Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
So there's a lot of economic crazyness going on around the world right now that is fairly unprecedented. The US is lending money effectively for free, China is exploding and collapsing, the EU is incredibly experimental and waiting to more than likely fail. Around the boards though a lot of chat turns into political chat about who did what, and how this country did whatever, and not a lot of talk about the two probably sexiest tools for economics, fiscal and monetary policy.

(A good video to catch you up to speed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGQBvDt3BqI

(Supplementary videos if you want)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

So basically I wanted to have a thread where we can take out a lot of the show of what happens in politics, and talk purely about countries specific fiscal/monetary policies, theories on what would and wouldn't work, and how we can solve real issues in the world using these tools. Or hell if you could.

Good things to ask

• Would increasing the money supply help poverty or give the rich more money
  • What will austerity cuts do to Greece's overall economy
  • What would a tax structure under (insert candidate here) look like and how would it affect the (insert specific topic here such as the rich, the overall economy of, dogs SOMETHING)
  • Keynes won right?
  • This is how Keynes lost
  • Here's a cool story/economist and what they thought

Bad things to ask

• Anything too political. This should be a thread to talk about monetary policy, not how the Greeks are portrayed to Europe, or how Jeb! bush hates the poor , or how deutsche bank is literally the puppetmaster behind all that is awful in this world and they actually do control the eurozone with their power, but instead keep it to something like how much influence these things have, or ask what is happening and how to stop it from a monetary/fiscal policy point of view.
  • The affect on the stock market or any other terrible economic indicator.
  • Any source from before a computer was made. Maybe for historical reasons but no citing the wealth of nations or the general theory of interest and money w/r/t a modern day argument.

So talk about it here, keep it nice, teach people and ask questions, keep your arguments or points all things equal I understand that politics and this go hand in hand, but try to keep politics out of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Favorite Books

Saving Capitalism: For the Many, Not the Few- A book on how to change the rules and regulations to work for the middle class

Favorite Videos

Mark Blyth on the Dangers of Austerity Politics Especially Against the Middle Class
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

Favorite Links

Alan Kruger on how a $15 Minimum Wage Could be Dangerous
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/opinion/sunday/the-minimum-wage-how-much-is-too-much.html?_r=0

Short Read on how Money is Created
http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/2014/qb14q1prereleasemoneycreation.pdf

Veskit fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 18, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

So how do I, a typical us citizen, get my hands on a free loan?

Get a subsidized student loan! Or get a loan in a market that needs to have its demand increased. A good example was the beginning of the housing market in which we needed to get more americans into homes, so we did so by decreasing the loan rate and increasing the money supply. Though because there was no inflation something had to go up, which ended up being housing prices.

Long of the short of it is that free loans will always exist in markets in which they need to increase demand.

McDowell posted:

Keynes won. In 2000/2001 we had a recession and the Enron / Arthur Anderson scandal. The Bush Administration papered over the problems with deficit spending (and the <1% Federal Reserve Rate) on the glorious jihad of freedom :911: When all the cooked books finally imploded in 2008 they passed TARP to balance the sheets.

Keynes probably won, but I'd be curious to see a good argument against it here.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ColoradoCleric posted:

Lol if you think anyone in DnD understands economic policy

I don't know if anyone does or doesn't, but if you do and you have an area of expertise let me know cause I'll have questions at least! Especially with inflation.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Typo posted:

Well, shoot, I might as well see if I'm able to answer it

What's a reasonable amount of inflation that the US market could tolerate in the sense of not collapse everything, and wouldn't it be a way bigger gently caress you to the top 1% than to the wages of the many that it'd slightly downgrade through their effective wages?

What would happened if Obama came in and gave a target of 5% inflation over the year?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

Nothing because he doesn't have that authority over the Fed

:downs:

I don't know where i got in my head that the president sets a target rate that the feds are more than welcome to ignore. You could change the question to "with influence".

Typo posted:

Besides, the whole he doesn't control inflation thing, the big question is whether you can even reach 5% inflation per year.

