Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

ColoradoCleric posted:

Lol if you think anyone in DnD understands economic policy

Always go more left Keynes is good so just nationalizing everything is even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Veskit posted:

I don't know if anyone does or doesn't, but if you do and you have an area of expertise let me know cause I'll have questions at least! Especially with inflation.

Well, ask before this turns into another marxism thread, I might as well see if I'm able to answer it

Typo fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 28, 2015

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Veskit posted:

What's a reasonable amount of inflation that the US market could tolerate in the sense of not collapse everything
LIke, actual collapse? Well north of 10% if the 1970s was any indication, of course this level of inflation is awfully unstable and suboptimal for growth and stability. Most economist believe that 2-4% inflation is optimal.

quote:

and wouldn't it be a way bigger gently caress you to the top 1% than to the wages of the many that it'd slightly downgrade through their effective wages?
No, because rich people can buy assets which don't lose value with inflation. If I buy a house for example, it's value doesn't decrease when the value of cash depreciates.

quote:

What would happened if Obama came in and gave a target of 5% inflation over the year?

Besides, the whole he doesn't control inflation thing, the big question is whether you can even reach 5% inflation per year.

Japan has being trying to induce inflation for over a decade with no success.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Veskit posted:

But wouldn't everyone with a large loan (like a bad mortgage) then in theory have a much easier time paying it off over the course of years and long term investments get wrecked by inflation?
I think nowadays it depends because your mortgage could be tied to the market interest rate, which would rise if inflation rises so how much you have to pay would increase with the inflation rate. But yes, in general inflation benefits debtors at the expense of creditors.

quote:

Also it should help with unemployment? Don't the large banking institutions and financial sectors want low inflation?

In theory, yes inflation helps with unemployment, but it's not an ironclad law anymore. The entire phenomenon of stagflation in the 1970s was high rate of inflation and high rate unemployment existing simultaneously and thus demonstrating that the old philip's curve (which states that there is a straight trade-off between employment and inflation) is faulty. But int he current economic climate yes, inflation would help with unemployment.

The big problem is that just because central bank wants inflation, doesn't mean that it appears. Japan for instance aggressively pushed monetary expansion in the 1990s, but all everybody did with the money was put it into savings accounts instead of buying consumer goods with it. Thus you don't get inflation even when you print money.

Typo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 28, 2015

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Veskit posted:

So is the best monetary policy to use to curb a wealth gap between the top and bottom inflation because it'd devalue the items that have generated this wealth
If you are a rich guy who's 1% because you own an oil field or something, inflation is not going to decrease the value of your oil field. If you stocks in microsoft, the value of the stocks don't drop with inflation.

Inflation essentially depreciates liquid savings and assets, which poor people are going to hold a lot more than rich people as a percentage of their total net worth. In that sense, an overly high rate of inflation hurts the poor more than the rich.

quote:

and because marginal propensity to save that the lower income brackets is so low? (at least in america) Or do you run into the problem of getting the money downstream? Or is there a way to do it that I'm missing?

Marginal propensity to save don't matter as much as the way people choose to save: poor people rarely have diversified stock portfolios and holds their savings in cash, rich people tend to have their savings in things that are not cash and hence don't get devalued with inflation.

Typo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 28, 2015

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cicero posted:

Yeah. Seems like when you're starting out dirt poor, initial gains are relatively easy, you're getting all the low-hanging fruit, plus you can copy the examples of countries who industrialized before and learn from their mistakes. The closer you get to the cutting edge, the harder it gets to eke out more progress.

This is an actual economic concept known as convergence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergence_(economics)

This is why Cambodia has 10% annual growth whereas the US would have trouble pulling 4%

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

icantfindaname posted:

This only works if you assume away the fact that poor countries have lovely institutions which prevent them from growing properly.

Poor countries with really awful institutions grow pretty fast too, India and Egypt pre-2011 are two examples.

quote:

Latin America has been stagnant relative to the top tier developed countries for decades and decades, for example
Yes, but that's also because Latin American countries are pretty rich relative to the world average.

Argentina, which is arguably the best example of lost economic potential in Latin America, is pretty much a first world country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

CommieGIR posted:

Juicing is a different way of saying "Cooking the books"

China masks actual growth numbers with artificial economic stimulation.

I don't think even the Chinese central government knows how fast the country is actually growing because local officials have an incentive to inflate growth figures so they get promoted.

• Locked thread