Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

H.H posted:

So how's August? Is it the cruelest month over there as well?

In Helsinki region summers can last until October, it's atm pretty balmy outside and my dad just took on his bike to go swimming in a lake.

Yes, I am drunk right now, why do you ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I remember once drinking in a Kuopio dive bar during the winter. There was a bunch of students in the next table, one of them had already gotten to the stage where he sat motionless with his face down on the table. One of his friends lifted his head, looked at him and yelled triumphant, in a thick Savo accent: "HE CAN STILL DRINK MORE, HIS EYES ARE MOVING!"

Oh, gotta get back to Kuopio soon, they really know their booze there :allears:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

When they tell you it's a “A Land of a Thousand Lakes”, what they're really saying is that it's all bog, swamp and peatland.

They're clever like that, the asiatics.

Gotta say, this is 100% fact, except this is basically the view from my family summer home:

I used to think that everyone around the world drives twice every year away in the woods to spend a week drunk, alone, looking at the sun rise and set from the peace of your own log cabin. Finland has some good things going for it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Someone from Denmark once explained to me that Nordic relations are about everyone else hating the Swedes. The Swedes, being so drat aloof and sure of their superiority, actually believe that their neighbours love them and thus they have the civilizing mission of making the life of their neighbours better by being Super Lovable and... Swedish. When any other Nordic team loses out in any team sport, their fans automatically switch their support to any team that can make sure that Sweden loses out. When Sweden gets dropped, their fans switch their support... to any other Nordic team that has a shot at the gold. It's dysfunctional relationships at their best.

Basically Swedes are the Mormons of the Nordic, Finland is Wisconsin but with Minnesota weather. Denmark, being super racist, is Arizona with better beer and Norway... Norwegians are crazy Scots.

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 26, 2015

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Where do you live where you find the thought of social or physical contact with another human being repulsive enough to avoid all interaction, despite the frigid temperature and the instinctual human need for group comfort and warmth?

Is it Finland?

When it is cold and dark out, the last thing you want is having to listen to some dimwit rattling on about his useless life while you patiently try to wait for the bus. Give me silence anytime.

...I just realized that was my instinctual reaction to the mere thought of random human contact. Being a Finn really is about misanthropy, isn't it?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Gibberish posted:

so between finland, denmark, sweden and norway, which country is the least worst to live in?

like i assume it's denmark because it probably has the best weather because it's the most south of them all

Denmark is a bit expensive but yeah, it's the best of the lot. Best weather, best beer, best girls, best weed, best parties.

...unless you look even vaguely middle-eastern in which case stay away, I mean Finns are racist but god drat even compared to us the Danes really, really hate their muslims

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Because I am not a caveman / my mongol blood has been diluted enough by 'continental influences', I can see the good points of an egalitarian society that does not run on alcoholism, racism, misogyny and general resentment by badly educated hilbillies.

Then again I like to use conditioner on my hair so I guess Sweden is the country for me, after all, Solsidan here I come :allears:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

all nordic countries are the same: loving boring and expensive :ssh:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

People are always complaining about country.jpg threads being 'racist', but why am I not surprised that it is in finland.jpg that the real racist shitheels crawl out of the woodwork

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

here's a finnish art:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKYD-cDd_Gs
"Men always give in. I will never give in."

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

quakster posted:

the word is "viina", btw

The cause of, and solution to all life's problems. Actually, now that you think of it, Homer Simpson is probably of Finnish descent.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I thought this thread could use some off-key Wittgenstein:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGksgZKecKE

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

hard counter posted:

You would think the finn might know something of horses but nah, not real horses anyway.

They have a really lovely, runty breed of horse there that's good for nothing that probably descends from an eastern line of domesticated animals rather than a northern one. It's appropriately called the finnhorse. Historically and in pre-modern times those would get ditched when you had money and any other breed was available.

being mad about finnish horses, a swedish national pastime

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

hard counter posted:

lol you think i'm mad

yeah i think u mad

lol

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Why do we still cling on to daylight savings time, the cold and damp darkness now falls at 4 PM and all I have to pass the time is dreaming about the sweet release of death, it keeps me going through the five months of the worst weather, experienced in the rear end-end of the world

gonna go sit in a bog or something and get drunk

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, there is a lot of 'nature' in Finland, however most of it is just endless identical tree farms planted for forest industry that modern-day Finns mistake for actual biodiversity. Sure, there are a few national parks here and there but mostly Finnish nature is pretty boring.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

boring compared to what, exactly?

I dunno, actual diversity? You have to be a true Finn to actually appreciate the interesting endless swathes of identical pine trees, I guess. I like the lakes, though.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Actually, this whole thread has been lying to you outsiders all along, this is what Finns really look like:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Molentik posted:

Yo Finland, with all those bogs, do you even have bog mummies like all the cool bog having countries do?

I guess our bogs are the wrong kind? Not acidic enough or something to preserve bodies, I guess. That, or the peat harvesting industry has been real quiet about any archeological finds that would get in the way of good ol' old-school rape of natural resources.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

He's not only the prime minister, he's also one drat rich dude. That's why he can afford a 40-year old car that runs on wood chips while the rest of us have small wagons pulled by bog horses.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

seriousguess: something something gender equality

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

There's no Finnish workplace where you could get in trouble for having that image on your screen when boss walks in. At worst you'd get a disinterested "häh okei" and usually the whole office will gather around to enjoy together that amazing display of true Finnishness :finland:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

it begins, cue 50 pages of closeted neo nazis and leftists duking it out over the true meaning of toleration

welcome to the finnish internet, everyone

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Fash and the Commie both run deep in the Finn, it's kinda weird actually, you'd think our Mongol blood would make us immune to such European diseases

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

i'm actually embarrassed to have typed that i'm really sorry.

it's cool, you're alright. let's put this past us and meditate on rubber dicks instead

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

i can't remember, it was a work trip so i didnt book the hotel myself.

i think the reason why the receptionist was so mad was that it was an electric kiuas (no idea what you swedes call it) so naturally throwing water in will make it explode.

I've seen a bastu that had a red rope in front of the electric kiuas, with a sign hanging off it saying that throwing water on the rocks is explicitly verboten because *electrical hazard*. I was just glad they didn't make me wear safety gear going in.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

it's bog vs. slav in the junior hockey wc final tonight, whichever wins, there's gonna be a lot of drunk people yelling under my window tonight

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

we're 20 minutes and two goals away from

who am I kidding, that's gonna go down whatever happens

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

living in finland: nsfw

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

A Finn lectures on philosophy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od75sn-gb_k
(w/ English subs)

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, welcome, the job market has gone to poo poo but that only means there's discounts for beer everywhere! For a little orientation, if you gonna boogie down with the bogmen, you gotta be able to cite this comedy clip by heart (no joke):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyFg9xoPKk

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

This dude is pretty popular in Germany.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4QTXZMFcos

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Gov just decided to cut wages for the worst-off while the finance minister (the creepy dude on the right) made his wish to "follow the way shown by Thatcher" extremely public. Would you say that FIST BUMPS are in order?

YES.

actually do follow thatcher and have a stroke, you pricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

• Locked thread