But wouldn't everyone with a large loan (like a bad mortgage) then in theory have a much easier time paying it off over the course of years and long term investments get wrecked by inflation? Also it should help with unemployment? Don't the large banking institutions and financial sectors want low inflation?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

So is the best monetary policy to use to curb a wealth gap between the top and bottom inflation because it'd devalue the items that have generated this wealth, and because marginal propensity to save that the lower income brackets is so low? (at least in america) Or do you run into the problem of getting the money downstream? Or is there a way to do it that I'm missing?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

What markets need an increase in demand? Rather, how do I determine if a market needs demand?

If you're actually curious then go to BFC and they'll be able to help you because that ends up being on a really micro level and not about making money or taking money, but technically green initiatives are being pushed through loan programs so there's an unmet demand there.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Trump came out with his new yuuuge and glorious tax plan and it looks dangerously appealing to everyone involved except the mega rich. However on paper it seems ok from a republican standpoint, how enforceable is this plan? If implemented would it increase governmental revenue since most taxes are paid by the top anyway? From a brief look it looks insanely unenforceable to expect that you can collect on it, and the lack of corporate taxes seems really dangerous.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/tax-reform

(please keep it fiscal not political)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

According to the website it's designed to be revenue neutral (which is the latest tax reform buzzword) so it wouldn't grow revenue. The repatriation rate is also ridiculous.

e: also it would be very appealing to the mega-rich since it reduces the top tax rate from 39.6% to 25%

The mega rich don't ever pay 39 so I'm guessing he'll have to ante up how he plans to collect.

Also what the gently caress is a repatriation tax I can't even figure it out looking it up :psyduck:

Ardennes posted:

One thing it is likely there is going to a greatly increased deficit from the plan even if it populist to some degree.

It's a weird republican plan for sure.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

The problem is that there really isn't much sense in trying to shrink the wealth gap by monetary policy when there are far better tools to use. In fact, by limiting the debate as you have done, you're also severely limiting the available topics than can be meaningfully discussed, because monetary policy is only one part of our political-economical system. Not to say that you're wrong in limiting the topic, but one needs to keep the drawbacks of that approach in mind.

That was me being selfish in trying to understand from that side what you can do. There a lot of tools on the fiscal policy side however, though if you'd like to talk about some of the underutilized ones or more inventive I'm all ears, especially if you talk about the where to put in fiscal policy. Individuals vs corporations, consumption vs income ect ect.

I'm not here to lead the conversation or try to stifle it you're all encouraged to talk about whatever just keep it fiscal/monetary!

Veskit fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 28, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

With interest rates as low as they are and a growing economy why should we care about the deficit that much when we can print free money to cover it and just debt our way to success?

As long as GDP is on the rise would a plan like this "work"?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

They don't. Fiscal policy is a tool with which to gain electoral advantage.

Despite your best efforts, there is no way to discuss fiscal policy without introducing ideology and political motivations.

Ohhh you can talk about ideology and political motivations that's fine. Just don't turn it into a repbulican/democrat bullshit fight about what they believe, rather go this is how their beliefs are going to work/not work out based off of fiscal/monetary policy

Good - These taxes won't work out because the republican base won't allow for taxes to be rasied and the defecit will run wild
Bad - Republicans suck and want to eat children for more money

Good - Democrats are going to have a hard time collecting taxes from the corporations when they implement this policy
bad - Democrats like raising taxes too much and I like my money

If you see the line it makes sense how this thread *should* work and why it's different from the other political chat

Badger of Basra posted:

Such a policy has been labeled "unserious" in most of the developed world, so whether it would work or not is irrelevant because no one is going to do it. A lot of economists and policy people would agree that if your interest rates for debt are rock bottom you should be issuing more debt to take advantage, since it won't be any cheaper in the future.

Is there a crafty way to sell to the public on issuing debt? How would it work if the Federal government wanted to issue public bonds for infrastructure? Do we already do that I can't remember if it's a federal thing or not to specify the bonds.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

So at first blush it appears to be cut out of the same cloth that the rest of the Republican candidates - throw in a tax cut for the middle class to sell a tax cut for the rich, then claim it's revenue neutral without providing any actual details as to how it's possible.

