Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

e_angst posted:

I think encouraging home ownership isn't a bad thing. But the amount they let you deduct is kind of crazy and probably skews things too far. Combine it with other policies that incentivize home ownership (like California's Proposition 13) and you end up with a really hosed up market.

Also, there are definitely a lot of middle-class people who don't realize (or at least don't admit) that they are paying the same tax rate as the working poor because of that deduction. Hell, I'm single and pulled around $60k last year. My effective tax rate should have been a little over 18%, but I ended up barely paying 12% (and the refund check I got was much, much bigger than anything I ever got a decade ago, when I was living near the poverty line on two part-time jobs).

Most middle and upper class people won't admit what their effective tax rate because doing so would undermine all the reasons to poo poo on the poor and talk about how they are paying for the poor, etc. The progressiveness of our tax structure is assumed in all political discussions (as a reason to lower taxes on the rich/business) but doesn't exist anymore in reality, except for very specific circumstances. And then add in poo poo like this (everyone that I know at a startup or who was at a startup, all regular low/mid-level employees did the same trick to get options in to a Roth free and clear):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2012/03/20/how-facebook-billionaires-dodge-mega-millions-in-taxes/

But yes, removing the mortgage interest deduction would restore some of the progressive nature the tax system is supposed to have. It'd also cause an instant an immediate backlash against whoever did it, and would be something only to do after treating capital gains like regular income instead of special bullshit (or worse, tax free at the federal level), actually taxing corporations, and ending the more insane tax shelters that cause real effective tax rates on the rich to be vastly lower than people who make normal amounts of income. About the only way I could see it happening is much like what I've said for removing Prop 13 - a phase out at a time of known housing price increases (as a result of massive lowering of interest rates or something). Even then the political attack ads write themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Veskit posted:

Wait you can dogpile a bunch of cheap rear end shares from a start up into a roth ira? Am I understanding that correctly?

Options, not shares. I haven't done it myself (and am not a lawyer nor is this advice, but if you are in a startup I'd inquire with the right people), but as explained to me, startups have a set valuation schedule of sorts - share price and thus option value is not bound by any sort of market so reported worth of said securities is more what's declared by the company rather than a market. You can take stock options worth 'nothing' or close to it, and transfer said securities in to a Roth or other vehicle rather than cash, or something to that effect but the end result is getting out of the income tax and lots of money in to tax-advantaged account. Then later they are worth a shitload more money, which you can build on after that. There's some other method where you fill out some IRS form where you basically pay taxes on the options that are worth nothing (now), and then later when you sell them it's long-term capital gains rather than normal income (note that CA doesn't recognize the distinction, so they still pay the 9-13%).

It's something similar to what Romney did to make at most 30k a year in contributions turn in to way the gently caress more than that: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/whats-really-going-on-with-mitt-romneys-102-million-ira/261500/

• Locked thread