Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

it's not that it's gruesome it just seems to be shock for the point of shock and it ends up being completely meaningless

Yeah and Robert Deniro blasting a dude's head open in Taxi Driver is just shot for the point of shock, and it's just completely meaningless. Jack being frozen to death in the wreckage of the Titanic... That's just shock for the point of shock. The worm thing puking and filling the room with puke in Eraserhead. Yeah. Sure thing. Put some hairs on that sack you fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I will play it then

THE PENETRATOR posted:

doctor goat? more like doctor bitch retard

your new av is good

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Not to mention just the spectacle of seeing probably the best consumer-grade CG rendering of a surgery in history.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
speaking of GZ its insane that even now the cutscenes are blocked from ps4 recording when as far as I can tell, mgs5 cutscenes arent. that is upsetting, to me

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I also felt a deep void form in my soul in episode 45 or whatever one in MGS5, recently, kind of similar to when Adriana dies in the Sopranos.

Urghhh exactly..

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm still baffled by refusing to play some obviously awesome game because one of the cutscenes you can just skip has a scene that's just a tiny bit too edgy lmfao. Burn in hell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Goat posted:

it's not that it's gruesome it just seems to be shock for the point of shock and it ends up being completely meaningless

Da fuq

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
isnt the point of the operation to get a bomb out

and then there's just another bomb so it's like you didnt get the first bomb out

i'm going off what people keep telling me unspoilered

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's so sad

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Doctor Goat posted:

and then there's just another bomb so it's like you didnt get the first bomb out

just play it you retard

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The story mission of GZ takes like 44 minutes to complete. Could have finished it in this time

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

Wow, it's almost like the scene is supposed to be about how they go through all this trouble and put you, the viewer, through a tense and unnerving moment with them, only to find out they weren't thorough enough. It's called storytelling you clown... God drat... I'm working with a bunch of amateurs around here... gently caress sakes...

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

when the cake was a lie OP

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

they did a good job modeling her intestines

i think it was a really effective scene and it's sad that a few people swore off mgs after reading about it or whatever

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

a few people swore off mgs after reading about it or whatever

I can't believe this is real.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

well they probably were being histrionic and got over it

i hope so

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I get if your extremely squeamish or have PTSD from surgery or w/e but come on... Swearing off MGS because you heard of that... That's not real.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

i think the implied vag bomb in particular was a sore spot for a few people, but tbf the whole chico and paz tape stuff was kind of messed

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That child race in Tera is pretty creepy, though some people disagree.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Brilliant Forum Man Discovers That Naked Horny Children Is Quote, "P. Creepy."

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The elephant graveyard level in the lion king

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
When Aeris dies.

Also the first scene in Resident Evil 2 (when they break through the window and eats the shopkeeper). It was the first time I saw a zombie and I was like 9 years old and we were playing it in a friend of a friend's attic. I got super scared. :smith:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
When I was 14 or whatever playing MGS3 and I was in the jungle with EVA and my brother wanted to see what happened if you killed her so he made me continuously shoot her with a machine gun until she died

Recently probably uhh the neutral-route lethal fight against undyne in undertale

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crono dying on the last third of Chrono Trigger blew my mind when I first played it

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Foxhound posted:

When Aeris dies.

Also the first scene in Resident Evil 2 (when they break through the window and eats the shopkeeper). It was the first time I saw a zombie and I was like 9 years old and we were playing it in a friend of a friend's attic. I got super scared. :smith:

that part with the licker in the one way mirror room... i thought i was being clever by killing it on the side it comes from before picking up the item which lured me into a false sense of security, gently caress

the bit where ben gets split in half from the babby gvirus thing shocked me as well

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Aston posted:

The elephant graveyard level in the lion king
There's a Disney skateboarding game for the PS2 where you can skate around it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

There's a Disney skateboarding game for the PS2 where you can skate around it

lol

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I really didn't like feeling like I was forced to kill people (?) in SOMA. Also the ending mission plot poo poo in MGS5 was way disempowering.

I think I need to quit playing 'feel bad simulators'.

Also when Aeris dies!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the cutscenes in splatterhouse... and the jump scares... and the creepy as gently caress bosses (that loving teddy bear and the baby are going to haunt me to death)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Paz' guts really got me even though it was already in the trailer. Its a great scene and really made me feel a lot of sympathy for someone who already tried to kill me in a giant robot. Also shows how underhanded Skullface is.

Most of the gut punches I've come across are pretty modern. I dunno if it's just games looking and sounding better or me getting older or a mix of both. I think the biggest one was the suicide in The Last of Us. Especially with the quick cut

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
bad rats changed the way I think about how games can effect our emotions forever.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I was doing one of the remixed missions in MGSV and had a bunch of suicidal donkeys charging at my jeep. I tried to dodge them but one ran past me and came back around and just slammed into my jeep as I slowed down. I wanted to extract it but I saw the blood pooling around the body. I was just like "Man, fuuuuk..."

John Marston's last stand in Red Dead Redemption was really loving poignant to me.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

Showing my best friend fallout 2, i watched him immediately become a slaver and then shoot everyone in town

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i felt like every cutscene in gta v was really despicable. i hated playing that game

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I didnt play ground zeroes but i didnt think the cutscene was really all that bad. The torture mission in GTAV was harder for me to watch, honestly.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wait no it was powering up my GBC and finding my brother had wiped my save showing the game to our shithead neighbour. Someone gamesharked me a Mew and I had a legit 150 :negative:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

That was hosed up for me too :(

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Bedlamdan posted:

That was hosed up for me too :(

i never learned to gust of wind dance on him and felt incomplete

next time i played it i made sure to do that early

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The bleak as hell ending of FFT. Doing an ethnic cleansing massacre on Let us Cling Together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HolePisser1982 posted:

i felt like every cutscene in gta v was really despicable.

michaels family scenes were worse torture than the torture scene.

• Locked thread