Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Look Under The Rock posted:

Seems like back in the day every game had at least two mods, why did this change?

Reading old games, I assumed this was so people could share the burden of manual vote tracking responsibilities pre-votefinder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
People typically sign up once there's a thread - I know when I read your post yesterday, I only saw the bit about signing up to judge and not to play. Maybe that's what's happening?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I would play another small newbie game.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's a temple game?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Eight Dollars posted:

It's basically what you're imagining with people creating rules and zones and throwing balls and voting.

It eventually lead to whaling voyages, diplomatic ties, detective novels, shop deals, bone zones, Cthulu worship and a final Phoenix Wright-style trial with a twist at the end I can't spoil.

Ok NOW you have to post a link because :drat:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Podima, you should totally be a replacement for my game. Also you should offer to be a replacement for the soldiers game. Unless you're already one of those evil Trojans.

I already had to replace out of LM's game just last week because work went bonkers, and I'm not going to sign up/replace into any other games until I know I can dedicate the time to them without having to punk out again. :shobon: But thank you for the invite!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SirSamVimes posted:

The setup Lumpen used for slack mafia 2 was solid and fun. I think he posted it earlier in the thread and called it the nailbiter.

Yeah, I think if/when I get around to trying my hand at running Mafia I might give that one a try. It seemed nifty!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpen posted:

The Nailbiter™

Couple of setup questions because I'm still trying to better understand Mafia Mechanics:

• The Roleblocker can only affect targeted powers. This means that roleblocking the Bulletproof Miller would have no effect?
  • When notifying the Miller that their 1-shot BP is expended, is it in a similarly simple format of "Your BP has been expended" with no further details?
  • If the SK attempts to target the BP Godfather or BP Miller, would their kill fail?

This is a pretty interesting setup, I'm gonna try to follow along this time as a spectator and see how it plays out.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpen posted:

You should play!

Thanks! This is a neat setup - with your permission, I'd like to reuse it for a forums game at some point. That OK with you?

As for playing, I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to commit enough time to a mafia game right now, so it wouldn't be fair to you or the other players to sign up. :shobon: I'll still spectate though!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think most people are waiting for soldiers game to wane a bit. I have something I'm toying with atm though!

Unrelated question - what do people think of giving OPG powers to make voting lights out or double plurality for one day only? Is this too powerful in town or scum hands?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flying Leatherman posted:

JakeP helped me out with the setup I was working on a couple weeks ago. It's a 11 player game so might be able to get through it pretty quick (ie not interfering with other people who have games lined up for after soldiers wraps up). I could do signups maybe this weekend if I can figure out how votefinder works.

preview edit: unless pod has something in which case I will wait! :ohdear:

Go for it, good buddy! I set up a Votefinder account myself the other day and it's pretty easy.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flying Leatherman posted:

JakeP helped me out with the setup I was working on a couple weeks ago. It's a 11 player game so might be able to get through it pretty quick (ie not interfering with other people who have games lined up for after soldiers wraps up). I could do signups maybe this weekend if I can figure out how votefinder works.

preview edit: unless pod has something in which case I will wait! :ohdear:

My game is ready to go so you should post yours before I do! (mine is similarly small, 9-person game.)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Battlestar Galactica: Thirty-Three, an 11-person fast-paced game, is now open for signups!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

"Sometimes you have to do things you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
Battlestar Galactica II: Bastille Day, an open-setup game for 16 players using Lumpen's Nailbiter setup, is now open for signups!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mods, please kill this person for editing their post. Tia.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

In the speakeasies of New York City, drunken patrons bandy about fantastical tales of Shine, a batch of moonshine that triggers extraordinary abilities in those who drink it. To most people, Shine is just an urban legend, and Prohibition is just the Man trying to keep the common people from their alcohol.

In a small number of backroom speakeasies, however, Shine is real, and Prohibition has long since ceased being about alcohol. To a small but growing group of customers, Shine makes flight, telekinesis, or telepathy a matter of a couple drinks. There is a darker side of Shine, however - Shine affects the mind as well as the body, and several of those who drink it have gone mad - or worse, become monsters. A less exotic threat, but no less dangerous, is organized crime. Flush with the power and influence of Shine, organized crime has become bolder and bolder, and the newly organized FBI struggles to contain their influence.

