Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The gold standard is considered a form of tight money policy, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has there ever been any situation where high interest rates have led to job growth?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

They might have existed at the same time but I doubt there's any mechanism where raising interest rates also decreases unemployment.

asdf32 posted:

The intention is to stabilize the economy to prevent a future bust. That's the main benefit. Job growth isn't really it.

So is it safe to say that it's nearly impossible to have good job growth without reasonably low interest rates?

Cause I would think this would be a fairly easy way to rebut conservative claims that tight money is good for the economy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

In an interview a couple of years ago, Bill Clinton said that he didn't regret signing Glass-Steagall but did regret signing the 2000 Commodities Modernization Act which deregulated derivatives. If we're going to do something to prevent another crash, might be better to look into that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

Apparently he's really serious about ending deductions and loopholes and he intends to start taxing churches and hospitals at standard rates!

Did he actually say that? I know he came out saying that he definitely supports getting rid of the AMT, which should be fun to see in the next few weeks.

• Locked thread