

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 2, 2015

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
I've been playing this for a while now. I'd probably be further along the story if I didn't keep compulsively Fultoning everything that's not nailed down beyond my ability to pry loose.

Big Boss: Legendary soldier, infiltration expert, complete and utter kleptomaniac.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

kaosdrachen posted:

I've been playing this for a while now. I'd probably be further along the story if I didn't keep compulsively Fultoning everything that's not nailed down beyond my ability to pry loose.

Big Boss: Legendary soldier, infiltration expert, complete and utter kleptomaniac.

You're playing the game right, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Sel Nar posted:

You're playing the game right, then.

Glad to hear it.

... Also, turns out it is possible to Fulton a moving vehicle drivers and all. It just needs very good timing.

• Locked thread