Don't ever take anybody's tax plan at face value, basically. While they all tend to be overly optimistic regardless of party or ideology, some rely more heavily on smoke and mirrors than others.

I was legitimately hoping Trump would be one of the few to actually come out with a plan or idea that taxes the rich more. Sad because the rest of the tax brackets are crazy low, and no taxes on 25k and under is substantial.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I was watching John Oliver and remembered reading about demographics and how Europe/japan/korea is going to be a disaster because nobody will have babies.

Has fiscal policy been successful in any meaningful way in increasing fertility rates?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Looking at birth rates across the world, it seems like the best fiscal strategy for increasing them is "increase inequality and massively defund health and education". It does seem like some governments in Europe are toying with this, but I'd rather they didn't.

Jesus christ that's depressingly true. I don't think I could have really put that together on my own.

GulMadred posted:

Yes, if you're willing to consider "spending money on social programs" as a valid example. If you want some kind of general Taylor Rule answer (e.g. fertility = marginal tax rate * depreciation rate ÷ GINI coefficient) then I can't help you.

Educated women tend to have fewer children. Women pursuing careers tend to have fewer children. Both of these effects can be mitigated by ensuring that child-related programs (such as family planning, obgyn, parental leave, pediatrics, nutrition, primary education, busing, and daycare) are highly available and delivered at minimal cost to parents. Here's an in-depth case study involving daycare in Norway. Here's a high-level comparison of childcare policies among OECD nations and their effects on fertility rates.

The cheapest legislative answer for a wealthy nation facing sub-replacement fertility is probably "accept more immigrants." But that's not strictly fiscal policy, and it strays into political territory (viz. criminals, rapists, and - I assume - some good people).

These look like good articles, I'll check them out!

Of course the cheapest and easily best way is to just let people the gently caress into your country but I mean.... Like.... yeah lets not go there.

Politics! Stop it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Look, you really can't separate the two too much, considering that the GOP has basically made the Fiscal policy of the Federal Government key to their entire "Prove the Government Is Broken" stratagem.

Kansas, Wisconsin, and now Illinois are living proof that Fiscal Policy is directly and overtly decided, made or destroyed by political agenda and its important to keep that political agenda in view when discussing Fiscal policies and their issues.

Then talk about how fiscal policy destroyed kansas, wis, and Il, how it did, then explain how the politicians exploited people by making something bad seem good. There's a difference between talking about money, talking about politics, and talking about policy. As a divining rod, start from the top down. A fed passes x fiscal policy targeted to solve y, what would happen. Then explain how politics muddles it but base it in something.

Also if you want to talk Kansas you really have to go into how state governments can't run deficits and how it was doomed from the start because of that! Then you can super go into the challenges of fiscal policy coupled without the tools of monetary policy and how that lead to the disaster in kansas. Then you can go into how easy it is to make political argument of "common sense" policy like when people have money they spend money!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Kafka Esq. posted:

Perhaps a reading list would be a good idea. I've been reading The Money Machine: How the City Works and I'm aching for more stuff like it.

Link the amazon write a review I'll add it to the second post.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

asdf32 posted:

The other Asian tigers, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and then Japan before that are the primary examples.

The best conclusion is that it comes down to decent government which is able to improve institutions as the economy develops. With "bad government" (very hard to define) you stall like Argentina (which was unstable and made some huge mistakes).

Can you be more specific with your statement? Draw correlation to what you're saying and talk about what caused it? Provide information or at least "talk in theory"? Explain what parts are missing things like that.

I wouldn't be a hardass about it if the data wasn't out there already.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

asdf32 posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking for but we're pretty far from the topic of the thread. Those are a list of countries which have succeeded at developing.

But development economics is far larger in scope than fiscal or monetary policy. Both play a role behind the scenes but are actually subordinate to the overall political/economic environment (I.E trade policy, regulations, stability, rule of law etc).

Explain how Agentina's "bad government" dictates fiscal policy and how it is crumbling their economy. Or come up with something more imaginative. If you bring up trade policy then that's always interchanged with monetary policy. Regulations are often fiscal policy driven, stability is can be about collecting. Do something.

icantfindaname posted:

Japan shouldn't really be on that list, it started industrializing in the 1880s. You might as well put Germany on there too.