Shine is a flavorful closed-setup game of Mafia for 21 players.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

In the speakeasies of New York City, drunken patrons told fantastical tales of Shine, a batch of moonshine that triggered extraordinary abilities in those who drank it. To most people, Shine was just an urban legend, and Prohibition was just the Man trying to keep the common people from their alcohol. However, In one certain backroom speakeasy Shine was a very real thing and Prohibition had long since ceased being about alcohol.

After a quiet but vicious struggle for power, both the FBI and Mafia failed to seize control of the Shine network and Prohibition was thoroughly defanged in the city. While the genius brewer who created Shine in the first place died at a maddened Shiner's hands, he had already passed on the secret of its creation to his daughter Ilsa. She continued to refine the recipe, and eventually left New York City to bring Shine to new places. Of course, the city life isn't easy to let go of, and eventually Ilsa settled down once more, brewing her improved Shine recipes for a different distribution network in a quiet city by the name of Chicago...

The year is 1931, and Al Capone has just been sentenced to 11 years in prison. For the first time in years, the Chicago Outfit has a leadership crisis. Will Capone's loyal successors take over the Outfit and its lucrative Shine bootlegging operations, or will others take the opportunity to eliminate their rivals and seize power for themselves?

Shine II: The Chicago Outfit, is a flavorful semi-open setup game of Mafia for 24 players.

:cheers: Signups are open right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780884 :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Would anyone be interested in trying a game of Tontine? It's a Mafia-like similar to Cash and Guns but faster and with less complications.

In summary: Everyone is trying to be the last survivor of a group to grab up to four bags of money (worth $3-5) in each round. Eliminations are decided by a blind vote that can't be changed once submitted. Once everyone has voted the mod reveals the votes, and every player with the most votes is eliminated - unless they chose to set an ambush instead of voting, in which case they survive and get a free kill on someone who voted for them. Every player who didn't vote with a majority is eliminated, and everyone who set an ambush but wasn't an elimination target is also eliminated. If everyone dies, the round restarts. If one player is left, he gets all four bags. If two players are left, they have to choose whether to share the bags, grab a single bag and run, or try to steal all four bags. However, if both players try to steal they both get nothing and every other player gets a bag. Then everyone comes back to life and a new round begins. Repeat until someone has $25 after a round, upon which the game ends and the person with the most money wins.

If we did play I'd be looking for 7-12 players and running to 24 hour deadlines. PMs are absolutely essential.

Somberbro ran a game or two of this several months back - it looked fun as an observer but I'm not sure how it was as a player?

EDIT:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751173
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751941

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In celebration of a momentous event, An Absurd Dawning: Wedding of the Century, a quick and lighthearted game of Mafia for 8 players, is now open for signups! 3 spots left!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Are YOU a cool person? That's OK, you should still sign up for Super Smash Soldiers, a game of thoroughly sanitized yet brutal video game violence inflicted upon your peers!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aggro posted:

I haven't played forums-based mafia in like six years, but I have a one month sabbatical from work and would like to play. Is it cool if I jump in to this game?

Answering on his behalf: Yes of course :justpost:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Browsing existing setups on the various wikis is always a good start, personally. Another strategy I use is that I like to come up with an interesting interaction between roles, and build the game out from there. (This is distinct from basing the game around a single role, as they will always die Day/Night 1.)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
One day, a simple man by the name of Iskra Miloslovsky brewed up a very special batch of moonshine - known simply as Shine - that changed the world forever. Much to his surprise, those who drank his creation gained extraordinary abilities - well beyond their wildest dreams! To most, Shine was just an urban legend, and Prohibition was just the Man trying to keep the common people from their alcohol. But anytime a new power rises, so too do those who would take it for themselves...

First, a silent war broke out in New York City focused on one certain backroom speakeasy where tradesmen congregated to enjoy a drink after a hard day's work, but in the end the common man won the day against both the New York City Mafia and the newly-founded FBI, and Shine survived to spread beyond the city.

Then, Shine came to Chicago in the midst of a brutal gang war as the Outfit struggled to retain control over the city while their former boss Al Capone languished in prison, but in the end the nefarious North Side Gang crushed the Outfit and took control of the Shine trade in Chicago.

