Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

clockworkjoe posted:

The Last Flight was run by Tom.

I know what you mean about the verbal tics but editing isn't really an option because of time and energy constraints. Even though we have a ton of players, no one else has expressed any real interest in doing any of the technical work. RPPR is largely shaped by what is relatively easy and quick to do for a single person. It's also by audience reaction/feedback - our latest AP has something like 46 comments on the site and a ton of referrer links because people really dig it. I used to spend weeks to edit a single radio play http://slangdesign.com/rppr/category/comedy/ab3-story/ but they don't compare to the hype that new APs get. I know I can't appeal to a lot of potential listeners because our production quality is too rough for them, but there's no fast or cheap way to improve that. It's frustrating to me that I can't reach out to people like you but I don't know how to get past that roadblock.

Yeah, editing a 3-5 hour session (or two 2.5-3 hours ones in my case) is a slog, and would eat up so much free time. Without someone with masses of free time, it would be an nightmare. The best most people can do is try and deal with the worst of it.

One thing that jumps to mind with RPPR (or at least, the Know Evil campaign) was the choppiness of audio levels - most of the talking is done at one volume, then you get "Mr Shouty" (I haven't listened to enough to get his real name) who makes my eardrums bleed every so often. I know I've got the internet based issue of background mike noise, but we are taking steps to work on it, and have just switched away from skype. We're having some robot voice issues, but overall, I like to think the last few sessions of Star Wars and Shadowurun have been better.

Then again, I did start listening to one this week from RPGMP3 where, and I kid you not, the first five minutes the GM had to fight against the sound of someone unpacking snacks.

Overall though, I love AP podcasts - as a GM, its always great to see other peoples methods of doing things - I'm a reactionary, let the crazy roll style of person, but I do love seeing the intricate planning some people put in - I sometimes wish I could do that, but my group broke Pendragon so badly. We were so far off script by the time Aurthur rolled up looking for his sword that they joined the bad guys, knocked out Aurthur, and stole Excalibur! I have given up planning more than a couple of sessions ahead, as you never know when you will have to introduce a drug smuggling section into Star Wars.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Serf posted:

Not that it means much, but I don't mind the "uhhhs" and whatnot. Never came across as being a bad thing, that's just a natural occurrence.

Yeah, people playing a RPG and making stuff up as they go along are always going to um an err. It's human nature.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

mikeycp posted:

If you're recording multiple people on your end, try out Discord. I've started using that for my VOIP RPG-ing lately and the sound quality difference between that and Skype is profound. It's also not p2p, so there is no problem of the host's internet going wonky and kicking everyone out of the call.

Only real negative I've found is that it doesn't have screenshare, which I have no idea if you use.

Yeah, we switched to Discord a couple of weeks ago, and it does seem to help.

Screenshare is not an issue, as we use Fantasy Grounds as a virtual tabletop.

clockworkjoe posted:

Aaron's definitely gotten better about his verbal tics, especially when you compare early games like the age of masks to his games now.

That's good - Although I'm only adding what I'm hoping is constructive criticism. I know none of us here are professionals.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

As an aside, you seem to have really gotten a lot of use out of Fantasy Grounds, it's kind of amazing. Does it ever get in your way to implement houserules using it?

Not really - at its core its a dice roller, screen sharing program with some nice extras built in (if you can find a ruleset for the game you are playing) - there are few house rules that can't be fixed by using the modifier bar.

I prefer it to roll20, but mainly becuase, if you play a popular system with a ruleset for it, it really cuts down the work . Also its not browser based, so I can do other things in the background without it showing on the screen! I do like things from Roll20 however - the built in soundboard is nice, and its better for maps and the like.

Its not free though - unless your GM is like me, and has paid out for the ultimate version. I've got my moneys worth from it though! Steam says I'm closing in on 300 hours, and I've been using it for a hell of a lot longer than it was on steam.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I keep forgetting to do this, but my group and I have just started a new campaign.

Rogue Trader - The Curse of the Black Sea.

A group of borderline heretical and massively xenos-tainted pirate Rogue Traders move to the expanse to try and rebuild the house. Half the group will be shot on sight by any inquisitor that sees them!

clockworkjoe posted:

BTW does anyone prefer using Youtube for actual plays over standard podcatching software/apps?

