Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

My mom told me that when growing up Norwegian TV used to broadcast Finnish television theater during the day. She describes it as being minimalist and absurd, basically just a stage with some chairs and people drinking and arguing and someone committing suicide at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

remigious posted:

I used to have notions of moving to Finland, I think the language is very beautiful and I like their metal music.
But then I read that like most anywhere they hate Americans, so nevermind.

why would you pick Finland over the other nordic countries?

also, metal is gay and if you go to scandinavia for metal then lol.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TwoFire posted:

gently caress yeah!

ABBA IS WHERE ITS AT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQsjAbZDx-4

ABBA is better than metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQ9K_B2TGE<--- Good Norwegian rock and not gay, stupid lord of the rings poo poo.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is that an ironic music video or is that a recording from a TV show? I mean with the camera work being all werid and the camera men and equipment (and a ladder) not even hidden in the slightest, and you can see the road and traffic out the window I am pretty sure that this is a pre-2001 Scandinavian (I know finland isnt) television talk show studio (the audience should also give it a way).

RaceBannon posted:

Actually I think Finns are pretty and the language is too.

you must be american

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 26, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RaceBannon posted:

Does that negate my opinion?

not really it was just obvious from what you were saying.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gibberish posted:

so between finland, denmark, sweden and norway, which country is the least worst to live in?

like i assume it's denmark because it probably has the best weather because it's the most south of them all

norway. we have the most jobs and the most free money floating around. being a foreigner we'd love to have you doing customer service in electronics shops, picking strawberries, doing telemarketing, bartending or working in a hotel reception or selling Omega-3 supplements on the street.

we have the most useful language for mutual intelligibility, though we clutter it up in regional dialects and two written forms of the language.

you'll get lots of exercise, as there are usually wooded areas or mountains or hills within most towns and cities where you can go for a walk. also you'll find yourself walking alot in any case since public transportation, gas, taxi cabs and cars themselves are all expensive so if you have the time you'll often just find yourself walking someplace, and the cities in general are not designed for bikes.

it gets a bit dark and terrible many places during winter and people can be a bit cold and distant (I'd place norway behind finland and ahead of sweden on the misanthropy index), but fear not! norway has a built in safety valve against this in the form of outrageously expensive alcohol. you'll learn to adapt to this with economical binge drinking, getting most of your drunk on before you go out by drinking fast and heavy at some kind of private venue. if you prefer weed and such it can generally only be easily acquired in the big cities as far as i know, though you can get other stuff in the smaller places, norway is pretty much the scotland of scandinavia as far as heroin use goes.

but yeah, norway is the best. it's pretty great actually.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Norway is cheaper than ever before though, our currency has plummeted in value the last year and a half or something. Like you'll get almost 50% more NOK for $ than you would before , a bit less for Euros and pounds.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hobohemian posted:

So if I want to see the munch museum and poop off a fjord now is a good time to go?

Yeah, it's still probably very expensive, but its roughly 50% less very expensive than what it used to be. It will probably stay this way for quite a time, we don't have much control over it. it's an oil thing.
Also, I think air travel from southern europe and Turkey is pretty cheap (as told to me by some Spanish people who were working at a friend of mine's farm this summer in return for room and board).

General hints for travelling in Norway: camping is free, don't buy bottled water as you can just stock up on tap water at a gas station or something (it's perfectly fine to drink), don't eat out (it's really expensive, even McDonalds), gas seems to be cheaper in the east than in the west and south for some reason. Also I've never been to the Munch museum, but museums tend to be on the expensive side and not really subsidized (and I don't know of any group deals where you get multiple tickets), but from my experience museum tickets tend to range from 150-300 NOK (say $20-40).

Don't poop in the fjords.

Also god drat, dollars are even more expensive than they were a couple of months ago. it seems to be $1 = 8.8 NOK, while a couple of months ago it was $1 = ~8.4 NOK, and about one and a half years ago it was $1 = ~5.5 NOK.

I love my dead gay currency.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

etalian posted:

Any country that didn't buy into the EU currency utopia idea is laughing really hard right now.

Weak krone is good since it makes Norwegian exports more attractive and also make tourism from stronger currency countries attractive as well.

b-b-but my online shopping and vacations!

e: it's not really a weak currency. in fact as i understand it it was so highly valued that it actually hurt our economy in the sense that our exports and tourism were just too expensive. so what we're looking at now is more of the way things should be rathern than what it was like the last 10-15 years or so.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 29, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

and now there's refugees everywhere!!!

solitary fishing trip, enjoying nature, the great outdo- NOPE here comes another refugee family swimming across the goddamn lake scaring all the fish away son of a loving bitch

Nah, Poles are already taking all the fish. Though they seem to have a thing for fish Norwegians won't eat. I used to work at Biltema and I can testify that pretty much 90% of people who bought fishing rods and fishing equipment were Polish and I always see Poles fishing in bizarre places (bridges in Bergen for instance) for unconventional fish.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zzulu posted:

why is norway so utter poo poo at sports, especially the only sport the rest of us nords are good at, i.e cold sports

They got snow and ice just like us

you're not supposed to excel and draw attention to yourself in norway. you conform and keep your goddamn mouth shut, its not like you're better than anyone else.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

extra stout posted:

i wish this was true but when i read the immigration laws of norway even those that apply to me as an american it's really loving dumb, you have to bring 12 grand cash, have a work or student visa first which everyone says no one will give me, and then if you have all that you get a janitor job and can't afford 50 dollar pizzas or 50 dollar bottom shelf liquor

Well, you know any sane country would prefer to take in immigrants that are actually kind of useful.

Also, norway has always had a pretty restrictive immigration policy, though we do our share of quota refugees and stuff as well (though I think both Sweden have Denmark have taken in many more in relation to population than we have).

fun thing about norway is that swedes are our largest population of immigrants, who come here to work because sweden actually is pretty lovely when it comes to employment. they mostly do lower tier service jobs like bartending, waiting, and reception work.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

extra stout posted:

dont they work there but then only buy groceries and snus back in sweden because your taxes are poo poo? ive got a bad american associates and i thought that would at least get me a job as like an american flag underwear stripper or greeting people in english in hotels or something

some might if they live close to the border. but there are swedes all over the country really. though mostly in oslo. that's about a 3 hour car trip i think to get to svinesund. it'll end up costing you quite a bit in gas, though i think there are buses set up in østfold to get you cheaply to sweden. anyway there's nothing stopping norwegians living in the same place from doing the same thing, but most don't because of travel expenses and convenience at just going down to the local store.

swedes can easily come and go because they are in schengen. that's where your luck runs out.

e: it's either that or have education which can be useful for a job in the oil industry. I think still alot of the workers there are English and American as they were at the start when English and American oil companies were contracted to explore the north sea for oil. then alot of the workers were kept on when the state nationalized the oil reserves, so that their expertise could be utilized.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

extra stout posted:

im a derelict with a humanities major but i still appreciate all those words so i can fantasize about another life where it's night all the time and everybody is drinkine kaffe and using general or ettan snus while talking about how they wish trotsky never got killed by that ice axe

the jokes on you - i might not be able to afford to do almost anything in america but they ran a promotion here where general snus was 1 dollar a can including taxes

snus is for swedes and weaklings

• Locked thread