Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Have some stream of consciousness pseudo reviews / list of Actual Play. I've been on a kick lately after realizing that I really don't like TAZ Season 2, and wanted something closer to Balance arc. So I went to find all of the D&D APs I could find from this thread and any time something new is mentioned in one of the other Pod Casts.

Podcasts found from this thread:
Dragon Friends: Already covered here but really funny and doesn't take the rules to seriously. S3 had a weak spot but it got better.
Critical Role: I listened to the first two episodes but think I'd rather watch it on youtube due to the production of it. Also the audio early on kind of blows.
Nerd Poker: Haven't listened yet
Roleplaying Public Radio
Six Feats Under

D20 Dames: Ok, not great. Mostly because the all female cast has some good problem solving that just isn't kill everything you see. The start of my realization that most AP podcasts have a great DM and one really bad player who often doesn't know the rules.
D&D is for Nerds: One of the only AP that I just deleted without finishing. There wasn't an interesting story and the DM mostly just wanted to punish the characters for existing. I really wanted to like this because it was funny but I couldn't.
Taking Initative: Very serious Curse of Strahd podcast with one annoying guy in it. Most serious of the APs that I've listened to with character death in a crap world.
You Meet in a Tavern: At first I thought this was just a TAZ clone with a newbie DM and some really annoying players but it grew on me. The DM became good with some nice twists in gameplay but the story is still TAZ derivative (Collect 7 powerful McGuffins that only the PCs can touch without being corrupted on behalf of a powerful organization with a secret home base!) The players act like Frat Bros and seem like bitter Travis during the end of act 2 of Balance. Despite saying all that I still like it.
Dungeon Drunks (AKA Dungeons & Dragons & Drunks) My current binge. I really like it but I'll probably need to pause to come back to it. Only AP that could make a 3 session shopping trip in Waterdeep be interesting I think.
Venture Maidens: Really good podcast that just didn't quite stick the landing
Dames and Dragons: Paused after the first season. Again Ok, and interestingly almost no combat, but the characters are too parody to be taken seriously.
The Dungeon Rats: Stopped during first episode due to poo poo audio, may try it again on youtube/twitch. Idea was twitch streams suggest traps/encounters and it gets incorporated into the show.
Dungeons & Dragons & Daughters: Father and twin 9 year olds play. Started first episode paused it and went back to Dungeon Drunks but will return.
Waterdeep Mountain High: Just started feels like Dragon Friends Lite. Australian Comedians in front of a live audience

Things on my list but I haven't even started yet:
The Broadswords
Critical Hit
Drunks & Dragons: Not to be confused with Dungeon Drunks or Dungeons & Dragons & Drunks
Glass Cannon
Not another D&D Podcast
North by North Quest

Anything I'm missing that's mostly 5e related with a long on going story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

inthesto posted:

I like D&D Is For Nerds. I would hate to play in a game run by Adam, but it's hilarious to watch him massacre his idiot players.

For my recommendations I would recommend Dungeon Rats (all improv team, DM isn't afraid to be silly, encounters are submitted by listeners) and Dumb-Dumbs & Dragons (one of the players drags out jokes way too hard, but the DM is fantastic at writing stories that integrates everyone)

Thing is I really liked the woman on D&D Is For Nerds. The second episode of the podcast when they're trying to figure out how to deal with an Orc Barracks and the DM and two male players are talking and for like a minute you just hear in the background, "Stab them in the neck? Stab them in the neck? Stab them in the neck?" totally sold me on it. But then after 30 more episodes where it really went nowhere I just got tired of them being shat on.

Does Dungeon Rats audio get better? I have a feeling that's one you can jump into at any point but where the podcast starts it was just absolute poo poo audio that I turned off.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Heliotrope posted:

Dust was pretty fun to listen to, but I have to admit it felt like Travis had an adventure in mind and liked the system so he decided to run it in that, even though it didn't really fit. If that's the kind of thing that bugs you you might want to skip Dust but if not you'll probably enjoy it.

(Also I have to admit I felt the ending of Dust had a really bad MCing moment from Travis where he undermined the players and it was super disappointing.)

MCing?

I also thought that dust like most Travis adventures were the highest railroading. But I also kinda fell off TAZ completely lately. Even though I got tickets this week for their Seattle show... I'm like 3 live episodes back and almost all of S2.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

It’s weak, but it’s worth the slog as far as the ultimate conclusion of balance.

It so had the best Travis bit of the whole show.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

NADPOD is very entertaining. The Elemental Chaos pre-crick jaunt was a little bit formulaic but still overall fun.

Jumping on here. I thought the middle wasn't great but episode 8 end of the first arc redeemed it and may have been one of my favorite AP episodes of all time. It really felt epic in a way that most others (TAZ excepted) don't. IE: It's better than Taking Initiative, Venture Maidens, You Meet In a Tavern, Dungeon Drunks, Dames & Dragons, D20 Dames, etc... Looking forward to seeing where it goes next.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Captain_Person posted:

I didn't really get into NADDPod - does it pick up after the first three or four episodes, or is it just not for me?

It took till 8 to really hook me. But that’s my opinion. If you did 4 and actively dislike it it’s probably not for you.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Catching up on the back episodes of NaDDPod I really should only do it when there's a full arc done... But just got to the episode with the Somethingawful shout out. That was weird. I know Dragon Friends have at least one goon among them, it shouldn't surprise me that a group of people who met at College Humor are also (or were also) goons but it did. I guess "Goons with a netflix show" is what's new to me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

I greatly appreciate how Murph goes "ok, that's a crazy loving plan; I love it so you'll get a definite benefit if it works". I do chafe a little at how quickly he forces the party to move from one story beat to the next, but I try to remember that NADDPOD is more analogous to Dragon Quest than Skyrim.