I do the MP3's and the Videos - but mainly as I use a lot of visuals in the game, especially for Star Wars which has a running selfie joke. (I hate how the default firefox dictionary has that word.) but I mostly listen to MP3's myself - mainly because I'm LPing something in the background, and can't spare the time to keep looking at another screen.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Have you heard about our Lord and Savior Grey Hunter?

I think the size of my head just broke my neck.

Very sorry I'm not on top of this Grey.

I should really post my own stuff when I start.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Yeah, I was looking for something beyond Grey. Love you as I do, I want more variety!

What! am I not already a good an measurable percentage of your daily/weekly entertainment? and now you crave variety?
You will take your RPG gruel equivalent and like it!

Fandible did some, a while back, but yeah, there are not many people braving the FFG 40k system. Its odd, as the massive spike in viewers I got when Black Sea started was noticable - so there are people out there who really like it, but not many people doing the podcasts.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It looks like the RRPR links to the New world campaign episodes 2-15 (the ones not on the main RSS) are broken. Just thought you'd like to know Clockworkjoe.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Remebering to shill our own stuff for once!

My group has just started a Dungeon Crawl Classic campaign!

A Murder of Peasants is the latest in our jokingly called "A Song of Lies and Eire" - following on from Pendragon and Dungeon world, a bunch of Level 0 nobodies are rounded up and sent to assault the beaches of Dover in William the Bastards (hopefully to become Conqueror) attempt to retake the British Isles from the King in Yellow.

I love it when Campaigns take you off to places you never thought you would be!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My group just started a Warhammer Fantasy 2nd edition campaign down in the border princes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQocjaoVCsI&t=25s

Session 1, learn the area a bit then go learn how deadly the combat system is!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

When my players realise they can chain spells, things get nice and crazy fast!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around Dungeon World and how to play it - I feel like I'd be lost without an explicit adventure to play - so I'm wondering if there's a good actual play of a Dungeon World campaign out there. I know TAZ just moved to a PbtA system, but it seems to be mostly narration and worldbuilding so far rather than actual goings-on. Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIEzDHE214o

Pimping my own stuff. We take a little time to get into it, but are running at full steam by the end.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I find the problem is to many games and not enough time - and that's with two nights a week!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Anyone ever do any Mutants and Masterminds APs? It seems the most popular super hero kinda game for it is Better Angels, an also very cool game, but I always thought M&M was a pretty popular game. Maybe it's just my circles though.

A month late, but my Group just starrted an M&M game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQMlso3Tu7Q

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Even most films/books are ripping the same ideas off each other, you just need to either inject a bit of uniqueness in, or steal from sommsny places at once that the players can't keep track of it all.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, When this thread got started there were no many youtube live games I think.

It's just a general actaul play thread now....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I keep my episodes to 25-30 mins. 2-3 hours is easy to edit, but can be a pain to watch/keep track of your place in.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I like campaign, but they do devolve into random sillyness a lot. Sometimes it's amazing an other times it's annoying.

This for someone who's Star Wars campaign includes making designer drugs for Hutts and ended with Chancellor Jar Jar Binks.... (Campaign 2 in the series is a second civil war, Hutts vs Republic.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

man there are just zero Star Wars RPG actual plays, huh? Campaign is off it and all I've found other then it that is updating and has any amount of audio quality and all has been Redemption, are there any others? I'll take D6, D20, FFG, whatever.

My group and I have done several ffg campaigns. Here is the latest.

Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - Get Rich or Jedi Trying: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6WX0yyxWfVQaYdhY9l-nzWiJpxdHC3OI

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Going live with our first session of Lancer rpg!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJboZs4d3DQ

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nice. I was looking for a good Lancer Actual Play!

I'm not sure if i'd go that far ;)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, over 50% of people don't even get through the first 60 seconds of a video. I doubt there are many series that gain viewers as they go.

The algorithm selects for things like single shot comedy videos, not long running series.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've just spent far too long cleaning up the audio of my 15 year old Rogue trader AP.

https://lairofthecroctapus.com/rogue-trader-hitting-the-machine-spirits-hard/

Now I've fallen into the trap of listening to my younger self having fun. It's a weird thing how I'm now able to hear my own voice without cringing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, I've just finished campaign one, and it's great.