Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
alliance changing is bad in mafia, unless you are playing some kind of mafia-like designed and balanced around it where the players know ahead of time they are not playing mafia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Any situation where a player goes from town to scum is not condusive to actual mafia play. People who are looking for scummy players that are good at scumhunting will see the player as town because of their time as a town player, and really once you started a game as town, it is far easier to fake it than if you came into the game with scum knowledge, just by continuing your previous thought processes in addition to going with the flow. If a player were to switch from town to a 3P win condition that is potentially different depending on the condition.

Cult is generally unfun.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to cop ecco last night and the attempt was declined ##vote ecco

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Flying Leatherman posted:

Hello!

I took a few days away from things and came back and missed the big soldiers game. Whoops.

Given that, I was thinking about running a very small (11 player) game in the near future, like maybe end of next week or so if people don't think that would be too soon. As that would be the first game I'd be running here (or, to be honest, at all), I'd appreciate a second pair of eyes on the setup as I think it might need a little tweaking before getting started. (I'm trying to adapt an existing setup I had lying around to a smaller game, and having some trouble).

Does this seem reasonable to people? Is it too soon? I do not know!

Anyway, if you'd like to help me get this thing in order, please shoot me a PM, I'd love some help.

I would personally wait a week or so for that game to get started and for some people to die at least. I think that game is going to require a lot of peoples attention, and includes almost everyone that would sign up for your game.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I could take a look at your setup if you want

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
same, after playing 2 soldier games and having no fun I vowed never to play in one again

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

KennyMan666 posted:

Of course there's mafia here, I should've known. Hi, I'm Kenny!

I played a bunch of Mafia on other, smaller forums back in the day, none of those specific mafia forums though, and a recent IRC conversation got me back in the mood for hosting a game, something I've done on several occasions in the past (and I tend to prefer hosting to playing). Tried to start it up on the related forum but no interest was to be had there. Guess I'll hang out with you guys instead.

So I've been checking some of the game threads and there's definitely some variances in how I'm used for things to work, but I'm studying the wiki so I should be fine. Biggest diff is definitely that votebot you have, I see how that can make things easier.

I'm seeing there's... a bunch of active games and some signups running now, so I assume it's a good idea to wait until some have ended before starting up one. Two questions related to that since I'm new here and can't find anything about it in the thread or on the wiki: What's around here considered the "limit" for how many games is a good idea to be on at once, and is there some kind of queue for prospective hosts (I see there used to be a queue on the wiki for large games but that was discontinued, so wondering if there's some informal queue nowadays)? Back when I used to play elsewhere we never had more than one game running at the same time to avoid fatigue, but those were far smaller communities than SA and so there was not much variance in the active playerbase between games. I will gladly wait my turn.

Another thing that I'm used to playing with but can't find any mention of on the wiki or in any of the completed game threads I've seen is clues to help out the townies, some kind of puzzle or riddle included in the day opening post that, when solved, points to the killer's identity (assuming there was a mafia kill). Usually one player would hold a "cluegiver" role, and once that guy's dead, no more clues for the town, giving the mafia an incentive to hunt down and kill them. There's been some contention about whether or not they're a good idea where I've played and if they're too easy they're definitely too much of a boon for the town. I've definitely been known to err on the side of "how was anyone ever supposed to figure this out" when I've made them for games I've hosted. Has something like that ever been a thing around these parts and I've just missed it? If/when I do host, I am planning on including it, and I figure that after the amount of games that's been played here, changing up the standard format a little isn't considered a bad thing.

Also, do only people with PMs play, or how are communications solved if there's players who don't? (things you only have to take into account on SomethingAwful...)

Welcome! Sign up for Frictions Xcom game. Its an open setup so should be a pretty good first game to play here to get a feel for how we play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Overwatchfia a Mafia game for 21 players is now recruiting and will start whenever it fills (however long that takes)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768916