Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The death tax punishes families for achieving the American dream.
The American dream is death? :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

I was watching John Oliver and remembered reading about demographics and how Europe/japan/korea is going to be a disaster because nobody will have babies.

Has fiscal policy been successful in any meaningful way in increasing fertility rates?
Looking at birth rates across the world, it seems like the best fiscal strategy for increasing them is "increase inequality and massively defund health and education". It does seem like some governments in Europe are toying with this, but I'd rather they didn't.

Like GulMadred said though, being as there are still areas of the world with high birth rates, it would be easier and more pleasant to import more immigrants than to defund health and education or bribe/pressure people to breed more. Racists and nationalists don't like it but lol.

Although is it really that much of a disaster if the population declines? It reduces pressure on housing stock and resource consumption, and a government not preoccupied with maintaining a permanent unemployed underclass could pay more for people to care for their older relatives.

It might not be fair to do this while other countries still suffer with increasing populations, but it could work when population decline becomes a worldwide thing, which it hopefully will as health, education, women's rights, and access to contraception become more well spread.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As I said, the ideal situation would be that there would be a declining population in all countries as as health, education, women's rights, and access to contraception become more wide spread, but is it really fair for the countries with declining populations to sit back while other places' populations grow?
I suppose through fiscal policy Europe could directly fund healthcare and education in the places with unsustainable demographic growth, which would rectify it as a consequence. Would you consider that to be unfair?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

icantfindaname posted:

pictured: no fundamental economic problem preventing growth:

The idea is that long-term demographics for all countries not big enough and wealthy enough to attract human capital from abroad (basically everyone not named the US and possibly the UK) will kill off growth

More generally though you still haven't really addressed the fact that almost all of the growth in the last few decades has been in China, whose export strategy is not generally repeatable by the rest of the developing world, and even with that export crutch Chinese growth still seems to be dying
Isn't it more important how much each person has rather than how much growth each country has?

Like, capital demands growth, and you could theoretically deliver overall growth by forced breeding, wage slavery, and mandatory consumption, but I think we can agree that would be a pretty bad thing even if it delivered results. Much like under mercantilism you could secure ongoing growth by a process of stealing other people's poo poo.

Current thinking demands a constantly increasing population to deliver constantly increasing growth, but that must logically have a limit somewhere, and if increasing the population means that there are more people who have less then it's not what I'd call a good system.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

asdf32 posted:

This is the type of financial junk that makes zero sense. If we could force growth we'd already be doing it all the time and if mandatory consumption were beneficial we'd print money and mail it to people but we don't for a myriad reasons.
I'd hope we wouldn't if the only ways of doing it were abhorrent, although I suppose there's always going to be societies that try to prove me wrong on that one.

That's not addressing the main thrust though: Is overall growth (both economic and population) desirable if it means that each person overall is worse off? Would overall economic decline be okay if it was accompanied by population decline such that each person is better off?

• Locked thread