Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The contrast between Latin America and Eastern Europe, including Turkey, is quite illustrative of the main problem facing these countries, I think. Eastern Europe has been doing really well, almost invariably, since the fall of the Iron Curtain, and especially since the beginning of their EEC association. Latin America in contrast has been generally struggling, for decades, to get out of stagnation.

There are some apparent possible causes, like different structural paths of development, but the truth is that even countries that didn't rely on e.g. the structural shortcut (i.e. skipping to a service economy without having prior extensive industrial economy), that is mostly countries influenced by the doctrine of Latin American structuralism (Celso Furtado etc.), and which as a result followed a path similar to that of Eastern European countries before the 1990s (national interventionism in preferred industries with little focus on securing foreign investments and emphasis on income distribution), saw themselves falling into one crisis after another. So what is the key difference between the winners and losers in this middle income category?

I'd argue it's a systematic predisposition for protectionism in the Latin American countries, borne arguably out of the structuralist legacy and intrenched in institutional path dependency, vs. dedication to open markets in Eastern Europe, Turkey etc., even if such dedication had to be enforced from above, by intergovernmental and supranational processes.

Can you go into more detail about this? I was under the impression that it was protectionism, and pretty heavy-handed protectionism at that, which allowed places like Taiwan, Korea and Japan to get to where they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Didn't the chaebols have a stranglehold on internal markets for a long enough while to be considered to be practicing 'import substitution'? At what point were they exposed to global competition?

• Locked thread