Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm an American who moved to Finland, it is good. I revel in the cold and darkness. I have learned to feel nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm on the realatively balmy west coast, average winter temps are around -10 celsius, and we get about 4 hours of daylight at the solstice. Once you get further north and inland things get much more fun.

I like it a lot here actually; I picked up the language fast, run a small business, and have had a very positive immigration experience. I actually drink significantly less than I did in the US, because the beer is both pretty bad and expensive.

A big thing that stuck out to me as an American was that the class I was in during my vocational training was the first I had ever been in where I definitively knew what everyone looked like naked. I've had some weird culture shock moments, but nothing too bad. I've accepted that "Now is the time when we drink coffee, we do not talk," is totally ok. I have a Mr. Sparkle situation with one of the local bread mascots, it's great.

Free Market Mambo fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 25, 2015

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The sauna is a big communal thing, so it was common for us all to sauna together, and the not talking thing isn't specifically anything to do with coffee, more that silence is something Finns are more comfortable with than many other cultures, there's not a ton of pressure to engage in small talk.

I've had a few moments where I wonder if someone hates me or is autistic, then I realize, "nope, just Finnish."

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

MrChupon posted:

Isn't Finland the country where all of the freegan dumpster divers come from and insist there isn't anything dirty about it, unlike awful American dumpsters?

Strangely, all the dumpster diving, greenpeacey types I encounter here are Swedish and German, but ymmv.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Shadow posted:

The sauna thing is cool. I wish that was a bigger thing in the US instead of by and large attracting rich, old, white men sitting around naked.

My first winter here I reffed a post-sauna nude fight between a Finn and a Swede in Lapland. Such is life.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The Finn won.

Date a Finn-Swede and get even more bottlenecky, them folks is all kin.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nauta posted:

this is what swedes actually believe

Watching Swedes clutch their pearls when they come here is really funny.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

hard counter posted:

pls keep sweden swedish, tia

2 late.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
:henget: I speak Swedish, my Finnish is much worse

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
IMO If you haven't drunkenly stumbled out of a sauna, swam across a lake, beat a snake to death with a birch stick, and returned, you haven't really lived.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Long drink

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Spent the morning driving through endless forest listening to unintelligible Finnish hiphop, am now eating a worryingly tasty buffet lunch. Please send help.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I once had a boss whose name translated as Mr. Wolf, and as part of my training he made me fight a husky.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
There is a facebook group tracking the location of all 8 police in the region, they'll never take me.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's real rough, all kinds of trouble.

Yesterday my neighbor said hello to me in the elevator.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Spent the last evening whaling on a piece of birch with an axe, and am sending in an application to the Svenska Kulturfonden at this very moment.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

loving pretty boy. Prob. a crypto-Swede.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Buying knife making supplies today. Store knife not sufficient for my deep Ugric needs.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Kniv sleev

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Puukko-Ukko

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Build a Finn a fire, he's warm for a day.
Set a Finn on fire, he thanks you for the sweet release you gave him.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

kikkelivelho posted:

no knifes. poo poo is inaccurate

To be shanked by svensk stål, the greatest shame.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'll take a hood rich Norwegian and a silent Finn over a sanctimonious Swede any day.

Denmark is not included, they are confused.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
järn piller för sverige

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Give Finn knife, friend for life.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Realtalk, give me Mexican from a wheeled vehicle over the rotating shame-meat they call kebab in the Nordic lands.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm salivating right the gently caress now.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

if you took the 6 million Finns and put them in a place with good Mediterranean weather like California would the suicide rate drop?

Strangely, the life goal of every Scandinavian is to visit LA. It is inexplicable and concerning.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fine, Stockholmers want to go to New York City. Then return and talk about how "real" it was.

The Florida/Finn connection is another of life's little mysteries.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I have a friend who is a half German, Swedish med student in Stockholm. I want you to close your eyes and imagine the levels of smugness and certainty this man possesses.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Log island.

Poop log island.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Now you've gone and done it.

EFB

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yes, more, it tastes like socker dricka and kombucha.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

goatse.cx haver posted:

that swedes are lil pissbitch fuccbois?

u heard me

It is known.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gatdamn.

Free Market Mambo