Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I agree that Stodart seems like the most obvious suspect, apparently being the only one who even saw Blane and insisting on delivering the stock note.

However, the note was delivered at 7:40 and Stodart said he was in the lounge the whole time from 7:30 to 8:30, and that note was found on a table by the steward after he returned to Blane's room with Stodart. I think he would've noticed it if it was still on the floor by the door, so somebody must have moved it and it doesn't look like Stodart could have done it.

Unless he's working with Rocksavage (which is conveniently also a motive), of course, since the two said they were alone in the lounge for half an hour. Plenty of time to do whatever. Stodart could have even killed Blane right after getting on the boat and all he would've needed to do was move the note on to the table.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Nidoking posted:

They went down to the room together, Stodart and the steward.
I explained that a bit poorly. I meant the steward probably should have seen the note on the floor when he entered the room the first time, alone. Instead the first thing he saw was the "URGENT" letter somewhere in the room.

It's possible he just didn't notice it even though he entered the room to clean it up, but that seems a bit odd.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Was Blane ever actually aboard?

Good question, but that blood must have come from somewhere.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well the only slightly suspicious bit from this exposition that I can see was Rocksavage's maid passing by the pantry and Blane's cabin, seeing how Ferri's cabin is on the other side of the floor.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The possibility of the old switcheroo crossed my mind, but it didn't feel like there would be anything to gain from it.

I thought that somebody would recognize him sooner or later, but then again this is the 1930's.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, I doubt there was any confusion about who the Bishop meant, especially since he remarked Blane was looking "very much older" than he remembered. If Stodart is Blane, then judging by that picture he must have looked pretty young seven years ago.

Stoca Zola posted:

If I'd met someone once, seven years ago, I doubt I'd recognise them again!

Well, if the Bishop knew that a person he had met before was coming on board in Miami, then it probably wasn't all that difficult to recognize which one it was, even if he had remembered his face only faintly.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Blane's age is approximately 48, and according to Stodart he was looking for a secretary no older than 50. Alright then.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'd like to at least entertain the possibility that there never was a Nicholas Stodart in the first place.

Do you mean Stodart is a made-up identity for a real person who isn't Blane or that he was never in the ship? Because somebody entered the ship with Blane, according to Lady Welter and the Bishop. I wouldn't be too surprised if nobody actually died during the trip and "Stodart" is Blane, but it seems we're still missing a person.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
So, Blane fakes his own suicide while dropping clues that point to it being actually a murder, likely in order to make Rocksavage look like the culprit and causing his stocks to fall.

Then what? He lives as Stodart working for Argus? I guess if that's the plan then it'll turn out before long that Blane has prepared a will that hands the ownership of the company to Stodart or something to that effect.

I just don't know if it'd be dumb or hilarious if it turns out that the "real Stodart" was hiding in a closet somewhere this whole time.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The only item I can't figure out what it's for is the bottle of gum tragacanth. Tragacanth is an emulsifier... it's used as an ingredient in other preparations. I don't know why someone would have a bottle of it in their luggage, but it's not like I can imagine a nefarious use for it either.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8501358_diy-glue-false-teeth.html

Hahaha

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Maybe Kettering can't read Blane's handwriting either.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, I have nothing else to add either. The switcheroo is obvious enough but the motivation for that is as baffling as in the beginning, unless it really is as simple as Blane hating publicity (like he said in the "suicide note") so much that he'd rather fake his death and assume a new identity than be examined for bankruptcy.

Hayashi was certainly in on something about Blane's plot, maybe even coerced to work as an accomplice. For what end, no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Bolitho Blane posted:

Mr. Blane's depression was so great at times that I had grave doubts as to his sanity.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Not the most finely-crafted mystery, but at any rate, this was a lot of fun. 5/5 would participate again.

• Locked thread