Through each bloody conflict, Shine spread further across the nation - as did the secrets of its brewing. And now, with the end of Prohibition, Shine is easy to get for anyone who wants it - young or old, rich or poor. But crafty brewers keep on experimenting with Shine recipes, and new batches pop up every day with stranger and stranger effects. In the end, nobody could have foreseen the kind of chaos a humble Russian immigrant's creation would bring to the bustling city of New Orleans. What darkness lies behind the frail veneer of this bright and lively place, as Prohibition's last dying clutches fade away and New Orleans' residents embrace the unpredictable power of Shine?

Shine III: Spirits of New Orleans, is a flavorful closed-setup game of Mafia for 33(!) players.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.samafia.net/wiki/Anti-Lurker_Rules

Created a new page on the wiki by request from Flying Leatherman, feel free to add input/other takes on anti-lurking measures!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A simple schooner with sixteen souls aboard has strayed too close to the frigid northern seas, and the merciless ice closes in without warning. As supplies dwindle, tempers shorten, and the chill specter of mortality looms large, what secrets - and darkness - will it reveal aboard?

Icebound is an open-setup game of Mafia for 16 players.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It is November 1872. The brigantine Mary Celeste has been at sea for 23 days en route from New York to Genoa with a cargo of 1700 casks of commercial alcohol. It is a cargo with which the ship's complement is unfamiliar. The Mary Celeste lies approximately 500 miles off the island of Santa Maria in the Azores...

...A week later, the ship is found, abandoned, its cargo untouched. The crew is never found. Over the years, many bizarre theories have arisen to explain what happened on that fateful voyage... but it's time you found out for yourself.

The Last Journey of the Mary Celeste is a flavorful closed-setup game of Mafia for 18 players.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: Solium Infernum: A Soldiers Mafia Game :siren: Now open for recruitment!

:black101:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of just crossposting, let me ask - does anyone follow this thread that does NOT follow the general Mafia discussion thread?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good enough for me, thanks for confirming!

~~~

Nobody knows who you are

And nobody cares.

There are nine of you in the room

Two will betray you.

Find and expel them

Or you will surely die.

The Room is a FLIPLESS game of Mafia for 9 players, using the Backup6 semi-open setup.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Things had always been a bit tense on the southwestern border between the United States and Mexico. America's position in the world was on the upswing, largely thanks to its near-monopoly on Shine production. However, it was no secret that the other major powers coveted America's good fortune. No-one had made an overt move yet, but there were whispers and movements in the shadows of the world's stage.

Thus, when the famed Mexican general Pancho Villa took advantage of the Mexican Revolution's chaos to build his own army - the División Del Norte - and strike at Texas, none of the other major powers would take responsibility for his ostensibly independent action. On the other hand, neither would they allow the United States to officially intervene in this seemingly minor border skirmish under penalty of facing concerted opposition from the rest of the world. Responsibility for opposing Pancho Villa's assault fell to the embattled governor of Texas, Miriam A. "Ma" Ferguson. Mustering the Texas State Guard, she prepared what defenses she could and readied her troops to push the Mexicans back out of her great state.

As the two forces prepared to face off, it rapidly became clear that they had earned themselves some saboteurs and spies. Supplies were destroyed, and trusted confidants were murdered in the dark of the night. Each army would need to split their attention - eliminating the foes without and within - in order to win the day.

The world watched, and waited with bated breath. Shine was entering the battlefield for the first time - and only time would reveal its shocking impact.

Shine V: How The Southwest Was Won is a flavorful closed-setup game of Soldiers Mafia for 50(!!!) players.

Important Note: I expect this game to start no earlier than post-Christmas, probably close to the new year given the amount of setup required. Don't worry about committing during the holidays.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

You answered your own question bro

:getout:

if you're not gonna play mafia that's fine but don't stick around to poo poo talk it to newbies, tia

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Pod I can't tell if you're being serious or not

I am being entirely serious. As someone who has loudly and publicly declared their desire to never play mafia again, it's rude to hang around and poo poo on mafia in a mafia game announcement thread when (relative) newbies are asking legitimate questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lol that doesn't work if you timg it tho