Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Monolith. posted:

Alright so what's the fastest way to get my characters' stat numbers up because apparently they only gain levels and mana in the not in battle squad.

...what? You're not leveling at all?

This can only mean that you set the EXP and Mana Slider at the Cheat Shop to 0%... Otherwise, no idea what's happening with your game

Speaking of that, does the Cheat Shop apply to the Not-In-Battle Squad (I think its Defense Outpost)? That would explain how the dudes I put in there at Lv10 eventually ended up at Lv9999...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

...what? You're not leveling at all?

This can only mean that you set the EXP and Mana Slider at the Cheat Shop to 0%... Otherwise, no idea what's happening with your game

Speaking of that, does the Cheat Shop apply to the Not-In-Battle Squad (I think its Defense Outpost)? That would explain how the dudes I put in there at Lv10 eventually ended up at Lv9999...

I think they mean the Defense Outpost squad is only giving the characters in it levels and mana, they aren't gaining stats. And I've never actually used that to level up a character so I can't say if that's what's supposed to be happening.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OK so I opened up the carnage dimension finally after a bit of a break. Now my level ~1000 guys struggle to kill level 200 Prinnys and I am confused where I am supposed to go in order to progress my number growing.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Erg posted:

I think they mean the Defense Outpost squad is only giving the characters in it levels and mana, they aren't gaining stats. And I've never actually used that to level up a character so I can't say if that's what's supposed to be happening.

You would be correct. I guess your stats don't improve at all if in that squad

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Furnaceface posted:

OK so I opened up the carnage dimension finally after a bit of a break. Now my level ~1000 guys struggle to kill level 200 Prinnys and I am confused where I am supposed to go in order to progress my number growing.

It's been a bit since I put this game down but I think your next step is to start mastering classes. There's an evility you get from I think the Eryngi class that makes you get items when you get hit, put it on and head to a carnage level and hope to get a rank 39 carnage item, set cheat shop to max enemy level and enter that item with characters that have geo blast and have them blast symbols to gain class mastery quickly, with a puncher to move the exit sentry and the alchemy shop churning out Gencys. Master all classes on at least one character and reincarnate them, level back up with the 10% stat boosting evilities and the Elite Four squad so you'll hit the cap by level 9999 and they'll have no problem handling most things carnage dimension will throw at you.

After that you'll need to collect shards/extracts to cap that out as well, so the best character to max first might be a generic Sage or if you have the DLC I think it's Marjorly that has the easy capturing method but google is being dumb and won't verify that for me

Edit: No, Metallia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oVDSh_5c7A

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So are any of the DLC campaigns notably good or bad in terms of actually being a chapter of the game? Well designed maps, funny writing, etc? I am probably going to start playing this again and I am currently at the point where I have no new maps besides the Item World.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

So are any of the DLC campaigns notably good or bad in terms of actually being a chapter of the game? Well designed maps, funny writing, etc? I am probably going to start playing this again and I am currently at the point where I have no new maps besides the Item World.

Each chapter has 3 stories and maps. The one with Valvatorez gave me a run for my money once he activated his overlord skill. Other than that, they are little stories that give some extra time with the characters from the previous games. It did sell me on Disgaea 4 just experiencing those two missions.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Disgaea is coming to steam? Such a shame its only the first one, will have to buy so hopefully all could be ported in the future.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Disgaea better be the PSP version, these games are the purest example of how quality of life improvements greatly enhance the fun.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Annointed posted:

Disgaea better be the PSP version, these games are the purest example of how quality of life improvements greatly enhance the fun.

Its the PSP version.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

New to Disgaea PC (It's not just a port!):
Updated UI and textures
Keyboard/Mouse and controller support
Includes all content from Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
New Steam features, such as Achievements, Cloud Saves, Badges, and trading cards

Per the steam page. What I will be interested to see is if modding ends up happening. Custom maps and such would be cool.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

projecthalaxy posted:

Updated UI and textures
New Steam features, such as Achievements, Cloud Saves, Badges, and trading cards

Per the steam page. What I will be interested to see is if modding ends up happening. Custom maps and such would be cool.

Custom maps are cool and all but I would love to see them bust the game open entirely for modding. New class packs, adjust battle calculations, the ability to jury-rig some of the later games' features, maybe those crazy awesome modders can even make entirely new campaigns and such. There's several games that completely blow the lid off when mods come into play and they're ten thousand percent better for it, so that could be really drat interesting depending on the implementation.

Which means there won't be any modding. :sigh:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Well, it drops on Wednesday so we will see if anything is to be done with it soon. It would have to be a pretty great mod scene to get me to buy Disgaea 1 for the fifth time.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Disgaea 5 question: I just unlocked Martial Training 5 and gently caress me I can't do anything there. For some reason my level ~700 guys can't touch these goddamn level 400 enemies. Are there hints to this? This is stumping me.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Get someone good with fist weapons and use your strongest attack. I used Killia for his Macrocosm.

Have Usalia magichange onto your character, you now get her Evility of getting additional attack for each ally around you. Then if that isn't enough put Celestial Hosts I think it is, who boost the attack of each ally adjacent to them by 25%, and put as many as you can around your character.

Once you are able to kill the things you get tons of EXP for them though, it's just they are lucky boards so you have to be able to one shot them or you can't hurt them.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

You should also have as many characters as possible attack some target first to boost your combo multiplier. A 3.0 multiplier seriously makes a HUGE difference when you're trying to break into Martial Training. Just, uuuuuh... Make sure they attack with bows or guns when you try to pull this trick with enemies that can actually counter you. If possible, you should use characters with the Support evility for this (Archers get it by default, everybody else by mastering Archers) so that you need less characters to reach 3.0 combo multiplier.