The fact is that South Korea, Taiwan, and a handful of tax havens, oil baronies and city states don't really constitute a meaningful body of evidence that moving past the middle income trap is feasible for most developing countries

What's the middle income trap?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Basically the inability of a country, once it has progressed from a subsistence economy to a basic industrialized one, to continue increases in productivity and GDP, usually because of bad institutions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_income_trap

I think I learned about this back in school a while back in where countries try sending their bright students to foreign colleges to gain a ton of knowledge and then they never move back and waste a lot of money being unable to fund education themselves and get stuck in that cycle.

You could devalue the currency a lot but unless you have something to export besides cheap rear end labor then you're stuck in that. Is India on the cusp of being there?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

So is it safe to say that it's nearly impossible to have good job growth without reasonably low interest rates?

Not... really

It's shown that lower rates do help with unemployment, but that's a tough thing to show when there's so many variable that it could be a hard fact. Plus you're supposed to raise the rates as unemployment is going down so it makes it even harder.

Also austerity is pretty much proven to be good for the economy... when you're rich anyway. It's also good when you have too much growth in the Keynesian sense.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I think this will fit in here.

Do gun buybacks work, or buybacks of illegal goods in general work? Is there a price point you have to hit like market value or something like that, or does making it illegal persuade people to bring it in at a discounted rate. With all of the shootings happening over here I was wondering if anyone knew much about that?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/p/briefing/factsheets/2015/10/08/wall-street-work-for-main-street/

I read through Hillary's wall street plan and thought it was neat. Some key points to it with either questions or comments:

• Hillary said that she would pass legislation that would allow shareholders in a company to vote annually on executive compensation. Is this a good way to curb or even going to happen? Don't CEO's own a ton of stock and would make it really hard to have something like that happen to begin with?
  • Is the "risk fee" proposed within presidential power to enact that fiscal policy?
  • Can the executive branch or federal reserve restrict the liquidity requirements more in the non banking financial institutions, or does a law need to pass through congress to force those institutions to have more liquidity?
  • What would the Volker Rule do to these financial institutions?
  • Didn't even think of extending the statute of limitations. Good call
  • Ohhhh yeah losing a lawsuit is an expense and thus is tax deductible :911:
  • Raising the cap on whistle blowing payments :toot:

Overall good stuff to read I hope the other candidates have equally detailed plans to pick apart. I'd especially like to see a reasonable republican and Sanders do something like this.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Is there any evidence of states responding to federal minimum wage hikes? Do they usually?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

I finished Robert Reich's new book tonight, Saving Capitalism. Basically, the thesis of the thing is that a "free market" still needs a government to set up and enforce the rules of said market (bankruptcy, contracts, property ownership, etc.), so instead of increasing the size of government, we need to change these rules so they work for the middle class/worker class. It's broken up into three parts, the first talking about the building blocks of Capitalism: Property, Monopoly, Contract, Bankruptcy, and Enforcement, and how these rules have been manipulated by the monied elites in America to further work to their advantage. This is where you get talk about the decrease in unions, how bankruptcy law massively favors corporations and the wealthy by not having student loans go away after a bankruptcy, the incredibly weakening of antitrust laws, abuse of copyright laws, and all of the changes over the last 30 or so years that have favored the big banks, wall street, corporations, and the wealthy in general. The second part talks about the myth of people being "worth what their paid", which is only true as a tautology, and how the idea of a meritocracy is flawed. It talks about CEO pay vs. median pay, compensation in ways other than a salary, and more about union busting.

The third part, then, is where he gets to the meat of the book: the policy we should enact. He's in favor of a basic minimum income, especially as more jobs end up destroyed or automated, as well as a lot of the Bernie Sanders Plan; he wants to re-enact Glass-Steagal, massively overhaul the copyright/patent system with strict limits to have innovation and invention benefit the general public more quickly, overturn Citizens United and McCutcheon and put some bones back in campaign law. In other words, your basic progressive plan for America. It's a good book, and it's well worth reading, not for any new ideas, but for a slightly different way of looking at them, as well as another thing you can hit your friends over the head with (literally or metaphorically) if they're being dumb.

