Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I live right next to finland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Waci posted:

Which side?

the good side

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
finland is the inbetween bastard child of the real scandinavia and the slavs of eastern europe

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
why do i keep getting anime pictures when i google for finland

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Finland is like Sweden and Norway, except worse in every single way

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

do people from norway and sweden hate eachother too, or is it just directed towards finland?

Norwegians and Swedes are pretty much the same. The culture and people are so alike that any outsider would find it very difficult to find any differences between the two nations apart from the fact that Norway has tons of oil and Sweden doesnt

Even the languages are so similiar that people from Norway and Sweden can usually understand eachother just fine. poo poo they used to be one country..

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 26, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one understands Danish though

Sometimes not even the danes

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

MVP posted:

Sweden's biggest celebrity

Actually we got the fat neckbeard guy who created Minecraft too

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Finland invented the Molotov Cocktail in that war

They didnt have proper anti tank weaponry so they just set everything on fire instead

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
now it is the obligatory white death post:

quote:

Simo "Simuna" Häyhä; December 17, 1905 – April 1, 2002), nicknamed "White Death"During the Winter War (1939–1940) between Finland and the Soviet Union, Häyhä served as a sniper for the Finnish Army against the Red Army in the 6th Company of JR 34 during the Battle of Kollaa in temperatures between −40 °C (−40 °F) and −20 °C (−4 °F), dressed completely in white camouflage. Stalin’s purges of military experts caused chaos, and Soviet troops were not issued with white camouflage suits for most of the war, making them easily visible to snipers. Häyhä was credited with 542 confirmed kills of Soviet soldiers by Finnish military historian Robert Brantberg, while the documentary shown on Finnish channel MTV Oy stated 505 sniper kills. A daily account of the kills at Kollaa was made for the Finnish snipers.

All of Häyhä's kills were accomplished in fewer than 100 days – an average of just over five kills per day – at a time of year with very few daylight hours.

Häyhä used an M/28-30, with serial number 60974, since it suited his small frame (1.6 m (5 ft 3 in)). The rifle is a shorter, Finnish White Guard militia variant of the Mosin–Nagant rifle, known as "Pystykorva" (literally "Spitz", due to the front sight's resemblance to the head of a spitz-type dog) chambered in the Finnish Mosin–Nagant cartridge 7.62×53mmR. He preferred iron sights over telescopic sights as to present a smaller target for the enemy (a sniper must raise his head higher when using a telescopic sight), to increase accuracy (a telescopic sight's glass can fog up easily in cold weather), and to aid in concealment (sunlight glare in telescopic sight lenses can reveal a sniper's position). As well as these tactics, he frequently packed dense mounds of snow in front of his position to conceal himself, provide padding for his rifle and reduce the characteristic puff of snow stirred up by the muzzle blast. He was also known to keep snow in his mouth whilst sniping, to prevent steamy breaths giving away his position in the cold air.

The Soviets' efforts to kill Häyhä included counter-snipers and artillery strikes, and on March 6, 1940, Häyhä was hit by an explosive bullet in his lower left jaw by a Russian soldier, blowing off his lower left cheek. He was picked up by fellow soldiers who said "half his face was missing", but he did not die, regaining consciousness on March 13, the day peace was declared. Shortly after the war, Häyhä was promoted from alikersantti (Under-Sergeant) to vänrikki (Ensign) by Field Marshal Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim.

this little dwarf killed so many russians

:finland:

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 27, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Finland isnt happy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-s6nUhihA

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

Lapland, Finland:

intradasting note: lapland is also part of sweden

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

tetsuo posted:

all the nordic countries seem v cool and i'd love to visit and it's cool they all speak english but would norwegian or swedish be the best to learn for mutual intelligibility

just speak english

we're good at english up here

The rest of europe is... less enlightened :smug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How did our countries up north get their names anyway? I live in Sweden and I have no idea where "Sverige" came from

quote:

In Sweden, the form Swerike is attested from the end of the 13th century, Svearike, from the 14th century, as well as the Icelandic Svíaríki and the Old Gutnish Suiariki.
In those days the meaning was restricted to the older Swedish region in Svealand and did not always include Götaland, the land of the Geats. The word rike translates to "realm" and also appears in the name of the legislature, Riksdag (c.f. Danish rigsdag, German Reichstag).

Towards the end of the 15th century, the form had changed to Swerighe both in Swedish and Danish, like bakare ("baker") to bagare and mik ("me") to mig. 17th-century spellings include Swerghe, Swirghe, Swirge.

Much is made about the difference between the medieval forms Svearike and Sverige. Although, medieval Swedes were unlikely to see it as anything else but a matter of pronunciation.

It kind of just appeared one day and no one knows where it came from before those records. Our ancestors loving sucked at writing poo poo down. Too busy raping and wrestling in the mud.

Meanwhile, in Finland;

quote:

The first known written appearance of the name Finland is thought to be on on three rune-stones. Two were found in the Swedish province of Uppland and have the inscription finlonti. The third was found in Gotland, in the Baltic Sea. It has the inscription finlandi and dates from the 13th century. The name can be assumed to be related to the tribe name Finns, which is mentioned first known time AD 98 (disputed meaning).

loving no one knows where "Suomi" comes from

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Gibberish posted:

so between finland, denmark, sweden and norway, which country is the least worst to live in?

like i assume it's denmark because it probably has the best weather because it's the most south of them all

Seeden nooeay and demak are interchsngeable pretty mich. Weather migh be sloghtly better in demmark. Some say salaries and quality of life is better in noreay though

Fuckkk typing on a åphone

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sweden had coolet cities

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
fucks sake, dont travel to scandinavia period

it's cold, wet and dull, the cities are tiny and boring and the weather is too poo poo almost all the time to enjoy the nature consistently and its too expensive to live here

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
our people are more attractive than the rest of the world though

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the average finnish man on an average day:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ultrabindu posted:

So really what I'm getting from this is that Finland and Scandinavia in general is not a place I should want to visit.

correct, but especially true in the case of finland, who is the bottom bitch of scandinavia

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the caliphate of scandinavia has declared Finland haram

absolute haram

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

im in this video

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
3:54+ in that video shows what all of europe thinks of finland and their women

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quakster posted:

is this genuine anger i'm feeling atm. "no, we're better"

i think it is. wanna kill some swedes

theyre right though

seek your feelings, for you know it to be true as well

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i'll take muslims over finns

At least muslims brought kebab and hot women. Finns are just a black hole of drunken stupor and saunas

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
you really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and make up statistics?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
copious amounts of vodka

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
according to the rulebook of fast foods, youre both wrong

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
FInland likes to think it is a scandinavian country instead of just another slav shithole

lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

notice how Sweden is the happiest scandinavian country

for we are the best, you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

• Locked thread