Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Dr. Thorpe had some good ideas for revenue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

This got me pay to $10 however many years ago.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
If we could get maybe 75% of the forum users to stop posting, it would save bandwidth costs and be a lot more tolerable.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Real Answer: Find out which forums have the mosts posts from accounts that pay the most money.

Basically, assign every account a dollar value, then see how much of that dollar value is posting in each forum over the last 2 years, then break it down in to quarters.

Find your high spenders, and create a strategy around them.

Do we have a forum that has a poo poo load of traffic (like fyad) and no actual cash (like bfc)? Because that's a great forum to delete to save on bandwidth/servers while keeping cash flow the same.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

Real Answer: Find out which forums have the mosts posts from accounts that pay the most money.

Basically, assign every account a dollar value, then see how much of that dollar value is posting in each forum over the last 2 years, then break it down in to quarters.

Find your high spenders, and create a strategy around them.

Do we have a forum that has a poo poo load of traffic (like fyad) and no actual cash (like bfc)? Because that's a great forum to delete to save on bandwidth/servers while keeping cash flow the same.

That seems like a terrible idea. Wouldn't you just be leaving the forums that instigate the most bans? How would you figure out which forums are encouraging archives purchases? How do you know whether the high spenders are driven here by their posting behavior or their lurking behavior? Wouldn't that saved bandwidth just migrate to GBS? Is bandwith even a major cost driver?

If SA really does need money, monthly fees or more add-ons makes a lot more sense than trimming content.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Leviathan Song posted:

That seems like a terrible idea. Wouldn't you just be leaving the forums that instigate the most bans? How would you figure out which forums are encouraging archives purchases? How do you know whether the high spenders are driven here by their posting behavior or their lurking behavior? Wouldn't that saved bandwidth just migrate to GBS? Is bandwith even a major cost driver?

If SA really does need money, monthly fees or more add-ons makes a lot more sense than trimming content.

Pretty sure it was just BFC corporate-speak for "delete FYAD and GBS."

I've changed my mind and now think that we should adopt a F2P gaming model on the forum. You can make five posts per day, with an additional post recharging every 6 hours. If you'd like to post more often, you can buy new posts using GrenadeCoins, the forum currency. You can either buy those GrenadePoints with cash, or win them in the weekly Helldump tournaments.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 29, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

oh i'm sorry, you want "quality" not "money"

I didn't know we were living in a communist Bernie Sanders wet dream

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

No Butt Stuff posted:

Most of the costs associated with SA are essentially fixed costs, largely unconnected to the amount of traffic:
  • They own and operate their own hardware, so they don't scale hosting costs with traffic.

• Software maintenance is an un-ending and expensive pain in the rear end, because SA is a 15-year-old, heavily customized PHP application. This will not change with fewer users.

• Roughly $20k was spent on the serious outage in 2015. Paying for professional help on an emergency basis is never cheap, and future failures are no less likely. This cost also doesn't scale with the userbase. (Notably, I believe the forums depend on MyISAM, rather than a modern MySQL backend. That's a bad and dangerous configuration. And almost impossible to fix.)

All the easy costs have already been eliminated. SA has no permanent staff and no office. I think Lowtax lives in a cardboard box somewhere.

Running a business is not like your personal finances. Sometimes you really have no choice but to focus on the top line. SA needs more users and revenue, to make better use of the existing capital assets.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 2, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wouldn't new software and moving the forums off of Katrina-era hardware onto a cloud-hosted solution be a bit cheaper? I mean, if we're believing it costs thousands a month to run this place, then there has to be some costs that can be scaled down with as much bandwidth and computing power as there is available today.

I could also be full of poo poo because my job is just to take the engineers requirements and make sure they're fulfilled correctly.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

Wouldn't new software and moving the forums off of Katrina-era hardware onto a cloud-hosted solution be a bit cheaper? I mean, if we're believing it costs thousands a month to run this place, then there has to be some costs that can be scaled down with as much bandwidth and computing power as there is available today.

I could also be full of poo poo because my job is just to take the engineers requirements and make sure they're fulfilled correctly.

Well, who knows what kind of insane custom set-up you need to run the forums, but otherwise yes, probably.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'd imagine there would be a large one time cost for the move and Lowtax doesn't think it is worth the cost since it isn't like it would lead to a whole bunch of new registrations. Though a couple more downtime incidents might change that calculation.

BlessedBullet
Aug 18, 2007
How appropriate, you fight like a cow.
Goons are crazy trolls motivated enough to pay :10bux: unlike those 4chan/reddit poors. Do more crazy Eve-apocalypse level poo poo to drive attention --> registrations.

Drive people to SomethingAwful... find cool poo poo on forum, tweet it, drive them to forums to see the entire post.

There's probably better ideas out there if we understood goons better. What are the most popular/active forums by views/posts? Do a goon survey?

Sponsored posts on certain forums?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Gain status as a religion for tax exempt status.