How readable is it?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Holy poo poo how much hubris does it take to go on Marketplace and have this interview

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/elections/full-interview-dr-ben-carson-economy

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Did he actually say that? I know he came out saying that he definitely supports getting rid of the AMT, which should be fun to see in the next few weeks.

BEN CARSON: His proposed flat-rate tax, which would have everyone pay an income tax rate of about 15 percent, “works out very well” in budget terms because it would spark enough economic growth to offset the lower rate.

THE FACTS: Carson says his proposed tax would not increase the budget deficit because he would tax the entire economic output of the U.S. — the gross domestic product — plus corporate income and capital gains.

READ MORE: Insurgents vs. mainstream: Debate highlights GOP’s 2 tracks

Carson has not laid out a detailed plan, so it is difficult to measure how it would affect revenues or the economy. But based on what he said, he’s double counting because corporate revenues are part of the GDP.

A tax rate of 15 percent would be a huge tax cut for the wealthy. The top income tax rate for individuals is now 39.6 percent. The corporate tax rate for corporations is 35 percent.

To help offset the rate cuts, Carson said he would “get rid of all the deductions and all the loopholes.” That’s a bold proposal, considering how popular many tax breaks are, including deductions for interest on home mortgages and charitable contributions, as well as exemptions for health insurance and retirement savings.

He also said he was going to tax 15% of GDP at some point. The guy is a economic policy mess.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

e_angst posted:

If there was ever any serious attempt to get rid of the mortgage interest deduction there will be riots in the suburbs. (Not to mention the enormous fight that the banks would put up.)

It's so well deserved though what a horrible policy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

e_angst posted:

I think encouraging home ownership isn't a bad thing. But the amount they let you deduct is kind of crazy and probably skews things too far. Combine it with other policies that incentivize home ownership (like California's Proposition 13) and you end up with a really hosed up market.

Also, there are definitely a lot of middle-class people who don't realize (or at least don't admit) that they are paying the same tax rate as the working poor because of that deduction. Hell, I'm single and pulled around $60k last year. My effective tax rate should have been a little over 18%, but I ended up barely paying 12% (and the refund check I got was much, much bigger than anything I ever got a decade ago, when I was living near the poverty line on two part-time jobs).

It's the amounts you can deduct as you said that are loving dumb absurd. I don't know why people get more than a one time deduction. There would be a literal war however if you took that away.

Pervis posted:

Most middle and upper class people won't admit what their effective tax rate because doing so would undermine all the reasons to poo poo on the poor and talk about how they are paying for the poor, etc. The progressiveness of our tax structure is assumed in all political discussions (as a reason to lower taxes on the rich/business) but doesn't exist anymore in reality, except for very specific circumstances. And then add in poo poo like this (everyone that I know at a startup or who was at a startup, all regular low/mid-level employees did the same trick to get options in to a Roth free and clear):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2012/03/20/how-facebook-billionaires-dodge-mega-millions-in-taxes/

But yes, removing the mortgage interest deduction would restore some of the progressive nature the tax system is supposed to have. It'd also cause an instant an immediate backlash against whoever did it, and would be something only to do after treating capital gains like regular income instead of special bullshit (or worse, tax free at the federal level), actually taxing corporations, and ending the more insane tax shelters that cause real effective tax rates on the rich to be vastly lower than people who make normal amounts of income. About the only way I could see it happening is much like what I've said for removing Prop 13 - a phase out at a time of known housing price increases (as a result of massive lowering of interest rates or something). Even then the political attack ads write themselves.

Wait you can dogpile a bunch of cheap rear end shares from a start up into a roth ira? Am I understanding that correctly?

Also yes on everything else yes it's impossible to remove but gently caress if we could it'd certainly help clarify our progressive tax system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also somewhat related, if I wanted to keep up with the news, should I go with the economist weekly subscription or is there something better? Lets say it needs to be a 5/10 on the readability scale, and a 8/10 on the informative scale if at all possible.

• Locked thread