Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Asiina posted:

You don't know when someone changed and what that change did to them, so it makes things very difficult. A specific example I can only sorta remember is Ernie being town and changing to scum, but I could not believe that scum Ernie would behave a certain way D1 and D2, and I was right, since he wasn't scum then.

That was Secret Invasion! Scum got to flip a townie instead of the nk every other night. It kinda made the game unwinnable for town.

Ernie was a public daycop who had outed a scum, so he was very strongly confirmed as town, and him getting flipped to scum was really unfair. He became an insane public daycop when flipped. :v:

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Asiina posted:

That may just bring suspicion onto a player where there was none before, which isn't fair to the team doing the alignment changing.

Although, unintentional,. I did sorta like the public cult that PMom and ANarc had Pummeling in Pimonia. I think it wasn't great in that game since it was a pro-town cult and the scum team got a little screwed, but having something like a public unkillable cult recruiter in the game might be an interesting mechanic, and then it's a race against time for town. Having no scum team but the recruit as an alternative to the nightkill would be interesting since the only deaths would be from lynches.

There were like 8 scum in that 20ish player game, 5 scum and 3 in a second anti-cult faction. I don't think the setup was skewed in favour of the cult, especially given that, unbeknownst to us, if we tried to recruit scum three times the entire cult died.

I loved that game and I think it was a successful alignment-change setup.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

I think that was Misery in Madriu actually. The main reason it turned into a hard situation for the scum though was the cult faction accidentally fullclaiming day 1 and the town accepting them wholeheartedly. I never anticipated that when designing the setup.

Oh and also scum never tried to nk us until like N4, and by that time it was too late.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Asiina posted:

You were part of the original cult and had full control of that mechanic though,

We didn't! The cult recruit power was just called "empower", we didn't know it was a recruitment power until we finally recruited someone successfully on N3. It failed N1 and N2 and we were just told "unable to empower because not town".

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

Iliad mafia imo

please, i'm a #millenial

the only pantheon i care about is the wicdiv one

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

hey let's keep the more off-topic chat in the other thread.

Is talking about potential flavours for games not kosher.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kashuno posted:

This came up in a recent game, and I'm kinda curious about the thought behind it as no one seemed to feel it was weird but me. What is the point of claiming, but not full claiming, in some contexts? We had a player claim they knew, undoubtedly, that a player was scum but they would not reveal their actual role. Claiming you know someone will for sure flip scum seems like a great way to get yourself targeted for the NK, so why not fullclaim then and there?

Please don't discuss ongoing games, especially one that you're alive in~

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Something I've been thinking lately is the always execute every day rule.

I know the math on it, but that doesn't take into account the actual reads you have on people. There's been a few times where I've been in games close to the deadline and people only have a few viable picks for votes and people vote somebody that don't really think is scum but instead vote because there needs to be an execution. This creates a really easy situation for scum to vote without responsibility. Additionally, if your read was worth a drat in the first place you're down a town you wouldn't be if you didn't just shrug and vote with the crowd.

What are the thoughts on this?

you have, say, 13 players

seven votes to dunk

five players vote for, say, fan favourite capps. The remaining players don't agree with the case and no dunk.

capps isn't nked, obviously. someone innocuous is that won't reveal much about voting patterns. so you start the next day without knowing capps' alignment, five people still think he's scum, and you have no more information to be able to discern peoples' motivations for voting to dunk.

never no dunk.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Does the town in a scum-town pair win if their scumbuddy wins at the end? What happens on the final day when there are 4 players left and someone has to vote to kill their lover?

How does the math work?
16 player game, 12 players at the beginning of D2, 8 on D3, 4 on D4?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hm