Have goons take out life insurance policies and will them to SA.

Jonestown your way to wealth.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Commoners posted:

Gain status as a religion for tax exempt status.

Have goons take out life insurance policies and will them to SA.

Jonestown your way to wealth.

I'll drink to that.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

jabro posted:

This got me pay to $10 however many years ago.

Get a goon to design and program the next great piracy platform. BTB probably brought in an insane amount of money.

As much as I love SA, it's probably not going to be around much longer. It's and old an insular community where nothing exciting ever happens anymore.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

oRenj9 posted:

As much as I love SA, it's probably not going to be around much longer. It's and old an insular community where nothing exciting ever happens anymore.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Turn SA into a sham grantmaking charity. Pay out rhe minimum every year to ship bees amd friendly goats to Africa and float the forums on an.endowment.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I wish there were numbers on average age of user by year. I signed up when I was 20 almost solely because it was an older, more mature base that had some wisdom to dispense. Now I'm in that position and I don't see this being repeated.

this apparently was around the time Youtube launched; if we had just become a video sharing service lowtax would be a major GOP financier or something

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Invent blockchain-based forums and a thin web client. Let users pay for avatars/emotes/memberships/whatever with compute power.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Is there some way to turn SA into a ponzi scheme?

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Announce ipo. Might be 6 months too late for that though

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Create a crowd-funded space forums game and let users pledge up to $15,000 in digital server packs which give them virtual servers they can look at in a hangar, but only a few they can fly around in game (first person server administration available in two weeks).

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Raise money to permaban users.

Start with OP.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I'd imagine there would be a large one time cost for the move and Lowtax doesn't think it is worth the cost since it isn't like it would lead to a whole bunch of new registrations. Though a couple more downtime incidents might change that calculation.

Well that's one.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
One critical fix is to pay for a service provider that supplies internet connection.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Close the API, disable all current 3rd party mobile apps, develop mobile apps that either display ads or have a monthly fee ($1???)

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

oRenj9 posted:

Where is the offsite BFC going to be (serious post)? Someone set it up, I like this subforum a lot :kiddo:

Also please set up an SAS offsite too, thank you kindly in advance.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

District Selectman posted:

Where is the offsite BFC going to be (serious post)? Someone set it up, I like this subforum a lot :kiddo:

Also please set up an SAS offsite too, thank you kindly in advance.

BFC, SAS, and W&W need to be legacy forums.

There is an IRC channel on Synirc that serves as an SAS backup, #nfl

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Don't worry guys, I bought a lottery ticket. If everything goes according to plan, I'm going to solve all of our problems.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

oxsnard posted:

Close the API, disable all current 3rd party mobile apps, develop mobile apps that either display ads or have a monthly fee ($1???)

Is there an API? I thought the apps were just scraping data.

Lowtax could probably make a killing if he tried. I think it's an :effort: thing.

fake edit yeah it looks like they're paring the HTML: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/blob/master/Awful.apk/src/main/java/com/ferg/awfulapp/ForumDisplayFragment.java

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah at that point, disabling the apps would require a lot of dedication, because you'd have to be making subtle changes to url structure and element names or something like that on a regular basis, hoping that you're changing them often enough and in such a way that the app developer says "gently caress it" and stops updating it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Does it make me a bad person that I honestly think attaching SA to a sham charity as a kind of in-built donor pool is a good idea?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Knyteguy posted:

Lowtax could probably make a killing if he tried. I think it's an :effort: thing.

This. He probably makes just enough to be happy to not try that hard.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
$10 annual memberships

1. Pay for probations for other users ~($10 24hr, $50 1 week, $1000 - indefinite probation)
2. Pay for "bail" from paid probations (The same cost of the original paid probation)
3. $5/mo "probation insurance" on to of your annual membership fee to avoid having a user pay for your probation.
4. Pay me 5% for thinking of all this really good poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Custom post icons would be good and probably pretty easy, since Lowtax can already do it. New people is probably the best way to do it - SA doesn't have to be popular, but new users to replace those who leave would be good.

also, lol @ the OP

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Some sort of a reddit gold feature that is a monthly fee for some additional, but mostly useless features. Give people the ability to change avatars whenever, maybe switch the no-ads feature over to that and grandfather in the other people. I think a monthly fee just for membership would kill the forums dead.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

n8r posted:

I think a monthly fee just for membership would kill the forums dead.

Yeah, immediately. They'd need to be attached to something even more popular than they are, like a constant stream of tech news or something.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Build a time machine, bring everyone back to 2001. Make sure to bring the Gray's Sports Almanac with.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Nail Rat posted:

Build a time machine, bring everyone back to 2001. Make sure to bring the Gray's Sports Almanac with.

Before or after 9/11 and the 9/11 reg dates option, fellow netizen who registered just before I did (a while before 9/11)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ban everyone with a 9/11 reg date so we can all forget.

• Locked thread