Looking back on it, I think trying to overcome Martial Training and the first stages of Carnage Dimension was the greatest fun I've had with a Disgaea game. You're hopelessly underpowered, your grinding isn't really effective yet, and you pull every dirty trick in the book to get ahead. The best fights are those where you stubbornly refuse to grind because I can do this already NOW dammit :mad:

But now I've beaten Baal, and all that remains is... beefing up all the ultimate weapons with endless Item World, duping them for my whole team, duping more Trapezohedrons than I already did, and... Chara world. And getting enough Carnage Elixirs to get a ridiculous Curry that'll allow me to have enough HP for Carnage Baal, because otherwise, my stats are good (got three characters with max values everywhere but HP, and ~7 characters that are almost there...).
I'm losing motivation...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

Updated UI and textures

Totally playable with the mouse so far, but the character blur, SSAO and edge/depth of field blur are utterly useless. Controller apparently works, but the onscreen prompts don't change. V-sync apparently tanks framerates, but I was getting 40+ on a bunch of screens, so YMMV.

Developers are apparently scrambling for information, but the problems appear to be fairly consistent. Not a great port, all in all.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I have a question about Disgaea 4. I just picked it up, and I was wondering if any of the DLC is essential?

Edit: It's for PS3.

Watrick fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 3, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Watrick posted:

I have a question about Disgaea 4. I just picked it up, and I was wondering if any of the DLC is essential?

If you got the Vita version than you should have all the DLC included with it. It just gets unlocked through passing a bill

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Whoops, I should have

Erg posted:

If you got the Vita version than you should have all the DLC included with it. It just gets unlocked through passing a bill

Oh, I had no idea. I picked up the PS3 version. Thanks for that info though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm in the very early game, and should I be spending my money on recruiting new, higher-level characters instead of trying to train up level 4s and such? It seems like a much more efficient use of my time and money.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

You will soon find any hel cost will be irrelevant very quick. Just buy whatever makes you happy.

Also I think I went through the main game only ever using the main characters. Killia and Magnus are beasts

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

See I really like the idea of using the generics, I like putting together characters I can come up with little stories for. But the uniques are just better and more interesting units all around :(

In related news, should I get DLC characters/episodes at the beginning, or at the postgame?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I got them as soon as I could since I love Zetta and Valvatorez

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The DLCs scale to your game progress, so you can activate them at any time and they will be a little harder than the regular missions you're facing.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
As for DLC characters, the "Witch one who swears a lot" is hugely overpowered if you need to give yourself a hand starting the grind.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Honestly I think the best part of doing the DLC is to see the mainline series ones. D5's were the first that really felt like they were all post-series and you were seeing how all the characters were doing now that their plots were over.

...Just ignore the wonky as hell chronology.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Kris xK posted:

As for DLC characters, the "Witch one who swears a lot" is hugely overpowered if you need to give yourself a hand starting the grind.

She's also super useful for grinding asagi at the start

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There are now a shitload of rabbits wandering around my base. I think I'm playing this game right after all!

edit: Oh dammit, how am I supposed to get Maids up to rank 3 when I've barely touched the one I started with :gonk: I've got to be overthinking this.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 10, 2016

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Pollyanna posted:

There are now a shitload of rabbits wandering around my base. I think I'm playing this game right after all!

edit: Oh dammit, how am I supposed to get Maids up to rank 3 when I've barely touched the one I started with :gonk: I've got to be overthinking this.

Have her use healing items on higher-level characters.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

If im running the cheat shop at 200% XP and kill an enemy while standing on a 100% XP Geo panel do I get 300% or 400%?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

If im running the cheat shop at 200% XP and kill an enemy while standing on a 100% XP Geo panel do I get 300% or 400%?
If you have the cheat shop set to 0% in that scenario, you get nothing, so by that reasoning it should be 400%.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 11, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Did they change the Item World for D5? It's not as mind-numbing and insane as in previous games...so far. Maybe I'm imagining it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I dunno, Item World seems about the same to me. You actually have to clear the floor in this one even

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It seems like the maps are smaller and there are less, and easier, enemies than before. Although that might change with higher level items.

I wish there was a way to, like, automate Item World diving, though.

edit: Also, is it just me, or are the DLC character's Japanese voices wayyyyyy louder than the non-DLC characters'?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 12, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Another Q. I'm at the point where I'm training a Sage up for subclass masteries. Am I supposed to master literally all of the subclasses? There's like 40 of them :pwn:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Just the ones that matter for evilities, really. Even then once you get some good EXP boosting going on it doesn't take that long, really.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Pollyanna posted:

Another Q. I'm at the point where I'm training a Sage up for subclass masteries. Am I supposed to master literally all of the subclasses? There's like 40 of them :pwn:

It's really not as bad as it sounds, it's pretty much a few runs of carnage final martial training or the carnage asagi level, a few kills in a medium to high rank land of carnage item or destroy some geo symbols via geo blast in a high rank land of carnage item.

Took me maybe 20 minutes to max all the classes on Killia.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Just the ones that matter for evilities, really. Even then once you get some good EXP boosting going on it doesn't take that long, really.

I'd imagine he's doing it for the stat boosts, in which case yes you do have to max all 40. I would wait until your in the carnage dimension where you can max a class per map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Wait until you are end game. Then you get a carnage world soda drink, max the enemy levels, and geo blast a geo block, then warp out. You max a subclass in like 2 or 3 trips, so it's not too hard.

Doing it before then however? gently caress that.

But yes you need to max all of them for the stat boost

• Locked thread