I think the alternative is worse. Consider Dungeon Drunks when they had a fight on 9/26/2018 in episode 136, and the next combat was in episode 155 on 3/3/2019. (And even that was what they fought ran away before end of combat.) That's 19 episodes over 6 months of just roleplaying without moving things along including a full month of just shopping in Waterdeep.

I used to really like Dungeon Drunks, now I just power through it once a year to see what they've done.

However for NADDPOD I also spool up all of them to binge through when a story is done so maybe it's just how I prefer to listen to things.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hipster Rooster posted:

I skimmed the last few pages and didn't see a mention of this, so:
What are your opinions of Dungeons & Daddies?

This thread got me to listen to it. Really good goofs that sometimes breaks out in a bad d&d game.

It’s on my comedy rotation not rpg rotation.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

timp posted:

idk, maybe, whatcha got? :smug:

Seriously though, pitch it; I’ve got NADDPOD and AaA shaped holes in my heart right now

What happened to Nadpod? I’m about a year behind.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Clowning posted:

Their campaign just ended a few days ago. But it seems like they'll be doing more stuff in the future.

Guess time to catch up. I hated being mid arc so I’d binge on an arc and put it down.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Drone posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for AP's that stick pretty hard to an established campaign setting? Thinking specifically of old and well-fleshed-out D&D settings like FR/Eberron/Dark Sun.

Ideally not ones that play published adventures in those settings, but who really try to engage with the world and the setting in a meaningful way.

My gaming experience is limited to Star Wars and Star Trek, both of which hew very close to an established lore, and I realised that most everything fantasy I've listened to has either taken place in a homebrew setting (Friends at the Table) or in a game where the setting ultimately doesn't matter (Nerd Poker).

Dungeon Drunks spends the first 5 episodes or so with Hoard of the Dragon queen but quickly do their own thing. It's very much steeped in FR.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hipster Rooster posted:

Are there any noteworthy Monster of the week - focused podcasts? I've seen there are plenty of them, but wanted to check out here first, if there are any to be wary of, or any that are particularly good?

I didn't hate the TAZ one, but it wasn't as good as it's predecessor.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Looking for a recommendation that's a bit different than most....

Is there an AP 5E Podcast with 'Smart' play? I mean something on the opposite side of The Adventure Zone and Dragon Friends where everyone knows the rules of the game and they play effective characters? Not gronad power gamers per say but just after binging a lot of DF I'd like a small break from 3 years as a Paladin, doesn't know that Lay Hands exists, and can cure Poisons.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'll check out the recommendations but while I'm only maybe 3/4ths through the first NADPOD campaign, it would up to the point I am be in the other camp, the times where Moonshine doesn't rage or doesn't take half damage when she does rage would erke me. (And again that's the problem from Dragon Friends why I was looking for something abit different, 2 campaigns with 2 Barbarians mostly taking full damage the whole time, or the # of times Freezo forgets what's a concentration spell after 5 years of playing. Or I'm not sure that I can ever recall the NADPOD S1 Paladin ever using Channel Divinity though I haven't listened for a few months.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I started listening to a podcast and bounced off it in E1 but been thinking of it lately...

5E podcast with a warforged barbarian as a PC. One of the RP conceits was going rage was a physical switch on the warforged that the warforged couldn't reach, and other PCs would have to give their action/bonus action to flick it for them to rage.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

A few years back I started a campaign that I gave up on and I'm looking for it now. I think it was recommended here. I don't remember anything about it, other than one of the characters was a Warforged Barbarian, and the conceit was that the 'rage' was a switch on his back that he couldn't physical reach and needed another character to activate. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

No to both. Was definitely in it from episode 1 and was pre pandemic but sometime 2019 or 2020 is when I listened. It started with them sneaking into a party as the help.

Edit: it is Join The Party campaign 1.

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 12, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

Isn't the big issue that people (especially nerds who listen to APs) want podcasts on RSS feeds for apps like Podcast Addict.

However as far as I know up until now with some of these APs you sign up for Patreon you get the premium RSS feed, but there's nothing stopping you right now cancelling the Patreon and still using the Patreon RSS feed. They've (GCN) never changed it as far as I am aware.

Of course the downside to moving to your own app is the annoyance for your customers that the feeds are no longer in the good podcast focussed app, now they gotta have a new (worse) app without all the advanced convenience features of Podcast Addict etc and then if 2-3 more podcast shows do it then it get's more difficult so get people to agree to it one app for GCP, one for Find the Path then another for Rude Tails of Magic or whatever.

However they've gotta know how many Patreon feed downloads they are getting versus how many Patreon subs they have, but they gotta balance that with how many people they'll lose if they switch.

That's not the case, Patreon feed literally has your email address you used to sign up in the URL, and when my credit card lapsed and I couldn't be arsed enough to update one of the premium RSS feeds stopped working.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I’m still of the opinion that it’s infinitely more enjoyable to play TTRPGs than it is to watch or listen to them. Something about watching some old greybeard DM drone on about uninteresting crap then go silent for a solid 30 seconds trying to look up the rules or fix their VTT after one of the players does some random half-attentive bullshit in a really bad accent bores the piss out of me. If I hear “um………..yeah I’m going to uh………………..gimme a sec…..[breathes heavily into mic] uhhhh what color is the horse?” one more time and it’s not my job to pay attention I’ll loving explode I swear.

Who hurt you? :(

And this might not be the best thread for you then unfortunately.

I'd also argue any AP that leaves any of that in isn't a very good AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Has there ever been a Chronicles of Amber / Lords of Gossamer & Shadow Actual Play?