Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

EccoRaven posted:

Generally I try to keep alignment-changes some variation of:
- In addition to your original win condition (e.g. someone becomes an original-alignment survivor);
- One that is not inherently exclusive to your original condition (e.g. a vanilla town becoming an SK);
- A result of the player's actions in-game;
- Can "wear off" after a time or event (e.g. a player dying returns to their original alignment);
- If recruited, severely limited in focus (e.g., recruitments on power roles are just a normal nightkill, certain vanillas are protected, etc.)

I know many people take a hard-line stance against alignment-changers and it's very understandable why. But if there is a way to "do" them that most people can enjoy, I would like to figure it out.

What have been your experiences with alignment-changers?!

My only experience with alignment-changers has been the traditional set-up, which I loathe. Though I haven't' seen it implemented, I have always wanted to see a "Suicide Cult" style role converter, where targets retain their original alignment but die if the recruiter or an unaffiliated third party is killed.

Of course, the town might be tempted to reveal the cult leader to remove the third party early on. I haven't figured out how to remove that risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Look Under The Rock posted:

I'd be interested to see a mechanic based on petitioning gods, who would be players outside of the game with boons to grant and alignments/win conditions but no knowledge of who has which role and no ability to post within the thread. They can only influence the outcome of the game by privately granting boons that they are asked for publicly; for instance, one god might get to decide what the order of operations for night actions will be, one might grant a one-shot ability to beg a boon privately instead of needing to ask it in thread, one might give a token that empowers or complicates existing role abilities.

Any thoughts on this?

Something similar was done in Chili's Hunger Games Mafia. The game began with vanilla players but spectators could grant roles and abilities to players by donating to charity. The game played out very nicely and it raised a good amount of money.

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I have some role ideas that I think are cool but I'm probably never going to get around to running a game. It's too drat time consuming to do it right, you know?
:hfive:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

A question: How much of a time commitment is it to run a game? If a moderator has already assembled relevant role flavor, flip templates, and other relevant documents, it shouldn't take much time, right?

A second question: If/when I find the time to run a game (and I would like to run a standard game before this even), I would like to mod a game of Mutually Assured Destruction. I've been thinking about it for sometime. Though I have a rough set-up in an Excel document that I would rather not share, the basic details would be as follows:

- Sixteen (16) player game;
- All players have at least one dayvig;
- All dayvigs are processed on a time delay of twenty-four hours, during which time the deadline is pushed back and the game continues normally, giving players the opportunity to retaliate;
- There is a hidden ceiling on how many dayvigs can be used during the game. If this number is surpassed, the game enters "nuclear winter" in which all players lose;
- Possibly some sort of ceiling on how many vigs a single player can use at a time. Without some sort of restriction, I foresee a scum player punching the big red button the moment he realizes he is about to be lynched.

Is there any interest for such a game?